Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Uh, what the gently caress with the stripes. Are other vehicles prohibited from having stripes so people don't confuse sedans with campers?

Do the windows need to be any particular size? Can you turn 1 window into two windows temporarily, some acrylic sheet and a bit of wood for a divider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
The answer to all those questions is 'the DVLA does not comment on individual applications'.

Seems like they've just decided to be super strict on the rules without actually explain how or why.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Blacknose posted:

The actual written requirements haven't changed, just how they're being enforced. It seems to be an intentional dick move towards people converting scruffy old vans to live or travel in.

They have changed from when I did mine 15 years ago. I’m pretty sure I just had to send in some photos of the interior showing bed, fixed sink and fixed cooker (mine was down as an ambulance)

Blacknose posted:

Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll have enough windows. I think you need at least 2 in any one side, plus they'll reject it if it looks like an old work van even if it has some strips on it. And, well, you've all seen my van.

Don't get me wrong I will apply, but I anticipate a rejection based on 'not clearly visible that it's a motor caravan'. Also right now DVLA are super behind, I haven't even had my V5 yet and it's been like 6 weeks.

They make weird rules but they like to see their evidence that you are complying and won’t pass it unless you do meet the rules.

You will need your two windows and you would need to make and effort
With some proper decals (even if you stripped them back off afterwards).

Don’t even bother applying if you can’t tick all the requirements off the list. It won’t get through and they will probably charge you some money.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I think they're just sending them back as 'van with windows', so yeah it's probably a waste. It's a long way off so not gonna worry about it too much either way.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Blacknose posted:

The actual written requirements haven't changed, just how they're being enforced. It seems to be an intentional dick move towards people converting scruffy old vans to live or travel in.

How is that legally enforceable?
Things that are "required" are spelled out in the law, not a matter of opinion on the part of the inspector or other government bellend. Or should be. I understand the difficulty in fighting city hall, and sometimes you just have to suck it up and:

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm reading that as: easily removable strips of vinyl fitted for the inspection and peeled off pretty much immediately.

Blacknose posted:

The answer to all those questions is 'the DVLA does not comment on individual applications'.

Seems like they've just decided to be super strict on the rules without actually explain how or why.

Seriously?
How do you "enforce" things that you can't explain or codify. That's not how legal works. There is a reason for "legalese" - it's a very specifically defined variant of English (substitute language of choice, I assume - I only know English vs. Legal English for certain) to reduce ambiguity as much as possible. Loopholes are created by not expressly defining or mentioning things. (Source: my wife hold a Paralegal Studies degree)
This, of course, depends on someone taking it to court to contest the bullshit, which no one really has time or money for.
This is just your government agency feeling the need to justify their existence and make sure you respect their authority. (bonus points for reading that last bit in Cartman's voice.)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

This is tongue in cheek but -- Are you allowed to carry kitchen knives in a camper but not a windowed van?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

The DVLA are the final authority for this kind of stuff, and the rules are vague enough that they could be interpreted loosely or very strictly. Currently they are doing the latter. Theres really not any way to contest it, they are just strictly enforcing the law as defined by the government.

It's not a big deal for it to remain registered as a commercial vehicle so its not worth any effort to try and avoid that, and there are basically no routes to contest it anyway. Its not a law being enforced as such, just the vehicle registration arm of the government deciding they don't want to change how your vehicle is registered.

The pettiness of British bureaucracy is quite special. I could have a huge rant about it and how its rooted in our entrenched class system and culturally enforced conformity as a hangover from class deference but ehh it's late.

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 2, 2020

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

taqueso posted:

This is tongue in cheek but -- Are you allowed to carry kitchen knives in a camper but not a windowed van?

Pretty sure that's fine. There's only about 3 cops left anyway, all the rest have been laid off.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Our DVLA is like your DMV and operates in what sounds like the exact same way.

There is a form for everything; they work at their speed and you can only get what you want if you tick all of their requirements perfectly.

To register a van as a motor home you have to meet the list of requirements which includes (from their site)
“motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of the vehicle”
and
“2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation”

There is obviously some variable interpretation here so the result is gonna depend on who assesses your application and how well you present it.

Have dealt with them a lot myself I don’t think they are that bad now. You’ve just got to methodically work through things with them how they request and keep it simple and refer to their wording everywhere and present all your evidence properly and with an appropriate covering letter/document.

To meet the above two I’d be including sources for the graphics I used or copied showing their motorCaravan heritage and the reciepts for the motor home specific window units I had installed along with well lit photos.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, that's an accurate summary.

On the other hand I'm not putting graphics on my van, and it's only going to have one (or maybe two) non opening darkly tinted windows.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

https://www.dolphinmotorhomes.co.uk/news/article/32/the-first-motorhome

can't get more heritage than these graphics

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Funny you should suggest that - I already have those fitted.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Tomarse posted:

Don’t even bother applying if you can’t tick all the requirements off the list. It won’t get through and they will probably charge you some money.

FYI I just went through a 4 month battle to register an imported car with them over similar pedantics, and fortunately they don't charge you until they accept the application.

I ended up having to use an agent who is able to speak to the DVLA and get actual feedback, have a conversation, etc. Cost me a few hundred, but got me the info I needed to register the car. You may have luck using a similar service.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

From what I hear about imports I'm pretty glad I bought my Subaru from a professional importer.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

:siren: Cladding is finished :siren:

I also slopped a coat of varnish down on the floor. It was taking a bit of a beating with me working in there, especially coming in and out in wet shoes, so I wanted to make sure it had some protection. In the end none of it will be visible but no point allowing it to become damaged.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

FYI I just went through a 4 month battle to register an imported car with them over similar pedantics, and fortunately they don't charge you until they accept the application.

I ended up having to use an agent who is able to speak to the DVLA and get actual feedback, have a conversation, etc. Cost me a few hundred, but got me the info I needed to register the car. You may have luck using a similar service.

I had to get the records changed on my Landrover last year to get the build date corrected so I could get historic (zero) tax/test on it.
The DVLA lost my application internally which included my original V5 and original copies of all my build evidence. They will not accept that they have lost anything until 4 working weeks have passed.
They then made me pay for a replacement V5 (by cheque) before I could re-apply for the build date correction. (A V5 which would then get immediately superseded by the data change).
I had to re-purchase all the factory evidence in order to re-send it. I hadn't added extra insurance to the original recorded delivery so this cost me another £50 as it wasn't all covered.
The second time they managed to keep my application but lost all the evidence and V5 again. It took them 4 weeks to send me a letter telling me they couldn't process it because of this.
I then rang them and after an argument managed to get escalated through to someone in the relevant team and was able to send digital copies of all my evidence and not have to pay for another V5. The change got processed and showed up in the online checkers in under 24 hours.
Over the next 4 weeks both sets of lost evidence were returned to me in DVLA stationary along with an updated V5!
I then had to hand this V5 in at the post office to get it updated again to show 'historic' as you cant do this at the same time as getting the build date changed. There is no cost for this!

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

That sounds fairly typical for an interaction with the DVLA.

I think I may have varnished large chunks of my hands.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is the insulation you're using mold resistant? I thought that's why foam insulation is mostly used for camper conversions.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

It should be fairly resistant to it, I've what I've read is correct.

e; I just re-checked - it shouldn't support mould growth at all.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If we're sharing DVLA stories, I had to phone a random department there once and the Ann Robinson sounding computer voice breezily informed me that "All of our 167 operators are currently busy. Goodbye." before hanging up. Apparently there was no queue, you just had to get lucky that someone was available? :confused:

Almost as bad as my old old insurance company's phone tree that didn't understand the phonetic alphabet.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Boxed in the wheel arches today.

Step 1: scrounge up all the scrap 2x1s from the garage and cut to 25 different pieces of 6 different lengths. I wish I'd bought a mitre saw with a laser guide.

Step 2: swear a lot, bodge stuff, alter various lengths.

Step 3: done

Next step is to clad them and also to test out the Danish oil I have on some scrap cladding boards.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tomarse posted:

I had to get the records changed on my Landrover last year to get the build date corrected so I could get historic (zero) tax/test on it.
The DVLA lost my application internally which included my original V5 and original copies of all my build evidence. They will not accept that they have lost anything until 4 working weeks have passed.
They then made me pay for a replacement V5 (by cheque) before I could re-apply for the build date correction. (A V5 which would then get immediately superseded by the data change).
I had to re-purchase all the factory evidence in order to re-send it. I hadn't added extra insurance to the original recorded delivery so this cost me another £50 as it wasn't all covered.
The second time they managed to keep my application but lost all the evidence and V5 again. It took them 4 weeks to send me a letter telling me they couldn't process it because of this.
I then rang them and after an argument managed to get escalated through to someone in the relevant team and was able to send digital copies of all my evidence and not have to pay for another V5. The change got processed and showed up in the online checkers in under 24 hours.
Over the next 4 weeks both sets of lost evidence were returned to me in DVLA stationary along with an updated V5!
I then had to hand this V5 in at the post office to get it updated again to show 'historic' as you cant do this at the same time as getting the build date changed. There is no cost for this!

That is some impressive bureaucratic incompetence.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Darchangel posted:

That is some impressive bureaucratic incompetence.

This is the DVLAs slogan.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Spent the last few days finishing the wheel arches, painting the garage area floor and then oiling all of the cladding.

Got some cheapo washable emulsion and found some foam rollers on the floor in the garage. Quickly realised why those rollers were chucked on the floor in the garage and used the massive 15cm brush I had instead.

Once I had two coats of that down I started cladding the wheel arch boxes and stuffed then full of insulation.

Buttoned up and oiled.

Oiling the wood loving sucked. I used Danish oil, brushed on thick then wiped off after 20 or 30 minutes. Got covered in the poo poo and my shoulder hurts from doing the ceiling.

Pretty happy with the result. Could do with a second coat but honestly gently caress that. I can always do the visible bits later on, loads of this will be behind stuff anyway.

Next up is finally chucking the legs under the bed, installing the battery and water tank and cladding the front of the bed with old pallet wood.

I'm also making a list of mechanical stuff.
Probably gonna strip the cab out in the next few weeks for cleaning and a few repairs, and gonna start figuring out an approach for suspension work and replacing the undertray and arch liners. I don't even have any axle stands let alone any knowledge so ehhh.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

buy yourself some axle stands! (we can help advise on the best ones to buy if it helps).

If your cab is also very grotty a small steam cleaner, some cleaning fluid decanted into a hand sprayer, a pack of microfibre cloths and a pack of car detailing brushes works wonders.

do you think that paint will work well on the floor? i'm not sure I'd trust cheap wall emulsion to last well on a floor where there is the danger of sitting water and wet boots. I think it might look poo poo after the first time you go out on a rainy day/wet field. Can you varnish over it to make it last better?

I've been looking at vinyl remnants for mine. 2m x 1.5m will just cover my floor perfectly!

Blacknose posted:

Oiling the wood loving sucked. I used Danish oil, brushed on thick then wiped off after 20 or 30 minutes. Got covered in the poo poo and my shoulder hurts from doing the ceiling.

I keep having to pace myself working on mine because all the powertool use and repetitive movements make my wrist hurt (drilling 120 holes in the ceiling was the worst). I already have a wrist support I wear at my PC. I think i need another one for car work :corsair:

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I think the paint will deteriorate within not the longest time. I just wanted to make sure the floor was well sealed including under where the bed legs/battery/water tank will be. I'm gonna use vinyl or lvt in the front so can always do the same in the garage where bikes/boots will be.

That's pretty much my exact plan for cleaning the cab. I need to replace the drivers seat too but it's a little tricky to get down the scrappy at the minute. Easy job when I can get one.

My issue with doing the mechanical work myself is that while I've got some basic skills (I've owned multiple Citroens and therefore fixed plenty of interior stuff, doors, exhausts etc) I've no idea how to even diagnose whats at fault, and working under a big van scares me a bit. But it's that or pay someone so at some point I need to make that call.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Blacknose posted:

My issue with doing the mechanical work myself is that while I've got some basic skills (I've owned multiple Citroens and therefore fixed plenty of interior stuff, doors, exhausts etc) I've no idea how to even diagnose whats at fault, and working under a big van scares me a bit. But it's that or pay someone so at some point I need to make that call.

Forums and google are for diagnosing! ;)

It’s a big van but it isn’t that heavy so you will be fine if you work sensibly.

You’ve got some solid ground to work on right? Always put it on stands rather than just a jack and chuck the wheels under it too. Get decent rated stands that match the van weight.

You should always look at what it will cost you to pay someone else and work out how many tools or how much useful stuff that would buy you ;)

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I've got some hardstanding. It's in really bad shape so getting a fully flat surface isn't the easiest thing in the world but it's possible. Only problem is I can't leave the van there so once I pull it out I'm committed to having it at least rolling by the end of that day.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Got the bed legs in. This thing is hilariously over engineered.

And put the battery and water tank in location to figure out fitting. Gonna try and get some short ratchet straps I can bolt into the floor to fully secure them.

220ah AGM battery. Fucker weighs almost 50kg and was not fun to carry out to the van.

70 litre Fiamma water tank.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I feel like I've done gently caress all this week but I guess that's not true.

Finished the bed platform. 12mm structural ply on the top.

Clad the front with old pallet boards. I reckon it looks pretty good.

Then fixed the water tank and started routing the filler and breather hose.

Not gonna lie its not the nicest work area in the garage for doing the plumbing and wiring but at least I can sit up straight under there.

This week I need to either finished up the back area with the storage next to the bed or crack on with building the bulkhead and kitchen. Both involve tons of woodworking and I'm struggling to motivate myself for it but I need to press on with one or the other.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I finished the bulkhead then realised it was dumb and am gonna re do it. I used 2x3s behind 12mm ply and it was just way too over engineered and taking up way too much space. Going to rebuild with just the ply and maybe some 18mm timbers.

Also wired in the distribution panel and checked the lighting wiring. Still waiting on switches to arrive for final fit.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Its looking good in the back!.

Over engineered makes fixing stuff to it easier!

My local timber merchant sell 18mm flooring/shuttering plywood which works out very cheap (its only £22/sheet!) for the thickness and amount of wood you get. I bought a sheet to fix a bed base (in my house not in the van) and was amazed by how solid it was. Might work well for your bulkhead and looks like it would finish OK with paint and if you sealed the edges.
https://www.skeelingtimberonlineshop.co.uk/store/18-x-2440mm-x-1220mm-Sturdy-floor-Shuttering-Plywood-p138128944

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

It's definitely easy to attach stuff too. Pretty sure I could build a climbing wall for elephants on it.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Long loving week of undoing the bulkhead, redoing it, fettling it and finally almost finishing it.

Pulled out the 2x3s and replaced them with 1x3s, which was a good move. Attached at the bottom with brackets and blocks to prevent any forward movement. The beams will also be secured from the other side once cabinets start going on.

Let's see how that looks once the ply is on.

OK.

Fucks sake.

Two problems, firstly the ply has warped while I've been loving around with the framing. Secondly the blocks on the far side are all 10mm too long. Time to pull those blocks and alter them.

Super easy to get to. Didn't want to remove the ply because I didn't want to weaken any of the fixing points in the timbers. Pulled the seats, discovered that the floor mat is completely soaked so that's all gonna have to come out too.

It was still on the wonk a bit so I thought gently caress it, let's chuck the top ply on and see what it's like, can always brace it on the back if needs be.

Quite proud of this scribing.

The other side is a bit off but given it'll be behind a cupboard I can live with it.

Much better.

Little bit to finish up at the top, then going to paint the bulkhead.

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 27, 2020

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

:barf:

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Bulkhead should be done, as long as the paint looks good tomorrow after 2 coats.

Also stripped a load of stuff out the cab for cleaning and took the back bumper off to get to the multiple kg of dirt wedged under it.

Discovering more previous owner fuckery too. One corner of the front bumper is held on with wood screws, as is one of the door trims. Also pretty sure this speaker doesn't hit this hole.

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 30, 2020

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

On further inspection when looking what I need to sort out the front bumper I discovered that the intercooler has taken a huge hit at some point, so I've got that and a bunch of front end fixings etc on the way from various breakers and ebay sellers. Will make a nice change from doing woodwork.

e; I also ordered speakers and bodged a window regulator with zipties. Only the best workmanship.

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 30, 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Blacknose posted:

On further inspection when looking what I need to sort out the front bumper I discovered that the intercooler has taken a huge hit at some point, so I've got that and a bunch of front end fixings etc on the way from various breakers and ebay sellers. Will make a nice change from doing woodwork.

This is my experience with delivery vehicles. They tend to get driven early in the morning and late at night, while road construction is either on-going or finishing up. Plenty of crap on the roads getting kicked up into the intercooler. Also sleepy people bumping into stuff, as you do. On Isuzu and Mitsubishi diesel forward control trucks I've seen guys fit steel mesh forward of the intercooler to shield it. It sucks to step out of the truck into a puddle of coolant.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah could easily have been road debris, that or shunting the front into a low wall or a high curb I guess. Suspect the damage to the bumper brackets and the intercooler may be connected. Got all the parts on the way so give it a week or two and you can all enjoy me trying to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Tidied up the damaged paint on the back step with a wire brush and some hammerite. Looks fine from a metre of two away.

Cleaned the whole cab too. It was gross.

After wiping the vinyl on one seat :barf:

Need to finish putting the cab back together, and then the next two jobs are probably building the kitchen units and unfucking the front end of the van as and when the parts arrive.