Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

She's been actively sharing her thoughts as she plays on the Fiesta Discord and it's extremely :allears: watching someone play through FFV for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Moogles are telepathic. And I still found a way to catfish one.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Moogles are telepathic. And I still found a way to catfish one.

You also reached the point where we can all look back at Coneria's dumbass baby bridge and laugh.

Spork Dragon
Jan 3, 2007
I loved this game growing up, my second rpg after Dragon Warrior. The group-on-group combat was mind blowing after the 1 vs 1 of DW. I used the same party as this LP, but I really could have used a mechanics tutorial as my black belt kept using nunchucks until well after class change. I think I was messing around near the starter town admiring the different weapon sprites (also cool, for the time) when I tried punching imps. And oh my god, the monk went completely berserk! I'd basically been dragging him along through most of the game, and all of a sudden he's my hardest hitter. Pretty sure I never took his armor off, as I never knew about the passive absorb.

I was 12, new to games, and this was NOT well explained at all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Spork Dragon posted:

And oh my god, the monk went completely berserk! I'd basically been dragging him along through most of the game, and all of a sudden he's my hardest hitter. Pretty sure I never took his armor off, as I never knew about the passive absorb.
At least the glitch existed so two wrongs made a right!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Good news: I found my screenshots for the in-progress/delayed update for this and my other LP so I don't have to play through the entire game again to get back to where I was.

Bad news: I haven't found my drafts for the updates, so I will need to reverse engineer the updates from the screenshots, with several months of distance between me and when I took them.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Clearly, the culprit is ninjas.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

At least Monks and Samurai's are to blame, which I guess if you combine them together you get a ninja?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

PMush Perfect posted:

Good news: I found my screenshots for the in-progress/delayed update for this and my other LP so I don't have to play through the entire game again to get back to where I was.

Bad news: I haven't found my drafts for the updates, so I will need to reverse engineer the updates from the screenshots, with several months of distance between me and when I took them.

Are... are you me?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CirclMastr posted:

That sounds exactly like what an Elf Prince would say!

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 2, 2020

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

CirclMastr posted:

Well, right now they're thieves.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

ultrafilter posted:

It's hard to appreciate now, but rescuing the princess after the first dungeon was a huge departure from the standard approach to gaming at the time. In pretty much every other game to date with a captured princess, rescuing her was the win condition. The only exception I can think of is Dragon Quest, and there it's still a major quest line that'll take you about halfway through the game. Having that over and done with an hour into the game made it really clear that this was something new.

Actually, in Dragon Warrior rescuing the princess is technically optional; the only requirement for beating the game is to defeat the DragonLord. Rescuing the princess is the game's only sidequest.

The only thing you get for rescuing the princess is the item that helps you locate Erdrick's Token. The token can be found without it by trial and error, prior knowledge of its location from a previous playthrough, or using a FAQ.

Failure to rescue her results in a slightly different ending that mentions your bachelorhood (and no "But thou must!"). You can even do both things simultaneously by rescuing the princess and then killing the DragonLord before taking her back to her castle. The DragonLord will actually have additional dialogue thanking you for bringing his bride to him, saving him the trouble of fetching her from the dungeon himself.

Personally, I don't rescue her; she's kinda obnoxious.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

...! posted:

Failure to rescue her results in a slightly different ending that mentions your bachelorhood (and no "But thou must!"). You can even do both things simultaneously by rescuing the princess and then killing the DragonLord before taking her back to her castle. The DragonLord will actually have additional dialogue thanking you for bringing his bride to him, saving him the trouble of fetching her from the dungeon himself.
IIRC, the castle you need to deliver her to is also the only save point in the entire game. So if you're going for that extra DragonLord dialogue, you're basically doing the remainder of the game as an Ironman run.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

By the time you're ready to take on the Dragonlord, saving the princess is no big deal.

That's an interesting point about the princess being a sidequest. The idea that you have to save the princess in video games was so ingrained by that point that no one ever really thought about not doing it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

By the time you're ready to take on the Dragonlord, saving the princess is no big deal.

That's an interesting point about the princess being a sidequest. The idea that you have to save the princess in video games was so ingrained by that point that no one ever really thought about not doing it.

Most people also expected it to be the end of the game.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

MagusofStars posted:

IIRC, the castle you need to deliver her to is also the only save point in the entire game. So if you're going for that extra DragonLord dialogue, you're basically doing the remainder of the game as an Ironman run.

The princess is literally just a few steps out of the way on the run from Tantegel to Charlock. You have to walk right by her cell just to get through the Swamp Cave. It's a two minute detour to grab her then keep going to the DragonLord. You're making it sound like you're going to have to grind/quest for hours after freeing her or something.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013

...! posted:

The princess is literally just a few steps out of the way on the run from Tantegel to Charlock. You have to walk right by her cell just to get through the Swamp Cave. It's a two minute detour to grab her then keep going to the DragonLord. You're making it sound like you're going to have to grind/quest for hours after freeing her or something.

I think he's suggesting that It's only possible by getting the princess first, as normally intended, and then continue the rest of the game without ever going back to deliver her.

As opoosed to skipping her entirely, doing everything *except* the DragonLord, and then backtracking for her right before the final boss.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As noted earlier, the Princess is entirely optional; she helps you find an item hidden on the overworld but it's absolutely possible to find it with some careful counting -- you get given coordinates with respect to the starting point, and what the Princess does is tell you your position with respect to the castle. But you can just wander off into the wilderness and mentally track your position.

So you can in fact do everything required to get access to the Dragonlord without ever visiting the Princess, then nab her en route to endgame.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

...! posted:

I just think it's a neat little quirk of the game system that since you only have one place to save AND that's the place you drop off the princess, going for that dialogue means you are not allowed to save.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You can save the game before you rescue the princess, it really doesn't change anything.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
The point is that you can't save AFTER rescuing her without turning her in.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's 2020. We got save states now. We're civilized. The long nightmare is over.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

DGM_2 posted:

The point is that you can't save AFTER rescuing her without turning her in.

Yeah but she's in a super low level area. The only thing you're not saving is the fact that you rescued her, it doesn't change anything about the walk to the dragonlord in any meaningful way.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Off topic but OP, how was the fiesta, did you finish it? I’ve been meaning to do it one of these years but it was a busy time for me this year.

I never got FF1 on cartridge but I played DW when I was 6 or 7 and then moved right to FF4. FF1 was this mythic game for me that was always too expensive at funcoland, then I figured out emulators and got my poo poo kicked in. I think I gave up on it on some cave that hasn’t come up yet, I don’t remember too well. Even though it was different, I was glad the GBA port made it easy enough to run through without much grinding.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

JackBandit posted:

Off topic but OP, how was the fiesta, did you finish it? I’ve been meaning to do it one of these years but it was a busy time for me this year.

I never got FF1 on cartridge but I played DW when I was 6 or 7 and then moved right to FF4. FF1 was this mythic game for me that was always too expensive at funcoland, then I figured out emulators and got my poo poo kicked in. I think I gave up on it on some cave that hasn’t come up yet, I don’t remember too well. Even though it was different, I was glad the GBA port made it easy enough to run through without much grinding.
I was gonna do five runs, but I ended up burning out after three, and my first was blind. Didn’t get any triple crowns, though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I started replaying FF1 a couple days ago and I've gotta say, the music is absolutely grating.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Goon posted:

I started replaying FF1 a couple days ago and I've gotta say, the music is absolutely grating.
Some of it is good! But it exclusively being thirty second loops bugs a lot of people I know.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Plus it resets the loop every time basically anything happens.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Really my main complaint is that it's way too high pitched. That the loops reset whenever you blink is a close second, but I think I could live with that if not for the first part.

E: elucidation

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 13, 2020

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
What about the “weeeer whoooa” when the dialogues open and close, what a silly choice by the designers. Or am I thinking of another game

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
You're thinking of FF1. And I don't know, I find that kind of weirdly charming. Like the "weeeer" is them saying "Oh hai player", and then "whoooa" is "Bai now", or something.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Plus it resets the loop every time basically anything happens.

I remember one time where I basically redid the entire soundtrack in the last dungeon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Q2mOmCf5M&t=369s

That quirk was actually one of the trickier problems I ran into while doing that. Whatever song I picked, it needed to be good right from the get-go. Otherwise, it would just reset before ever getting to "the good parts" :cheeky: .

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fighter/Fighter/Red Mage/Red Mage is an absolutely wild party, and I'm here for it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently there's a new randomizer or something out for FF1, which made me think about this.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Apparently there's a new randomizer or something out for FF1, which made me think about this.
Really? I know about the usual FF1R which has been around for years and (along with Link to the Past) basically kicked off the randomizer trend...but wasn't aware there was a totally new project.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ooh, how's it work?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

shrug. just saw it on the FFV fest discord when I was at work and decided it was a flimsy enough pretense to nudge the thread :v:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Ooh, how's it work?
The existing FF1 randomizer, I'm not super familiar with, but it basically turns Final Fantasy into a pseudo-open world game with a lot of areas open right from the start. Your overall goal is to still to activate the four Orbs, then kick Chaos' rear end in the past, like the normal game, but you don't necessarily visit the areas in the same order. Chests containing items are randomized so you might get a White Shirt in an early chest, spell levels are randomized so L1 magic might include like Nuke or Cure3, and the location of Key Items (e.g., Oxyale to get to Sea Shrine) is also shuffled around. There are also a few minor map changes, so if you get the Canoe or Floater early, it opens a bunch of places right off the bat. There are also toggles to increase XP and money gains, while decreasing the random encounter rate, so games of the randomizer typically are significantly faster than a normal game.

If you're interested, races are usually on one of the Speedgaming Twitch channels a couple times a week and it's part of SpeedgamingLive which starts next week (2nd I think?) and runs for like a week, so if you check around, you should be able to catch some and see if it piques your interest.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Ooh, how's it work?

my first run i got nuke as a Level one spell

so i think its friggin great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hello, friends! It’s been a while, hasn’t it? I’ll cut to the chase, this isn’t a “this LP is still alive, honest!” post. But it’s not a confirmation of a dead LP either. It’s a confirmation of something I’ve said in other places but yet to make explicit here:

This LP is on official hiatus until after I finish my Pokémon Stadium LP. Running two at once just isn’t something I’m capable of at this time in my life, and trying to force it hasn’t been good for me. But my LP niche is doing weird infotainment runs of janky retro games, and there are few more deserving than FF1 NES. So, I’ll be back. Just not for a while yet.

See y’all then!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 10, 2021