Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The ironic bit is that CHEP got their start through the simple appropriation of pallets left lying around by the US military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Window fitted and gas inspection done. The gas installation passed easily, with a small advisory that there could be a drop vent under the cooker but it's no big deal. No leaks, no remedial work, and both the engineer and the guy who ran the place complimented me on the work. Nice. Also the van didn't miss a beat across 200 miles, although the steering is a bit nervous so I'll probably get the tracking checked.

Picture at the end of the window installation. It looks way better now and is a lot less dingy inside.

Glad you guys convinced me to do this, also glad I took the time to research it and do it properly.

They also had a cool shop truck. Its the owners daily and the main workshop parts hauler.

If any of you ever need camper work doing in the south of the UK I'd recommend Autohaus Newport without hesitation.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Pretty much finished in the kitchen, just need to put in the tie down for the grey tank and box off the last little bit of gas pipe. That and redo the cupboard doors but we aren't thinking about that right now.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Looking fantastic, awesome work. You naming that beast Clifford?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Like the big red dog?

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Blacknose posted:

Like the big red dog?

Exactly.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I don't name my vehicles but if I did that'd be a front runner.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

This is looking pretty OK I reckon.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Better than the traditional carpet. Probably will wear pretty well, too.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Got a quote for 100 notes to get the wheel carrier welded into the door frame. Think I'm probably just going to get it done so I can panel that door and stop thinking about it.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Bit hot for soldering but I now have a working reverse camera. This is an ordeal I've not discussed much, but I bought a £15 reverse camera and dash cam months ago, against my better judgement. The cable was too short, but no bother I'll just buy a 10 metre one right? Well, it turns out its a weird 5pin standard that basically doesn't exist outside China and even then its not common. I get an extension lead after some searching but for whatever reason it doesn't transmit power.

Eventually I found a 10m lead but I couldn't figure out why it still wouldn't work so put it down for a while to work on other stuff. Sat down with it a few weeks ago and discovered the pinouts weren't right, and inspecting the length of the cable I found a slice in it which was causing shorts between the cores.

Cut to today, I've chopped the bad bit out and soldered it back up and finally the loving thing works.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Are you going to set it to display the rear view all the time as a stand in for a rear view mirror?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Probably run it with the rear as the main camera and the front inset in the corner. I'm not sure I'll be able to get an amazing angle for it as a rear view but it saves wiring the camera into the reverse lights to make it auto switch.

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 9, 2020

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I think the cable is still like a meter too loving short.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Finally made some progress worth posting. Got the tiles up, just need to grout and seal. Decided to use CT1 rather than tile adhesive cos the bulkhead flexes a little and I don't want them falling off.

Looks pretty good already.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks good. Why does your stove have 3 knobs but 2 burners?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

It also has a grill.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Blacknose posted:

It also has a grill.

Translation for Americans: "a broiler".

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is that like a salamander?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Got the bracing welded in for the spare finally. Guy who did it runs a welding/fabricating shop and while I think what he's done is fine the welds are proper snot quality. Hope everything else he's done over the past 30 years has been a bit tidier than this.

But paint hides a multitude of sins.

Bolted the carrier back up and for reasons lost on me 2 of the bolts cross threaded half way down the bolt, so I had to cut two m10 stainless bolts out. Absolute pain in the arse and the cause of the 2 more minor bleeding incidents of the day.

Then moved on to the floor - I bought some cheap self adhesive lvt online. I was quite apprehensive about laying it but it went down super easy in an hour or so.

Fully stabbed myself in the finger with a brand new blade in Stan during the process, but fortunately most the blood went under where the floor now is, and the 2 or 3 splatters on other stuff should wipe off. I promised personal injury and I guess I intend to deliver.

Finished up with the tiles the other night after work too, and stripped down the cabinet doors again to straighten them up.

Tiny bit of tidying to do but the front space is near enough done now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Looking good, nice and light.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

My eye is twitching that there isn't a pattern to the placement of the backsplash tiles, but I'm really liking how 'stealth' the outside is with the modern camper interior.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

They're intentionally random but yeah I get you. I thought about a pattern but figured that would also bother me so I went Hog Wild.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
If those welds are bad I should probably put my welder up for sale. I think they look good especially for welding onto sheet metal, which can be so easy to burn through and tricky to get thicker stuff welded onto.

I has some small angle that I was welding to sheet metal, actually thick stuff, 18ga, and half of the welds were sticking to the sheet and wouldn't penetrate the angle.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Fair enough. Don't get me wrong, they're secure and I'm sure with a bit a grinding could look presentable. The photos is probably of the best weld on there - the top right is pretty messy and there's spatter all up the door and frame.

But I'm no welding expert, so it's reassuring to know that actually it's just a slightly tricky material to work with. Either way, no ones ever going to see it again once I put panels over the inside of that door so :shrug:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Blacknose posted:

Got the bracing welded in for the spare finally. Guy who did it runs a welding/fabricating shop and while I think what he's done is fine the welds are proper snot quality. Hope everything else he's done over the past 30 years has been a bit tidier than this.

Your welding expectations are far too high! Those welds look tidy, well done and solid (especially considering they haven't been tidied up/dressed at all).

You're never going to get perfection when welding new metal to old metal in place on a vehicle unless you pay lots of money (which I assume you didnt!)

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I paid as little as possible. I will readjust my expectations.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Another trickle of progress.

Headboard on the bed. I only have a shot from the back. I've not detailed the process but by this point we all know it's some PSE timber screwed to ply and painted with green emulsion.

Also got the panel on the bottom of the sliding door.

And the cushions + mattress arrived.

Excuse the mattress sticking up, I didn't want to shove it into the space until it had finished expanding. It'll only stick up a few cm above that top board when it's fully seated.

Which leaves the smallest of jobs for the living space left. Cupboard door on the over cab storage, latch for the kitchen doors, panel on the top of the sliding door.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Do you have to add more windows and some graphics to retitle it as a motorhome or are you keeping the stealth look?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

With the current regulations it would never pass without more windows, a professional respray and graphics. Given then it can't have more windows and won't likely have the other two things it's just going to end up registered as a van with windows.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

The mattress has now expanded to its full size and it's a biiiit tight but it's just about OK.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks comfortable. I always thought it would be cool to make a van with hammock mounts inside instead of a bed but idk how well that would actually work

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(
Not sure if you have room, but have you considered putting some sort of vented matting under the mattress? They're always a hotspot for moisture buildup.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I have exactly that. I think it was Dry-mat or something, designed for sailboats.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

Looks comfortable. I always thought it would be cool to make a van with hammock mounts inside instead of a bed but idk how well that would actually work

I'm sure I've seen pictures of hammocks mounted in vans, albeit also with an actual bed.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Took the van out for a night finally.

Parked up by the harbour of an old fishing village called Keyhaven or something.

Was pretty good. Some big takeaways - really need to sort window blinds before using it again, especially wildcamping. Wheel chocks seem important. Take more aeropress filters than you think you'll need. Other than that it went pretty well.

Also went to see the cruise ships parked for covid by Weymouth. The photo doesn't really do justice to how weird seeing like 10 cruise ships just parked up is. Or how big they are.

Cool panorama from portland over chesil beach also.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was just thinking about this thread. Nice work using the van for its purpose! If those are your takeaways it's pretty drat solid overall eh?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah fairly few obvious snags. Oh I really need to put a proper catch on the kitchen doors too - I had to tie them shut with a USB cable.

Going to reprioritise my todo list and continue chipping away at it between working.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Oh also I forgot to put up pics of the finished back door panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Are you going to go full-time #vanlife with it? Looks really good!