Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

FeyerbrandX posted:

Huh, same.

Also playing FFVII remake and I realize that somehow I always mistakenly thought the little Wallmarket poo poo was Cornero.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the origin of his name is just a mangling of Corleone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Mage_Boy posted:

I'm playing FFXIV and I just got to Matoya's cave. It plays this great remix of the song from FF1: https://youtu.be/orvKqkgWZOc

Just wait till you get to o9n.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Mage_Boy posted:

I'm playing FFXIV and I just got to Matoya's cave. It plays this great remix of the song from FF1: https://youtu.be/orvKqkgWZOc

I miss all the bagpipe style music from the Heavensward expansion. I mean obviously you can still hear it in those areas but the general sound of the games music has moved well beyond that era.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Some Goon posted:

...it's not Corneria?

Yes, I double checked, but somehow I never noticed.

We need your help, Star Fox! The Four Fiends have declared war!

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
There's a member of the A-Team who frequently gets overlooked, at least in the West: Kazuko Shibuya, who tackled the pixel designs for the first three FFs and the character sprites straight up through FFVI, as well as characters for the SaGa series (and work for some of Squenix's more recent pixel-based mobile games; she's still working with the company).

She's basically the source for a ton of the classic pixel sprite designs from the series.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

taichara posted:

There's a member of the A-Team who frequently gets overlooked, at least in the West: Kazuko Shibuya, who tackled the pixel designs for the first three FFs and the character sprites straight up through FFVI, as well as characters for the SaGa series (and work for some of Squenix's more recent pixel-based mobile games; she's still working with the company).

She's basically the source for a ton of the classic pixel sprite designs from the series.

So did she work on Romancing SaGa 3 then? Because that game is 1.) :krad: and 2.) has some interesting similarities to FF1!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
fyi:

PMush Perfect posted:

Odd levels ten to be really good for White Mages, and this is no exception.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Good catch, fixed. The typos that always get me are the ones that are also still words.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ten isn't an odd number, it's even.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

taichara posted:

The FF DOT. artbook has an interview with her in the back. It's an interesting read. I picked the book up for a convenient reference when I get around to working on perler art.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Randalor posted:

The FF DOT. artbook has an interview with her in the back. It's an interesting read. I picked the book up for a convenient reference when I get around to working on perler art.

As soon as I saw the preorder notice I had mine in and was waiting impatiently, yeah. (The Dark Horse release of it afterwards kind of entertained me from a "we're localizing this book!" standpoint; the original release already captioned all the pictures in English and the interview was supplied in two versions, Japanese and English.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Screenshots for the next update are together. Now I just need to write it.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

PMush Perfect posted:

Sweet, just wanted to pop in and say thanks, FF1 is one of my all time fave games!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

DODONGO DISLIKES SMOKE

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm trying to pace myself now that the initial NEW LP GO GO GO GO GO haste has died down.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Here, take this TNT.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm trying to pace myself now that the initial NEW LP GO GO GO GO GO haste has died down.

From my perspective this is all about where you are and what's going on in your life. When I LPed this game 10 years ago I was away from my family, at school, and had all the time in the world after class to write an update every day or two. Most of my early LPs were under similar circumstances. As life got busier and I stacked up more priorities, LPs required more dedication and proceeded more slowly. It's okay to pace yourself and take the time you need to get things right and fit this in with the rest of your life. The main thing is to actually sit down at some point and start writing. Everything else will take care of itself. You can do it!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

You're doing it to torment me. :downs:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I also love technical LPs of old games like this, great job so far.

By the way, unless I somehow missed it I believe you didn't mention something that inevitably drives crazy everyone who tries this game after playing more modern ones: the lack of re-targeting when several characters attack the same enemy and it dies before everyone has had their turn.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Petiso posted:

By the way, unless I somehow missed it I believe you didn't mention something that inevitably drives crazy everyone who tries this game after playing more modern ones: the lack of re-targeting when several characters attack the same enemy and it dies before everyone has had their turn.

That's definitely a quality-of-life change for the new systems (which tend to be just as grindy) but I also admit it makes this sort of turn-based combat much less tactical. After all, in action games, if you don't refocus your targeting you whiff all of your attacks there, too (and everybody hates auto-retargeting in action games because if doesn't necessarily choose the same target they would have). I think changing the leveling curve such that you wouldn't need to hold down a button for minutes at a time would be the fix to make auto-retargeting unnecessary.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The big difference between this and an action game is that when you attack in an action game you know the enemy is there. I wouldn't mind missing dead enemies so much if they implemented it in a more modern system where you know the turn order in advance.

Or just do the modern rpg thing and have you take each person's turn as it comes up rather than setting up a queue each round.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I can see the value in whiffing attacks: in principle it encourages you to think carefully about how much damage you can expect to do with each attack and how much health each enemy has, so you can distribute attacks across enemies without wasting turns. Without it, combat becomes more about just throwing numbers at the enemy and hoping your numbers exceed their numbers. So it's more tactical this way, which is particularly valuable as combat doesn't have a ton of depth to it otherwise.

Of course, the implementation creates bad feelings in players who hate wasting turns, and that was clearly enough of a downside that later games would do away with it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Hey dude, take your time. I've been lurking this thread and really enjoying it. I've never had the patience to play FF1 (the whiffing dead things was a big turn-off by the time I got around to playing and I'd played so many more modern games, forced to loop back for FF1 on an emulator as a Sega kid). But the technical stuff is really interesting and I'll enjoy this whenever you get around to an update.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can see the value in whiffing attacks: in principle it encourages you to think carefully about how much damage you can expect to do with each attack and how much health each enemy has, so you can distribute attacks across enemies without wasting turns. Without it, combat becomes more about just throwing numbers at the enemy and hoping your numbers exceed their numbers. So it's more tactical this way, which is particularly valuable as combat doesn't have a ton of depth to it otherwise.

Of course, the implementation creates bad feelings in players who hate wasting turns, and that was clearly enough of a downside that later games would do away with it.

The main issue I see with all of these is that Final Fantasy isn't clear on numbers. How much damage you do is, to an extent, random; and you don't have exact damage numbers. If this was Fire Emblem, where everything is clearly shown, then I'd agree, but that isn't the case, and if so, I'd rather not have to memorize a bunch of numbers to not miss attacks.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
"Ineffective" wouldn't be so much of a problem if the turn order weren't 100% random, and you didn't spend the first half of the game missing every attack, and doing wildly random damage when you actually do hit. You can do all the tactical planning you want but the game just goes :shrug:.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Pretty much the big problem with lack of redirection in this game is that the player doesn't have enough info in-game to really plan for it. There's absolutely no indication on how much HP an enemy has left, not even a health bar or whatever, so it'd be coming down to memorizing that info. And as said, turn order is random in this game and there's no indication on the order.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The combat system is a pretty straightforward implementation of AD&D rules, but those were designed in a setting where each combatant had a position on a map. When they moved to the game's setup, they just discarded movement rules and didn't change anything else.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Araxxor posted:

Pretty much the big problem with lack of redirection in this game is that the player doesn't have enough info in-game to really plan for it. There's absolutely no indication on how much HP an enemy has left, not even a health bar or whatever, so it'd be coming down to memorizing that info. And as said, turn order is random in this game and there's no indication on the order.

Well, I for one, got a first copy of the game that included a big map printout- around it and on the back were all the various monsters with pictures, stats, and HP totals. Did anyone else get that? Now I was a child at the time, and not always did I memorize, but with basic 4th grade math I was able to subtract damage from HP totals much of the time. Thus I could adjust some attacks to different enemies accordingly. But yeah, I was still glad for group affecting spells when I got them. Not having redirects was a mess.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 23, 2020

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

achtungnight posted:

Well, I for one, got a first copy of the game that included a big map printout- around it and on the back we’re all the various monsters with pictures, stats, and HP totals. Did anyone else get that? Now I was a child at the time, and not always did I memorize, but with basic 4th grade math I was able to subtract damage from HP totals much of the time. Thus I could adjust some attacks to different enemies accordingly. But yeah, I was still glad for group affecting spells when I got them. Not having redirects was a mess.

My brother in law got the game for me at a garage sale, so I got no bonus stuff.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

achtungnight posted:

Well, I for one, got a first copy of the game that included a big map printout- around it and on the back were all the various monsters with pictures, stats, and HP totals. Did anyone else get that?
I did, but never used it for anything other than looking at the pictures. edit: and maybe spell list, if it was there? Once I ran into monsters casting certain spells that haven't shown up yet, "spells cast" became the one thing I would look up.

As a kid I generally classified new enemies into:

Dies in 1 hit to the thief (he turns into a ninja it's going to be so cool)
Dies in 1 hit to the fighter
Dies in 1 turn to the fighter + melee from mages
Dies in 1 turn to fighter + thief
etc.

and would plan around that to avoid wasting attacks aside from maybe a caster's melee.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Explosionface posted:

My brother in law got the game for me at a garage sale, so I got no bonus stuff.

I too bought mine from a garage sale, but they did also have the manual, map and I think even the Nintendo Power guide to boot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

hey girl you up posted:

I did, but never used it for anything other than looking at the pictures. edit: and maybe spell list, if it was there? Once I ran into monsters casting certain spells that haven't shown up yet, "spells cast" became the one thing I would look up.

As a kid I generally classified new enemies into:

Dies in 1 hit to the thief (he turns into a ninja it's going to be so cool)
Dies in 1 hit to the fighter
Dies in 1 turn to the fighter + melee from mages
Dies in 1 turn to fighter + thief
etc.

and would plan around that to avoid wasting attacks aside from maybe a caster's melee.
I still play like this.

Dies to Buff or Dirk (lol)
Dies to Buff & Dirk
Dies to Hack or Punt
Dies to Hack or Punt & Buff or Dirk
Sack of HP

That's before you factor in things like spells, but for the most part, I still generally choose my attacks by eyeballing how likely Hack and Punk are to one-shot someone.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm probably getting my old NES RPGs mixed up, but was Final Fantasy the one that had some variance on the enemy stats? Something like a 5 or 10% swing in either direction for non-bosses?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Randalor posted:

I'm probably getting my old NES RPGs mixed up, but was Final Fantasy the one that had some variance on the enemy stats? Something like a 5 or 10% swing in either direction for non-bosses?
It might have been 2 or 3, I genuinely don't know, but it was definitely not FF1.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Randalor posted:

That's Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior on the NES), I believe. iirc HP can be anywhere from 100~110% of the base. (It might be more accurate to say it's between 90.909...%~100% of HP because I think healing for enemies caps at the upper limit? so an enemy with 255 max HP can be healed up to 255 HP even if it started at 232 HP. it's been a while and I'm not looking at any mechanics guides right now)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Another thing Final Fantasy taught me- how to manage large scale battles. Everybody in the party must get a target- Fighter on that Ogre, Thief on the Creep, mage spell on the other Ogre, etc. Even if we need to dogpile on a Dragon to make it die first, we are still watching that sneaking Imp behind him (not that the latter encounter ever occurs in game, but you get the idea).

Later Final Fantasies required more tactics. I think the next one in the series I played was FF4. Remember the Giant CPU battle in that one. The Attacker bot hit you, the Defender bot healed the CPU. Your instinct is to kill the Attacker first, then the Defender, but no, if you kill both bots the CPU hits you hard and then revives them. So you need to get Defender and then CPU, leave Attacker alone. That battle taught me about priorities.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It’s not quite FF1-related, or me resuming the LP yet, but I’ve decided to participate in Four Job Fiesta for charity this year, despite having never played 5 before in my life. I encourage anyone else who’s as stupid as I am to do so as well.

Really glad I didn’t need to rehost every single image in this LP so I could migrate to the Beach.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I thought about it, but every year I entered I have never finished the game. (This includes the one year where I was practically spoon-fed a team of Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Chemist.)

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

PMush Perfect posted:

It’s not quite FF1-related, or me resuming the LP yet, but I’ve decided to participate in Four Job Fiesta for charity this year, despite having never played 5 before in my life. I encourage anyone else who’s as stupid as I am to do so as well.

This is a good idea. The Fiesta is a great way to experience one of the best games in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I hope you enjoy it!