Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't believe I missed the YGO reference. I've spent hours ranting at people about how the game has changed and what cards are terribly broken and yet I couldn't remember an archetype that has a card as stupid as Butterfly Dagger - Elma. I feel ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You can't talk about Temple of Fiends and not link its insanely good Dissidia remix!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0ZArSEaN8Q

Talking about Dissidia, here's Garland's iconic line said by his VA, Chris Sabat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09u_s5MYnDA

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Black Belts Don't gently caress Around: Let's Play Final Fantasy 1 NES!

Also I'm pretty sure you don't need HP to level up unless the old games are even weirder than I thought.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I feel like the fact that Intelligence is useless goes a long way towards validating the Red Mage, because spells had to be useful regardless of your underlying stats, so the Red Mage who has bad caster stats is able to cast them just as well as the White/Black mages do. They still have a significantly more restricted spell list, of course, but they do a fine job of justifying their place in the party.

Contrast that with Tellah, the sage from FF4, whose stats are so terrible that I'm pretty sure he'd fail to fully heal a party member with a single-target Cure4 if it weren't specifically coded to be a max heal in that circumstance. :v: His casting stats are so bad.

The main difference there is that the Red Mage has to remain relevant for the entire game because you can't ever change your party in FF1, while Tellah is a temporary character meant to suck since he'll leave your party forever eventually even in the versions that let you select your party.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fun fact: the Pirate and Kaizoku enemies had their names flipped around in translation. Later translations would change the Kyzoku (JP: Pirates) to Buccaneers or Privateers, keeping the same idea of a weirder name for a pirate since Pirate was already used.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LiefKatano posted:

(Story: That Ultima only did about ~500 damage and didn't scale with any spell level, not even its own, was known about in development. Sakaguchi wanted the bug to be removed, but the programmer (apparently Nasir?) justified it by saying that "legendary stuff that dates back to an age before 'proper techniques' would look inferior from present's point-of-view", and the programmer thought that was realistic. Sakaguchi didn't agree, but he couldn't do anything about it because the code was ciphered.)

I wish I could say something like this at work and have my bug-ridden code accepted.

Instead any time I've tried I've gotten my boss angry at me. Maybe I'm just bad at lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can see the value in whiffing attacks: in principle it encourages you to think carefully about how much damage you can expect to do with each attack and how much health each enemy has, so you can distribute attacks across enemies without wasting turns. Without it, combat becomes more about just throwing numbers at the enemy and hoping your numbers exceed their numbers. So it's more tactical this way, which is particularly valuable as combat doesn't have a ton of depth to it otherwise.

Of course, the implementation creates bad feelings in players who hate wasting turns, and that was clearly enough of a downside that later games would do away with it.

The main issue I see with all of these is that Final Fantasy isn't clear on numbers. How much damage you do is, to an extent, random; and you don't have exact damage numbers. If this was Fire Emblem, where everything is clearly shown, then I'd agree, but that isn't the case, and if so, I'd rather not have to memorize a bunch of numbers to not miss attacks.