Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Right? We're all (presumably) staying home as much as possible and everyone knows goons don't procreate so there's no homeschooling kids to worry about so you go as fast as you like

*baby crawls on top of tv stand brandishing a switch pro controller*

Yeah... definitely not an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I am trying to decide if I want to put that into the update or not. It is just on the edge of "math homework."

The amount of XP you need to level up is your level x your level x 39, until level 30 where it stops increasing. Doesn't seem too complicated.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I feel like the fact that Intelligence is useless goes a long way towards validating the Red Mage, because spells had to be useful regardless of your underlying stats, so the Red Mage who has bad caster stats is able to cast them just as well as the White/Black mages do. They still have a significantly more restricted spell list, of course, but they do a fine job of justifying their place in the party.

Contrast that with Tellah, the sage from FF4, whose stats are so terrible that I'm pretty sure he'd fail to fully heal a party member with a single-target Cure4 if it weren't specifically coded to be a max heal in that circumstance. :v: His casting stats are so bad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I feel like the fact that Intelligence is useless goes a long way towards validating the Red Mage, because spells had to be useful regardless of your underlying stats, so the Red Mage who has bad caster stats is able to cast them just as well as the White/Black mages do. They still have a significantly more restricted spell list, of course, but they do a fine job of justifying their place in the party.

Contrast that with Tellah, the sage from FF4, whose stats are so terrible that I'm pretty sure he'd fail to fully heal a party member with a single-target Cure4 if it weren't specifically coded to be a max heal in that circumstance. :v: His casting stats are so bad.

The main difference there is that the Red Mage has to remain relevant for the entire game because you can't ever change your party in FF1, while Tellah is a temporary character meant to suck since he'll leave your party forever eventually even in the versions that let you select your party.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I have yet to see a good Red Mage in any Final Fantasy game (which is probably why they hid Dualcast behind them in V)

I mean, let's look at them.

FF1: A good jack of all trades and with the weird bugs of FF1 they actually shine more in a lot of places and even in re-releases their ability to basically do anything you need. Great flex slot for the fourth party member

FF3: Easily the worst incarnation. They're basically useful for the very begining of the game and that's just because Wightslayer is exclusive to them. They're a bit better in the remake, if only for better stats and more MP to use utility spells for.

FF5: Great for the first world, start to fall off when Level 4 Magic starts showing up. Then endgame comes and you learn Dualcast from them and ditch everything but Freelancers and Mimes murdering everything

FF11: Best solo player in the game arguably, in party situations it's a strong support that can also do some DPS, healing, etc. Whatever's needed for the moment.

FF12: With the Zodiac Job version Red Mages return and I think this is easily the strongest incarnation of the job outside of MMOs. They have an absurdly wide spell selection as well as some unique powerful spells of their own, the Dark line of magicks and for endgame the absurdly powerful Ardor.

FF14: Another MMO. A fun DPS to play with plenty of endgame utility due to basically being the best reviver in the game. So you can sandbag your team until they get good. :v:

FFTA(2): Dualcast bot basically.

Bravely Default: Hilarious in the game thanks to the BP Battery shenanigans, sadly nerfed in Bravely Second

I'd say Red Mages are good in more games than not.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tenebrais posted:

The amount of XP you need to level up is your level x your level x 39, until level 30 where it stops increasing. Doesn't seem too complicated.
Point. I'll add it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

What are folks' opinions on blitzing updates while I've got the urge (and the screenshots all ready to go) versus spacing them out over a few days?

Be a Blitz King! :jecht:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7cQs555yCw

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Is there a good equivalent class list for VII, VIII, and IX?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And another correction. According to TASVideos, Dark doesn't actually do anything.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Is there a good equivalent class list for VII, VIII, and IX?
FF7 and FF8 don’t really have equivalent classes because they’re so far from the traditional “magic”. Selphie is, I guess, closest to a Red Mage since her limit is casting multiple spells at once and can do a wide variety of spells, but that seems like stretching it.

FF9 Amarant is pretty close to a Red Mage though - physical damage plus both healing and offensive ‘magic’. I mean, the game even kind of hints at it with his coloring and style.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

And another correction. According to TASVideos, Dark doesn't actually do anything.

Don't even get the cool shades from 6.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
So a high level Black Belt effectively becomes Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star. I regret not using them in my gameplay more now. :(

And what Invisible NPC in Corneria? You're telling me there's something in this game I never knew about? Quite a pleasant surprise!

Blitz vs space out- I can always space out my reading if I must, so Blitz like a Black Belt if you like. Just don't burn yourself out, like others have said. I'll just try to make clear what part of your LP I'm talking about in my comments. And not get too far behind.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

MagusofStars posted:

FF9 Amarant is pretty close to a Red Mage though - physical damage plus both healing and offensive ‘magic’. I mean, the game even kind of hints at it with his coloring and style.

Eeeeeehhhh...he had the Throw and Chakra commands in FF9 and was forced to wear the Claw-type weapons, so he's more a Monk/Ninja hybrid which...yea, even after splitting those giant afro hairs of his, he was pretty close to a Red Mage, minus the whole "casting black and white magic" thing...even if most people throw him on a bench and spam Fixed damage attacks that hit damage cap (Aka: the team of Zidane, Quina, Vivi/Steiner and Freya) unless they don't bother grinding up the latter two characters to better survive along the rest of the party.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 18, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's hard to appreciate now, but rescuing the princess after the first dungeon was a huge departure from the standard approach to gaming at the time. In pretty much every other game to date with a captured princess, rescuing her was the win condition. The only exception I can think of is Dragon Quest, and there it's still a major quest line that'll take you about halfway through the game. Having that over and done with an hour into the game made it really clear that this was something new.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

achtungnight posted:

And what Invisible NPC in Corneria? You're telling me there's something in this game I never knew about? Quite a pleasant surprise!

Castle to be specific but yeah.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Do you plan on talking about the A-Team at all? I could gush for pages about Nasir in particular but I don't want to step on your toes if you've got something in mind.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Regarding update pace, as long as you don't do multiple updates in 1 day constantly (not side updates for mechanics and such), that'll probably be fine on the reader's end. More than 1 meaty update per day wouldn't give the thread a chance to talk about things, and would probably be overbearing for the readers.

As for your end, go at a pace that won't burn yourself out, as others have already said.

Red Mages in this game are a pretty good unit. In a game where your class choices are completely locked, they're a really good flexible unit to have to cover your bases if needed. They can't cover everything, but what they do cover can be enough for a lot of party compositions.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Red Mage really shines in FF1, it's one of the best incarnations of the class even in remakes (though Bravely Default has probably The most powerful version just because of how busted Brave management is in that game). Having a generalist is really useful when you can't switch your class at all even in the remakes where they're slightly nerfed due to Int actually doing anything/having the bugged spells function properly (it makes picking what they have a bit harder in teams where you don't have one of the other mages), the spells they don't get don't really hamper their effectiveness.

Which is good because aesthetically they're always one of the best classes and playing FF5 knowing that the fanciest hat belongs to one of the worst classes is suffering :j:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If we were to make a Fighter/Red/Black/White party, what niche would the Red have? What would their spell build end up looking like?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tendales posted:

Do you plan on talking about the A-Team at all? I could gush for pages about Nasir in particular but I don't want to step on your toes if you've got something in mind.
I don’t actually know much about them aside from casual research, so feel free!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Junpei posted:

If we were to make a Fighter/Red/Black/White party, what niche would the Red have? What would their spell build end up looking like?
Supplemental usage of the more commonly used spells they have access to, i.e. basic attack magic and the CURE series. Being able to hit elemental weaknesses more often and/or twice in one turn can be extremely helpful in some fights. This is especially true when it’s a large and dangerous but individually frail group, such as Paralysis-causing Undead. A second chance to get off a FIR2 before the pain train leaves the station can save a LOT of grief in the long run.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Dies crit chance cap, or does a max level black belt always crit on every attack forever?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So, Red Mages in FF14 have Dualcast modeled a bit differently than other games. After they cast a spell with a cast time, their next spell can be cast instantly. This includes their revive spell, which is normally a ten second cast time. Since their fastest spells only need two seconds to go off, they could quickly revive multiple dead teammates even faster than a healer.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 18, 2020

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Final Fantasy Dimensions also did some neat stuff with the Red Mage. They still only get the lower level spells and still have Doublecast as their ultimate skill, but they also get Celes' Runic ability and what used to be the Mystic Knight's ability to enchant their swords. Really helped sell the combination of fighting and magic the job represents.

Of course as that game also places a limit on your ability to raise max job levels, the question is if the magic sword or doublecast abilities are worth the cost of not being able to master one of the other classes you might want to.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zack Ater posted:

Dies crit chance cap, or does a max level black belt always crit on every attack forever?
Once you get to a certain level, every BB attack that hits will always crit, yes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ManxomeBromide posted:

The level of control in real-time of FF1, at least as of 2017, was impressive but not at the level of the absolutely mind-boggling realtime RNG-control run of Dragon Warrior one year later.

Offhand I don't know how far FF1 realtime RNG manipulation has advanced since then, but that DW run is what the holy grail looks like.

That DW1 run is preposterous. :stare:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Araxxor posted:

Regarding update pace, as long as you don't do multiple updates in 1 day constantly (not side updates for mechanics and such), that'll probably be fine on the reader's end. More than 1 meaty update per day wouldn't give the thread a chance to talk about things, and would probably be overbearing for the readers.

Fully agreed.

Also, I know different people process math differently, but I had a little bit of trouble following the stats mechanics post because it only explains how it works in words. For me personally, a combination of the explanation in words and some tabulated examples or a formula would make things a bit clearer. RPG mechanics use a lot of math, so it's gonna feel like "math homework" no matter what, and only having the wordy explanation there doesn't remove the "math homework" aspect, it just obfuscates it.

Please don't go out of your way to add extra stuff just for my sake though. Just, if your sources have the formulae available already or something and it's no extra work to copy paste them into your posts, I'd like that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Please don't go out of your way to add extra stuff just for my sake though. Just, if your sources have the formulae available already or something and it's no extra work to copy paste them into your posts, I'd like that.
I added this to the post:

Derived Statistics Formulas
UBB: Unarmed/Unarmored Black Belt
Damage: Weapon Damage + (Str/2) [UBB: Level*2]
Base Hit: Class Base + Weapon Bonus
Number of Attacks: 1 + (Base Hit/32), rounded down. [FAST: x2] [UBB: x2]
Absorb: Total Armor Absorb [UBB: Level]
Base Evade: 45(ish) + Agility - Armor Penalty

Magic Defense: Class Base
Crit Chance: Weapon Base [UBB: Level *2]

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Like Clockwork posted:

Red Mage really shines in FF1, it's one of the best incarnations of the class even in remakes (though Bravely Default has probably The most powerful version just because of how busted Brave management is in that game). Having a generalist is really useful when you can't switch your class at all even in the remakes where they're slightly nerfed due to Int actually doing anything/having the bugged spells function properly (it makes picking what they have a bit harder in teams where you don't have one of the other mages), the spells they don't get don't really hamper their effectiveness.

Which is good because aesthetically they're always one of the best classes and playing FF5 knowing that the fanciest hat belongs to one of the worst classes is suffering :j:

Ugh yeah, I really don't like how Red Mage was handled in 5. It's a class pretty much designed for earlygame only. Alright, nothing really wrong with that. But then they gated one of the best abilities behind it, forcing you to care about a class you ditched long ago again through a mega grind.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If you want a red mage in FFV, I suggest the Ninja class with White magic as secondary ability. The ninja can throw elemental ammunition that scales with magic. The white magic ability boosts the elemental throws to more or less black mage level. That way you have good physical attack, strong multi target elemental damage and white magic. You lose the strong physical damage while you're maining the white mage though.

Anyway, Int and a few spells doing nothing isn't that bad, I've seen worse in later RPGs. There is however to my understanding a lot of other things in this game that are supposed to do something, but fails to perform, so I guess we'll see.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Level 03: Get Rich Quick Schemes

Last time, we made the long and difficult journey to Pravoka, struggling with all kinds of foes along our way. Now, let's find out what's up while we're here. Pirates, apparently! If we're going to go fight pirates, we should probably get some better equipment!

We've already got an Iron Hammer, but the other weapons are new. The Scimitar is a moderate upgrade from the Rapier for the Thief, but it's a very small increase, and there's a better weapon for them close on the horizon. The Short Sword and Hand Axe are interesting, though. While the Short Sword can be used by Red Mages, the Hand Axe is exclusive to the Fighter, dealing more damage, and with a higher crit rate. However, the Short Sword gives +10 to Base Hit compared to the Hand Axe's +5. If you've read the Mechanics update about statistics, you might suspect why that's important. I grab Hack one and sell his Rapier for a bit more cash.

There's a good selection of new stuff in the armor shop. The Iron Armor is Fighter exclusive, and extremely expensive for the point of the game we're in, but also has 9 more absorb than Chain, at the cost of a Base Evade penalty of about the same. It is still more than worth it; Fighters rarely care about their natural Base Evade when they can stack Absorb instead. That price tag is quite the hurdle right now, so we'll skip it, but we'll be grabbing one soon enough. What we're actually getting are the next two on the list: The Wooden Shield provides only 2 points of Absorb for Hack, but it's also dirt cheap, and there's no reason not to use it. Gloves only raise Absorb by a single point, but they can be worn by anyone, and we won't be getting better hand armor for our Mages for a very, very long time. Three pairs is a no-brainer purchase.

Just three. Punt is now at a level where his natural unarmored Absorb is only slightly less than we'd get for giving him both Gloves and the Cap. Instead, we're going to strip him down to his skivvies, sell his Wooden Armor, and give the Cap to Dirk. This keeps his Absorb the same, with the added bonus of slightly increasing his Base Evade. A case could also be made for giving the headwear to Buff, but the difference between 2 and 3 Absorb isn't enough to stress over. They're both going to be keeling over real quick under any kind of serious assault.

2nd Level isn't a great level for Black Magic. ICE is the only spell here that I can call good without reservation. It deals double the damage that FIRE and LIT do, also to a single target. Cold vulnerability is extremely rare, but so is Cold resistance, and it's not like we're pressed for options on what to use the spell slots on. SLOW is niche, but potentially useful. It targets all foes and, if it lands, either counteracts FAST, or applies its own effect, which reduces the afflicted target to only ever making a single attack. That's not important often, as the list of 'multitargeting enemies not resistant to Status’ is a very small list, but in the few situations where it's relevant, it can be very, very relevant. TMPR is, as I've discussed before, useless. DARK gets off on not being a useless spell on a technicality; the status is applied just find, it's Blind that's broken.

We won't be picking any Black Magic up just yet, but I earmark ICE and SLOW to be grabbed later.

White Magic doesn't have a great 2nd Level, either. but it's certainly better off than Black Magic is. LAMP avoids being broken on the same technicality that DARK does. MUTE attempts to inflict Silence on all foes, which prevents them from casting any magic (but, crucially, not from trying.) It fills a similar niche to SLOW. ALIT has two uses. First, it grants all allies resistance to Lightning, reducing all damage of that type by up to 75%. Second, because of a bug with how the game looks at party resistances, ALIT also grants resistance to any statuses inflicted by enemies weak to Lightning. That's a short list, but it's a good glitch to keep in mind for when we start getting the better elemental resistance spells, and there's a decent use for it coming up very soon. Plus, there are some early bosses who love to spam LIT2, and ALIT can keep them from dealing too much damage.

INVS is a great spell, and one of the first that opens us up to some real Shenanigans. When cast, INVS increases the target's Base Evade by 40, and not only does this actually work, it also stacks with itself. Increasing the chance to dodge an attack by 20%? That's pretty nice. Spending five turns to increase that dodge chance to nearly 100%? Now that's Final Fantasy 1.

As you might imagine from my gushing, we pick up INVS, and earmark MUTE and ALIT for later.

Now let's go see what all this pirate fuss is about.

Bikke, the best character in 8-Bit Theater, don't @ me, doesn't fight us himself, but instead sends nine PIRATEs after us. That's an extremely large number, this is going to be the toughest fight we've had yet!

No, wait, the opposite of that. Sheer numbers are the only thing the PIRATEs have going for them, and a single SLEP from Dirk keeps five of them from attacking for a turn. With 6 HP each, no Absorb, and no Evade to speak of, this is more than long enough to mop them up. Even Dirk gets in on the killing action in the second round, taking one out with a single stab.

And just to add insult to injury, the Short Sword gave Hack just enough Base Hit that he is now making two attacks per turn. There is drat near triple digit overkill happening right now.

Our reward for chunking them is 360 GP and a vague sense of dissatisfaction.

Dissatisfaction withdrawn, we're on a motherfuckin' boat!

♫ Ship ♫
I'm really glad the Ship music is so catchy, I'm going to be hearing a lot of it.

The entire sea is now open to us, and the first thing we're going to do is sail right back to the coast of Coneria and start moving in circles. This is the first really good place to grind in the game, and the Pravoka Inn is both nearly twice the cost of Coneria's, and much further away from the town entrance. It's not a huge increase in either time or money, but it adds up. So, what are we grinding against, and what makes it so good?

Lots of things, and lots of things!

SAHAGs are slightly more evasive than GrWOLFs, but deal a little less damage and are a lot less durable. Them being in groups is the only thing that makes them at all dangerous. What's more of a problem in their encounters is their chance to spawn with one or two OddEYEs. With only 10 HP, a strong breeze can knock them over, but they have an absurd Base Evade of 84. More problematically, OddEYEs also the first enemy in the game to use a Special Attack, targeting Magic Defense. This attack inflicts the dangerous Paralysis with a pretty decent success chance, enough to lock down key members or even the whole party if you dawdle on taking them out, leaving the otherwise nonthreatening SAHAGs free to start tearing chunks out. A single cast of ALIT neuters them because of the fore-mentioned bug, which will be very worth the casts in the period between when I get it and before Dirk starts leaning multi-target magic.

SHARKs are the beefy, high-damage enemies of the area, and they're just as evasive as SAHAGs. This is the first area where monsters are vulnerable to Lightning, but because the SHARK's beef comes from high base HP instead of Absorb, it can still take some solid effort to bring them down even with a LIT softening them up. R.SAHAGs often showing up accompanied either by SHARKs or their blue brethren, and are also tough, strong shitwreckers with high Evade. They've got solid Absorb as well, and just enough HP that a single LIT is never quite enough to take them out.

All the encounters on the ocean can be quite dangerous at this point, but it's still the best risk/reward prospect for grinding right now, and that's before we get into the last enemy that can show up.

KYZOKU! They've got similar stats to R.SAHAGs, but with much less Evade and no Lightning vulnerability. Comparatively, they're not exceptionally dangerous, but they are extremely lucrative, dropping 120 Gold each. We've got a lot of expenses coming up, and looking for bands of pirates to trample is going to be funding most of them.

Trivia Corner: "Kaizoku" is Japanese for "Pirate", which is convenient since that title was already used on the 'boss fight' we trampled over.

We hit Level 6 with comfortably full wallets, and swing by Pravoka again to pick up those spells we missed: ALIT and MUTE for Buff, ICE and SLOW for Dirk. Now we can see what else this sea has to see.

On the way there, I take a single shot at the secret 15 Puzzle the Ship unlocks (Hold A and press B 55 times), before I remember that the reward is 100 Gold and return to forgetting that it ever existed.

Almost but not quite due south of Coneria is a promising new port. Most of the enemies around here are both new and dangerous, so I beat feet further south as quickly as I can, managing to run into only an OGRE and a few CREEPs before reaching my next destination.

Welcome to ElfLand! We've got more royalty to save! There's a lot to the Town, so for now we just drop by the Inn, and head straight to the Castle to see what the plot's up to.

The Prince of ElfLand has been put under a magical sleeping curse! To break it, we'll need the help of HERB!

An NPC tucked away in the corner of the castle helpfully clarifies that what we need are HERBS, held by the witch Matoya. You remember that area north of Coneria we never visited? Let's go give it a look!

By sailing underneath the Conerian bridge, we can reach the port near the mountain pass, and then we can just head north up the peninsula.

It's not a hard trip, and I get the entertainment along the way of just rolling right over encounters that would have been hell back when we were first 'supposed' to be here.

Welcome to Matoya's cave. The brooms here tell you a paper-thin hint "PUSH B SELECT", but it doesn't actually do anything where you are.

If you step outside, though, it opens up a full world map.

Matoya refuses to acknowledge us without her CRYSTAL. Unlike with most of the plot so far, we're not actually given a hint about where to find it here. I yoink a couple of Heal Potions and a Pure Potion on my way out.

A modern gamer will pick up pretty much immediately that you need to go back near ElfLand, but I imagine it might be a bit trickier to figure that out on your own if this is your first video game (and you didn't read the included instruction manual/walkthrough.) The hints for what's next are actually in other parts of the world we haven't been to yet.

I know exactly where we're going, though, so let's just head on out!

Oooor maybe we'll go back and do a bit of preparation first.

Next Level: Marshes, magic, and more!

Party Status

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 30, 2020

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh wow, 8-Bit Theater. I loved it back in the day. He's gotta be done...right?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Oh wow, 8-Bit Theater. I loved it back in the day. He's gotta be done...right?

He finished literally a decade ago.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I liked 8-bit Theater too. Favorite line- “Astos, huh? Well, now that you’re messing with us, your rear end is toast.”

The Elf Forest was my first big grinding section of this game. Lots of stuff to buy, not much gold to spend. Guides I read at the time recommended I go Ogre hunting. In retrospect, Kyzoku might have been easier.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

"Kyzoku" is a great example of space-saving on the part of the translation team. The Japanese word "kaizoku" is too long, but "kyzoku" fits and is pronounced the same! In fact, it'd be hard to mispronounce it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I am so annoyed that there's one single HACK on that map, and not one every 32 tiles or however large each screen on the world map is.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

My fav 8-Bit Theatre character is Red Mage Statkowski by far.

I used to play a lot of the secret ship puzzle game for some reason. I think I just wanted a break and some variety from monster grinding sometimes. Also hearing the bridge music again (aka the main Final Fantasy theme that isn't the Prologue) was really nice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sarda being impressed by Bikke beaning him with the Orb of Water is my favorite character moment AND the source of my favorite line.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Hirayuki posted:

"Kyzoku" is a great example of space-saving on the part of the translation team. The Japanese word "kaizoku" is too long, but "kyzoku" fits and is pronounced the same! In fact, it'd be hard to mispronounce it.

kizz-oku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Leraika posted:

kizz-oku
And "kaizoku" could be "Kay-zoku," so I guess we're square.