Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oops, already time for a correction!

Old Info posted:

Random encounters are handled differently than you might expect- instead of each square having a random chance, you are instead guaranteed a battle after every X steps in an area where one can take place. In the overworld, this is always 10 steps. (Though some areas not having encounter data can complicate that a bit.)

Here's the real fun part: The RNG for what encounter you get is rolled whenever you first enter a floor or map, and isn't rerolled at the end of the encounter. Not only that, but the "RNG" is actually a preset pattern, it's just the starting point that's random. So, by keeping track of your steps and knowing the encounter table, you can actually perfectly predict what enemies you're going to fight. Not really relevant for a casual player, more just interesting trivia, but it's the kind of trick that speedrunners love.

Corrected Info posted:

Random encounters are handled differently than you might expect- instead of each square having a random chance, you are instead guaranteed a battle after every X steps in an area where one can take place. After your first battle in an area, you know exactly how many steps it will take for the next one. (Certain areas in the overworld not actually having encounter data makes this a little more complicated, but the concept is sound, and it's predictable enough in dungeons to be noticed even just by an observant casual player.)

Here's the real fun part: The RNG for what encounter you get isn't rerolled until you turn the NES off. Not only that, but said "RNG" is actually a completely preset pattern. So, by keeping track of your steps and knowing the encounter table, you can perfectly predict what enemies you're going to fight and when. You need the tables handy for that to really be relevant info, but it's the kind of trick that speedrunners love. (It also means that trying to find certain rare encounters is a special circle of hell. There will be locations where I simply throw my hands up and say I'll talk about an enemy when we get to an area where it's more common.)

This will probably happen more than a few times during the LP, and I'll be editing the relevant updates as the errors are discovered (either by myself or when I'm corrected.) Final Fantasy 1 is the special kind of game that's both mechanically obtuse and extremely well-documented, so there will always be times when one of my personal misconceptions slips through and can actually be corrected instead of going by unnoticed.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 17, 2020

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. The other two Guardians are Baou and Ceal. Tiny bit of Yugioh trivia, Butterfly Dagger - Elma is extremely banned, and likely will be for the rest of the game's lifespan unless it receives an errata. It just allows for too many infinite loops.

I should have known the source of the names, as my wife and I are just finishing watching that arc on Amazon Prime, but I think the incoherence of the arc's plot was too distracting. There was a lot of "Wait, when was THAT even remotely hinted at?". The snarkiness of the characters was cranked up by about 1000% though, so it did have that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Randalor posted:

I should have known the source of the names, as my wife and I are just finishing watching that arc on Amazon Prime, but I think the incoherence of the arc's plot was too distracting. There was a lot of "Wait, when was THAT even remotely hinted at?". The snarkiness of the characters was cranked up by about 1000% though, so it did have that.
That was about when Yu-Gi-Oh started to dabble with being its own Abridged Series at times, right? (Parts of GX are almost notorious for this.)

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

PMush Perfect posted:

Here's the real fun part: The RNG for what encounter you get isn't rerolled until you turn the NES off. Not only that, but said "RNG" is actually a completely preset pattern. So, by keeping track of your steps and knowing the encounter table, you can perfectly predict what enemies you're going to fight and when. You need the tables handy for that to really be relevant info, but it's the kind of trick that speedrunners love.

At AGDQ 2017, there was a 4-hour speedrun of FF1 and they spend a lot of time talking about how to control the RNG in realtime runs. It's worth a look, though since it is four hours long it is maybe not worth your undivided attention. The part that stuck with me is that a cart fresh from the factory, one that had had its battery removed and replaced, or one that had watched the ending all the way through to the very last bit of animation all had identical RNG state and this could be used as a known-good start value.

The level of control in real-time of FF1, at least as of 2017, was impressive but not at the level of the absolutely mind-boggling realtime RNG-control run of Dragon Warrior one year later.

Offhand I don't know how far FF1 realtime RNG manipulation has advanced since then, but that DW run is what the holy grail looks like.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ManxomeBromide posted:

The level of control in real-time of FF1, at least as of 2017, was impressive but not at the level of the absolutely mind-boggling realtime RNG-control run of Dragon Warrior one year later.

Offhand I don't know how far FF1 realtime RNG manipulation has advanced since then, but that DW run is what the holy grail looks like.

That Dragon Warrior run is seriously impressive. I dunno how those people could handle doing perfect inputs constantly over that much time, in front of a crowd. Let alone keeping track of everything to see if they're doing things right. :catstare: Even if some marathon safety measures were put in place.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'd think a set pattern would make it easier to find rare encounters? Just look up in a table online after how many battles it will appear, then run away from n-1 battles.

I guess unless there's also a small chance of it having a special drop and it only appears every 1 out of a gazillion times.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You wouldn't have to worry about the 2nd thing in this game since enemies don't drop items in the NES version of Final Fantasy.

The workarounds they had to implement for not being able to implement certain design choices in this game is rather interesting as well. FF1 is certainly an interesting game mechanically. Looking forward to seeing all that gone over.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Level 02: I, GrWOLF, Will Knock You All Down!

Black and White Mage being present was definitive pretty much from the beginning, but Red Mage and Black Belt were in constant competition for 3rd place. There were several points where I could have just stopped the poll to force whichever choice I prefered. In the end, that is exactly what I did, choosing Black Belt because their unique mechanics are interesting, while Red Mage's are a bit redundant if we have both kinds of dedicated caster.

So, everyone say hello to our new heroes, Hack Blowfist, Punt Speedchunk, Dirk Hardpec, and Buff Drinklots! Shout out to CirclMastr for the name theme idea.

Once again, our Fighter leads the party, and will be providing consistent physical damage, as well as taking the majority of the hits. Behind him, Punt has been moved up from third slot to second. This will be problematic at first, while the Black Belt's natural defense struggles to overcome his mediocre armor selection. This will be less of an issue within a couple updates, and he will eventually reach a point where his defenses are more formidable than a Red Mage's, but for the moment, he's something of a frail second slot.

Speaking of frail, Dirk and Buff, our mages, take up the last two slots. Neither of them will have any kinds of serious armor options for a good while yet, so the vast majority of our healing is going to go to keeping these two on their feet. They are very much going to be pulling their weight, though, especially once we start getting access to 3rd Level spells.

All in all, I'm going to be feeling the hurt from not having a Red Mage as a secondary meat shield at first. Even once Punt starts to get decent Absorb, the party will never be the bulkiest, but we've got a good amount of potential lethality. I suspect that for the majority of the game, the attrition of random encounters will be much more dangerous to us than the boss battles.

New characters means it's time for more shopping! Buying a second Cloth instead of a Chain Armor leaves us with enough money for both of our casters to get a spell. Dirk picks up FIRE and Buff grabs HARM. This early on, with such a small margin for error before someone drops, I value being able to end problem encounters in the Temple quickly much more than I do a couple free potions. We'll pick up some more spells later.

And by later I mean now! Said frailty also motivates me to grind up to Level 2 before setting out, which almost doubles everyone's HP, and gives me enough money to pick up FOG and SLEP. Against strong enemies or large groups, FOG's +8 Absorb can end up saving much more HP than a single cast of CURE. Ounce of prevention, pound of CURE, terrible pun, etc. etc. This requires I actually pick the right person to buff, though, rather than getting to heal after-the-fact, so we'll see if this pays off or not.

♫ Temple of Fiends ♫
From here on, I'll probably only be linking music the first time it shows up, but I really, really like the Temple of Fiends tune.

The Temple of Fiends has a whole host of new enemies, as well as larger groups of ones we've seen before. It's not uncommon for the battle you have before reaching GARLAND tax you more than the battle itself. In a casual playthrough, I'd just push right through rather than deal with some of the poo poo here, but I decided I wanted to be thorough, so here we go.

In the southwest corner we find our first supplemental piece of armor, a Cap. It only increases Absorb by 1, but it can be worn by anyone. For now, I give it to Punt. He'll be taking as many attacks on average as Dirk and Buff combined, and he needs that boost much more than Hack does. In the northwest is a free Potion, and a CABIN, the mid-tier mobile save/heal item that I will soon regret not marching right outside to use immediately. (Foreshadowing!)

In the northeast and southeast are two rooms which we can't open until we get the KEY, several levels and bosses from now, but we'll be back for them. Probably.

GrWOLFs are similar to the GrIMPs we've already seen, a significantly stronger, tougher version usually accompanied by several of their weaker brethren. They've also got the highest Evade we'll be seeing until we get the Ship (spoilers). BONEs and ZOMBIEs are much less threatening, basically frailer GrIMPs who also have a vulnerability to getting nuked by HARM... though you'd probably be better off saving those for the GHOUL. Though we only see a single one at a time right now, GHOULs are beefy enemies who hit three times, more than hard enough to knock Dirk or Buff on their rear end if it gets lucky with its damage rolls and we're not fully topped up. They're also the first enemy we see who can deal a status effect: Paralysis. A Paralyzed hero has a 75% chance to miss their turn, and have their Evade reduced to 0 until they do manage to take a turn again. Paralysis is a motherfucker, and pulling out all the stops on a group of enemies who can inflict it is rarely a bad idea.

Of the other enemies in the area, SPIDERs aren't worth mentioning until their Poisonous palette swaps show up. WrWOLFs and CREEPs are both extremely rare this early on, and dangerous enough that it's probably better that I didn't find them while half-cocked and Level 2. We actually hit Level 3 while I'm wandering around looking for them, though, and I start getting a little bored and sloppy, thoughtlessly mashing through most of the encounters I come across.

This turns out to be a very bad idea.

After hiking back up to the Temple and reclaiming those lost items and XP, I decide to just go ahead and head straight in for the boss rather than spend any more time looking for CREEPs to get my poo poo pushed in by.

I said earlier that some of the encounters in this area scare me more than GARLAND, and I stand by that. He's got a touch over 100 HP and some solid Absorb, but doesn't hit any harder than a GrWOLF, and those come with back-up and good Evade. A couple of FIREs and some solid thwacks, and we knock him all down. It's actually kind of anticlimactic. At least he drops 250 Gold.

As soon as we talk to the princes, we're immediately warped back to Coneria, and talking to the King and Princess get us a bridge and a 2000 year old Lute which totally won't be important later, what gave you that idea?

While we're in the area, I pick up the last two Level 1 spells we need (LIT for Dirk and, finally, CURE for Buff), as well as a few items. There are only a handful of different consumable items in FF1, and these three are by far the ones we'll be using the most often. Heal Potions restore 16-32 HP to a character on use, the same amount as the basic CURE spell. Pure Potions remove Poison from a character, a nasty status ailment that doesn't go away until cured (even if you rest at an inn), and deals damage every step in the overworld. We will be buying lots and lots of both kinds over the course of the game, and they have to be bought one at a time, no bulk purchases. Forget level grinding, item shopping is where I'm really going to get the most use out of my turbo button.

TENTs are the cheapest and most common in a series of three types of items (of which CABINs are the mid-tier.) When used outdoors, they restore 30 HP to all party members and, more importantly, allow you to save. This can be used both to keep me from eating too much poo poo if I overextend in a dungeon and, once they don't cost so much relative to my income, I will also be able to use them to seed the RNG and (hopefully) make finding certain rare encounters easier. If I had infinite patience, I could also buy up a ton of them and use them for significantly more efficient out-of-battle healing in the overworld than using Potions.

...though it may be surprising, considering what I choose to do with my free time, I do not have infinite patience.

♫ Opening Theme ♫

Neither do you, dear reader, so let's get on with the game. (Seamless segue!)

A few more screens of story and credits, and we're free to explore the world continent next area.

Here's a map of what we've got access to so far, blacked out not to keep the map a secret (it's hardly difficult to find), but just for keeping the exploration we've done focused.. From the new Coneria bridge, we can head either north between the mountains, or east along the coast.

Going north isn't much but a long detour until we need to visit Matoya for plot reasons, and we're actually a bit underleveled for the area, so I'm going to just head straight east. The distance from Coneria to our next destination is about half-again as far as it was to the Temple, and with some much more dangerous encounters to boot.

We've got some returning faces in much larger groups, more than happy to push my poo poo in if I get cocky or cheap about when to heal back up.

This is the first area where CREEPs come out in force, and they're quite the adversary, actually hitting slightly harder than GARLAND, though with lower Absorb, half as much HP, and, crucially, a weakness to Fire. They're less dangerous than they would've been now that Dirk can use his spells a bit more liberally. OGREs have no such weaknesses, and stats roughly comparable to GARLAND, including HP and Absorb. IGUANAs are even tougher, and have a dangerously high 5% critical hit chance, but at least they have the common decency to spawn alone. OGREs will happily come at you with CREEPs in tow, or even in pairs.

PMush's Opinions Corner: Up until this point, it was possible to stumble through the game without much level grinding if you were the right combination of ambitious, naive, and lucky. This trip disabuses you of the notion that you can just waltz from A to B. Even the simplest of these encounters is likely to be at least as taxing and deadly as the GARLAND fight, often moreso. Old RPGs catch a lot of flak for artificially expanding playtime with level grinding, but it's a necessary evil of fitting long RPGs into tiny bits of data, and I genuinely think that FF1 did it about as well as anyone could. Every time you get access to a new area, you bump into enemies who are strong enough to kick you out of your complacency, without being immediate guaranteed kills. (Unless you're already overextending, in which case, :rip:.)

A player is put in a position where they can either turn back, and grind against easier enemies, or take the risks and rewards of staying in the current area, their strength and strategy being improved on the fly. That's not something that just happens, it requires deliberate decision making in how the encounter maps are designed, and I don't think Final Fantasy 1 would be nearly as successful as it was if it just mercilessly punched you in the face as soon as you stepped a toe out of line. It's not a perfect system, there are still occasions where you can end up way over your head by mistake, but there are also opportunities to get in over your head on purpose, and I think moments like that are what really make a great adventure game.

I've reached Level 4 by the time we get to our destination, the port city of Pravoka. I actually end up running in and out to heal and level grind for a bit, until I reach Level 5. Probably not necessary, but after my third time almost getting trampled to death by four MADPONYs, I've decided that I'd rather be safe than sorry when I'm working on an LP while I play.

Then I step out and back in one more time for a clean screenshot and narrative consistency.

Next Level: Yarr! Set sail for adventure!

Party Status

s

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 27, 2020

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Oh nice, I'm just getting into Final Fantasy lately, so this is perfectly timed for me to follow. Weird technical nonsense is also fun.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The short-list on likely future updates includes "what do stats do" and "how did FF1 fit so many sprites on a line at once'

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The one thing I'll really hand to Final Fantasy over some other games in its genre, is that, barring one oversight, the areas with higher strength enemies are better telegraphed. Just a shame that its direct sequel threw that out the window.

"Oh, you went south from the starting town instead of north? EAT HIGH LEVEL ENEMIES NIGH-INVULNERABLE TO PHYSICAL ATTACKS!".

I'm kind of happy we didn't get Final Fantasy 2 here until much, much later, that may have made me swear off of RPGs for a long time.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ff2 for the gba (specificity very neccesary) is one of my favorite final fantasies

I love ff1gba too but the usage of mp over a vancian system really changes how the game is played and they're basically completely different experiences. I've never really been able to get into the nes ff1 bc of that

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Here's a map of what we've got access to so far, taken from the GBA remake because I couldn't find a good full-sized map of the original that wasn't annotated to hell and back.

Here's one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You can't talk about Temple of Fiends and not link its insanely good Dissidia remix!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0ZArSEaN8Q

Talking about Dissidia, here's Garland's iconic line said by his VA, Chris Sabat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09u_s5MYnDA

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Given the tv and movies I watched growing up, I always pictured my FF party as the following characters-

Fighter- HeMan
Black Belt- Bruce Lee, especially with the Nunchuks.
White Mage- Princess Leia
Black Mage- Orko (HeMan’s wizard buddy)
Red Mage- Gandalf’s Red counterpart.
Thief- didn’t really have anyone, I didn’t get into fantasy thieves until I discovered D&D about five years after first playing this game. :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Procrastine posted:

Here's one.
Thank you!

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

About the speedrun discussion from earlier, the current route is RNG manipulated. The overworld movement uses step counts like was said. In battle, they just use one fighter and off the rest of the party. They back up a certain number of times, then attack. There are two animations for backing up depending on which button you press, one long and one short. Afaik, this lets them choose any frame. They can make sure each input happens as soon as possible by holding the button during the animations (buffered inputs).

This is just what I gathered from watching a run, not actually doing it, so take it with a grain of salt.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

So nice to see the rare Grape Imps and the endangered Grape Wolves making a comeback! :downs:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I was far, far too old when I realized that was short for great and that they weren't growling

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Correction time: There are actually five spells that don't work. TMPR, SABR, LOCK, LOK2, and the Level 8 White Magic spell XFER, which is supposed to strip elemental resistances.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

FoolyCharged posted:

I was far, far too old when I realized that was short for great and that they weren't growling

I always thought it was short for "grey". Even though they looked purple.

I thought it was like how some animals get called "blue" or "red" or "golden" when they're really not, ok?

But instead of calling them "grey imps" I would just call them "grimps".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FoolyCharged posted:

It never occurred to me until reading this LP that it wasn't "Grey".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A small preview of the coming mechanics post:

quote:

At level 31, Punt, unarmed and buffed with FAST, will be making sixteen attacks per round, with a minimum Base Damage at least in the low 40s, and each of those will have, as we'll cover in a moment, a 62% chance to be a critical hit.

Turns out Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzHE5q1NGa4

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mechanics Corner: Leveling and Statistics
I really can't put this one off for long, can I? It's the thread title, and gives context for a lot of the equipment and enemy stats that come up. This is an extremely long one, so either buckle in, or just scroll past this whole post full of nonsense.

Level
Character level starts at 1, and has a maximum of 50. A well-kitted and smartly-played party can easily beat Chaos at Level 30, and anything above Level 35 is kind of overkill. Challenge parties or single-character runs may prefer to get higher level for that needed edge, but unless you're absolutely bumbling through the game, you probably won't even see Level 40.

Max HP
Each class has a certain starting Max HP, from 35 for the Fighter to 25 for the Black Mage. When that character levels, they gain VIT/4 more HP, plus an additional 20-25 at certain levels depending on the predetermined stat growth of that class. This 20-25 range is the only variable in HP growth outside of VIT gains, and, thus, save scumming to max out HP growth marginal at best (except maybe for Dirk, who needs all the help he can get.)

Spell Slots
Magic users get a certain number of casts, based on their class and level. Red, White, and Black mages have this pre-baked from the beginning, and the gains do not change after stat growth or class change. A Level 5 Black or White Mage will always have four 1st Level sells, three 2nd Level, and a single 3rd Level. Generally speaking, spell levels are gained well before you actually have access to those spells. (Dirk and Buff could theoretically cast Level 2 spells all the way back when we were flattening IMPs, well before we could buy any.) Knights and Ninjas, who don't gain spells until the class-change, instead gain a charge of every Spell Level they have access to at every odd level up. These cap at four casts per level, so if you somehow manage to class change after level 43, you won't be able to get them all.

Experience
I initially couldn't figure out the pattern for how much EXP it takes to get to the next level, but poster Procrastine put together that the formula is Current Level^2 * 39 (plus or minus a bit because computer-math), up until Level 30, at which point it requires the same amount of EXP every level. (32,799 to 32,800.) The practical effect of this is that it takes the same amount of time to get from 30 to 31 as it does to get from 49 to 50, so if I did want to max the party out, it wouldn't take nearly as long as it otherwise might.

Leveling Up
At every level, each class has certain stats that are 100% guaranteed a +1 increase, while all other stats have a 25% chance to get a +1 increase. A TAS could, thus, guarantee that every character gets every stat increased at every level, even a poor Black Mage's Vitality, which is only guaranteed to increase once every five levels. That is not even remotely practical for me, so I'll just be going with whatever the game gives me.

As for the stat-ups we've gotten so far, we've actually been fairly unlucky, with the only unplanned stat gains being a single point each of Vitality and Luck for Buff. Hopefully this trend doesn't hold, but I've been hit by the LP curse pretty badly in the past, so we'll see.

Raw Statistics
There are five raw statistics in FF1 NES, Strength, Agility, Intelligence, Vitality, and Luck. Three of them are important, one is marginal, and one is the namesake for the thread. What they do (or are supposed to do) is pretty simple, so I'll go over them quickly before moving on to the important stats.

Strength
One half of a character's Strength, (usually) rounded down, is added to the Damage of their attacks. This can add an extremely solid chunk to their base damage, especially early on. (Case in point, despite wielding a weapon with a Damage stat of 9, Hack's raw Damage is more than double that, while Dirk's isn't even enough to overcome the Absorb of most of the monsters we're encountering at this point.)

Agility
Agility increases Evade% by an amount equal to itself. If the character is at the front of the party, it also increases the chance of a preemptive strike, and decreases the chance of an ambush. (I'll be covering the full mechanics of ambushes in a later update.)

Intelligence
Presumably, what Intelligence is supposed to do is increase the hit chance for status spells, and the 'crit' chance for regular spells. By the end of the game, many enemies have Magic Defense so high that certain status spells simply will not work, even if the enemy isn't supposed to be resistant to it. What it instead does is, you guessed it, nothing. There's no code anywhere in the game that references a character's Int. Dirk, whose only good stat growth is Intelligence, weeps at the knowledge that being goony has no bearing on how good he is at killing OGREs.

Vitality
The only thing Vitality does is increase HP gained per level by itself divided by 4. That's extremely important, but we already talked about HP gain, so there's not much else to say here.

Luck
Like Agility, Luck increases the chance of a preemptive strike, and decreases the chance of an ambush. It also has an effect on how likely a character is to run away, but... well, we'll get into Run chance another time. Unlike in other, later, Final Fantasy games, Luck has no bearing on critical hit rate.

Image reposted to save you a bit of scrolling.

Derived Statistics
Ah, here's what's important. These are the stats that are actually relevant in combat, and the ones affected by gear and spells (usually).

Damage
The base Damage of the character's attack, multiplied by a random variable between x1 and x2 when an attack hits. For everyone but the Black Belt, this is simply their weapon's Damage value, plus half their Strength. Black Belts wielding weapons add an additional +1 damage on top of this, while unarmed Black Belts instead simply use double their level plus half their Strength. At level 8, Punt's Base Damage will match the strongest weapon he has access to, and one more level after, it will exceed it. By level 15, his base damage with exceed everything but the two most powerful weapons in the game. I use this phrase a lot, but I think it's warranted here: Black Belts do not gently caress around. This is even more notable because of...

Hit% Base Hit
Rather than rolling 1d100 like the statistic implies, Final Fantasy 1 instead rolls a d200. This makes both Hit% and Evade% exactly half as effective as they seem to be on the surface. Thus, for the sake of clarity, I will refer to the stats as Base Hit and Base Evade for the rest of the LP, rather than Hit% and Evade%. Base Hit is determined by Class and Level, rather than statistic. A Level 50 Fighter would have a Base Hit of 160, while a Level 1 Black Mage has a measly 5.

If the d200 roll is below the attack's accuracy, the attack hits. If it's above, it misses. The raw Base Hit of an attack before modifiers is 168/200, or 84%, and the character's Base Hit is added on top of that. Because the game reads the character's permanent for Base Hit value rather than the temporary value, any other potential bonuses are actually ignored. (This is why the spells TMPR and SABR do not work, nor do midgame weapons that are supposed to have a bonus against certain monster types.)

Once the final Base Hit is determined, to a max of 255, the target's Evade is subtracted, as are any attack penalties, such as a +80 to Base Evade if the target has cast RUSE. Yes, despite Base Hit changes not working, Base Evade buffs do. Only the buffs, in fact. Reductions to the Base Evade are also ignored, possibly because they use the same never-actually-referenced code as Hit buffs. This is why LOCK doesn't work. Another quirk of the damage system, Base Evade is subtracted after the 255 Base Hit cap is applied, thus, any amount of Base Hit above 87% does nothing... for how likely you are to hit. (Dun dun duuuuun!)

Base Hit also has another effect for player characters: Number of attacks. When a character performs the Attack command, for every 32 points of Base Hit, they make an additional attack. Another 11 Base Hit, and Hack will be attacking twice per round. Each attack rolls accuracy, damage, and crit chance separately. (This isn't completely obvious on the surface, as the game never tells you if you make more than one critical hit with an attack.) So a character's number of attacks is 1+(Base Hit/32), rounded down. ...usually. Once again, there are modifiers to this. The FAST spell doubles the number of attacks, after it's calculated, as does being an unarmed Black Belt.

At level 31, Punt, unarmed and buffed with FAST, will be making sixteen attacks per round, with a minimum Base Damage at least in the low 40s. Black Belts do not gently caress around.

Absorb
Compared to the multi-paragraph essay I just wrote about Base Hit, Absorb is extremely simple. The total damage of each attack, after the x1-x2 Base Damage roll, will be reduced by Absorb, to a minimum of 1. Spells that increase Absorb do, in fact, work. For most characters, their Absorb is simply the total Absorb of their armor. Unarmored Black Belts instead have Absorb equal to their level. This is already even with the armor Punt is wearing, and will quickly exceed it, though it will never come close to Hack's Absorb, and by late game, the secondary benefits of armor begin to outweigh the slight Absorb drop. (At least without the use of a glitch, which we will talk about... eventually.)

Evade% Base Evade
This was already covered pretty thoroughly in the Base Hit section, so I'll be brief. A character's Base Evade is increased by their Agility, and decreased by any penalties from their armor. Also, spells that buff Base Evade stack with themselves and each other, to a cap of 255. It is possible, with repeated castings, to have a party member, or even your entire party, be hit by physical attacks less than 1% of the time. This can be a lifesaver against certain high-damage monsters and bosses, but won't do anything against spells or enemy special effects. That duty falls to...

Derived Statistics Formulas
If it's easier to see it simplified and in one place like this. UBB: Unarmed/Unarmored Black Belt
Damage: Weapon Damage + (Str/2) [UBB: Level*2]
Base Hit: Class Base + Weapon Bonus
Number of Attacks: 1 + (Base Hit/32), rounded down. [FAST: x2] [UBB: x2]
Absorb: Total Armor Absorb [UBB: Level]
Base Evade: 45(ish) + Agility - Armor Penalty

Hidden Statistics
Completely obfuscated from the player are two more stats, Magic Defense, and Crit Chance.

Magic Defense
With a starting value and growth based entirely on class, Magic Defense affects three things, all of which are important. First, your M.Def impacts your chance of taking less damage from a magic attack. 50% less, in fact. Second, a high M.Def reduces the likelihood of a status spell taking effect, everything from the humble SLEP to late game instant kill spells like RUB and QAKE. And third, it impacts the chance of a monster's attacks applying their secondary effect. (Paralyze, Poison, etc.) The mechanics are complicated, obfuscated, and kind of dumb, so I won't go into detail about them, but the important information is that different classes (and monsters) have different chances to avoid negative and take less damage from spells. An interesting bug, though, the increase in this stat for different classes appears to be switched around, as classes with the highest starting Magic Defense have the lowest growths, and the Master's Magic Defense growth is 75% lower than the Black Belt's. Monsters also get increasingly high M.Def as the game goes on, making it less and less likely that offensive spells will deal full damage or status spells will make their mark. There's no way to impact this stat, or really even predict its effects, and most players won't even know it exists. I'm only covering it for completion's sake.

Crit Chance
Now here's something more important. When an attack crits, the x1-x2 Damage roll is doubled, and the extra damage ignores Absorb. If an attack with a rolled damage of 20 lands a crit against an enemy with 10 Absorb, the attack will deal 30 damage total. However if that attack is made against an enemy with an Absorb of 255, it will still deal 21 damage. This is extremely crucial for dealing physical damage to high-absorb monsters and bosses, and makes Crit Chance something of a god stat.

Monsters have baked-in crit chances, usually just a couple percent, while for an armed character, it is based on their weapon's unique crit chance. Not the intended crit chance, though, as the variable that's read is, as I touched on before, instead read by the weapon's placement in the weapon table. A Knight wielding his ultimate weapon, Xcalber, will be getting a critical hit about 20% of the time. That's a lot, right? Well, yes, but once again, unarmed Black Belts are completely busted, as their % to crit is just about Level%. Wait, no, sorry, Level*2%. Those sixteen attacks Punt could be making? Each of them has a 62% crit chance, rolled individually, so on average, ten of them will be dealing 40+ extra damage that ignores Absorb, no matter how high it is.

In summation: Black Belts do not gently caress around.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 22, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Black Belts Don't gently caress Around: Let's Play Final Fantasy 1 NES!

Also I'm pretty sure you don't need HP to level up unless the old games are even weirder than I thought.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I'm pretty sure you don't need HP to level up unless the old games are even weirder than I thought.
I am very smart. :j:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Any plans to talk about the Invisible NPC in the Castle?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Any plans to talk about the Invisible NPC in the Castle?
I actually forgot about her. I'll hit her up after we get the KEY.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I wonder if anyone's tried to do a romhack that unfucks the code

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
See, basic glitches like Int not working is the kind of thing that turns me off playing the OG FF1. I'll stick to the remakes, sorry.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I wonder if anyone's tried to do a romhack that unfucks the code
Ask and you shall receive.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What are folks' opinions on blitzing updates while I've got the urge (and the screenshots all ready to go) versus spacing them out over a few days?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

What are folks' opinions on blitzing updates while I've got the urge (and the screenshots all ready to go) versus spacing them out over a few days?

PMush Perfect posted:

Black Belts do not gently caress around.

I don't feel like smart money is on stopping a monk blitzing.

Seriously what else are we doing with our time? go ahead blitz away.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

FeyerbrandX posted:

I don't feel like smart money is on stopping a monk blitzing.

Seriously what else are we doing with our time? go ahead blitz away.

Right? We're all (presumably) staying home as much as possible and everyone knows goons don't procreate so there's no homeschooling kids to worry about so you go as fast as you like

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 18, 2020

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Experience
Like much of the mechanics of FF1, the formula for how much EXP is needed to level is done in math that's very easy for computers to understand, but much harder for humans without degrees in CompSci or Calculus. There isn't even an easy ballparking, and believe me, I've tried. If you come up with one that doesn't sound like algebra homework, give me a shout.

From what I can tell, leveling up takes around 39 * (current level)^2 exp up to level 30, then alternates between 32800 and 32799 each level. This isn't 100% accurate, but it's only off by 6 exp by level 30.

If anyone wants to analyze further, here's the raw exp numbers:

code:
L 2:     40 (+   40)      L18:  69617 (+11272)      L35: 497648 (+32799)
L 3:    196 (+  156)      L19:  82253 (+12636)      L36: 530448 (+32800)
L 4:    547 (+  351)      L20:  96332 (+14079)      L37: 563247 (+32759)
L 5:   1171 (+  624)      L21: 111932 (+15600)      L38: 596047 (+32800)
L 6:   2146 (+  975)      L22: 129131 (+17199)      L39: 628846 (+32799)
L 7:   3550 (+ 1404)      L23: 148008 (+18877)      L40: 661646 (+32800)
L 8:   5461 (+ 1911)      L24: 168639 (+20631)      L41: 694445 (+32799)
L 9:   7957 (+ 2496)      L25: 191103 (+22464)      L42: 727245 (+32800)
L10:  11116 (+ 3159)      L26: 215479 (+24376)      L43: 760044 (+32799)
L11:  15016 (+ 3900)      L27: 241843 (+26364)      L44: 792844 (+32800)
L12:  19735 (+ 4719)      L28: 270275 (+28432)      L45: 825643 (+32799)
L13:  25351 (+ 5616)      L29: 300851 (+30576)      L46: 858443 (+32800)
L14:  31942 (+ 6591)      L30: 333651 (+32800)      L47: 891242 (+32799)
L15:  39586 (+ 7644)      L31: 366450 (+32799)      L48: 924042 (+32800)
L16:  48361 (+ 8775)      L32: 399250 (+32800)      L49: 956841 (+32799)
L17:  58345 (+ 9984)      L33: 432049 (+32799)      L50: 989641 (+32800)
                          L34: 464849 (+32800)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I am trying to decide if I want to put that into the update or not. It is just on the edge of "math homework."

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Go nuts, just don't blitz so hard you burn yourself out.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I remember reading (somewhere, years ago) something about Black Belt's Absorb being equal to their level having some additional bug to it. Allegedly, when a Black Belt levels up, the game sets their Absorb equal to their level, even if they are wearing armor. Going to the equipment screen, allegedly, makes the game correct itself to use the Black Belt's equipment, if it has any. So, allegedly, you could equip a Black Belt with something like a Pro Ring or other equipment for its status protection or whatnot, grind them up a level, and enjoy the "unarmored" Absorb along with it so long as you never go into the equipment screen.

Again, I have no idea if there is any truth to this, but this seems the best place to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

I remember reading (somewhere, years ago) something about Black Belt's Absorb being equal to their level having some additional bug to it. Allegedly, when a Black Belt levels up, the game sets their Absorb equal to their level, even if they are wearing armor. Going to the equipment screen, allegedly, makes the game correct itself to use the Black Belt's equipment, if it has any. So, allegedly, you could equip a Black Belt with something like a Pro Ring or other equipment for its status protection or whatnot, grind them up a level, and enjoy the "unarmored" Absorb along with it so long as you never go into the equipment screen.

Again, I have no idea if there is any truth to this, but this seems the best place to ask.
It IS true, if a bit more complicated than that. It's also not going to be relevant until I find late-game armor the BB can wear with good secondary effects, but I'll go into it eventually.