Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Blacknose posted:

The actual written requirements haven't changed, just how they're being enforced. It seems to be an intentional dick move towards people converting scruffy old vans to live or travel in.

How is that legally enforceable?
Things that are "required" are spelled out in the law, not a matter of opinion on the part of the inspector or other government bellend. Or should be. I understand the difficulty in fighting city hall, and sometimes you just have to suck it up and:

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm reading that as: easily removable strips of vinyl fitted for the inspection and peeled off pretty much immediately.

Blacknose posted:

The answer to all those questions is 'the DVLA does not comment on individual applications'.

Seems like they've just decided to be super strict on the rules without actually explain how or why.

Seriously?
How do you "enforce" things that you can't explain or codify. That's not how legal works. There is a reason for "legalese" - it's a very specifically defined variant of English (substitute language of choice, I assume - I only know English vs. Legal English for certain) to reduce ambiguity as much as possible. Loopholes are created by not expressly defining or mentioning things. (Source: my wife hold a Paralegal Studies degree)
This, of course, depends on someone taking it to court to contest the bullshit, which no one really has time or money for.
This is just your government agency feeling the need to justify their existence and make sure you respect their authority. (bonus points for reading that last bit in Cartman's voice.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tomarse posted:

I had to get the records changed on my Landrover last year to get the build date corrected so I could get historic (zero) tax/test on it.
The DVLA lost my application internally which included my original V5 and original copies of all my build evidence. They will not accept that they have lost anything until 4 working weeks have passed.
They then made me pay for a replacement V5 (by cheque) before I could re-apply for the build date correction. (A V5 which would then get immediately superseded by the data change).
I had to re-purchase all the factory evidence in order to re-send it. I hadn't added extra insurance to the original recorded delivery so this cost me another £50 as it wasn't all covered.
The second time they managed to keep my application but lost all the evidence and V5 again. It took them 4 weeks to send me a letter telling me they couldn't process it because of this.
I then rang them and after an argument managed to get escalated through to someone in the relevant team and was able to send digital copies of all my evidence and not have to pay for another V5. The change got processed and showed up in the online checkers in under 24 hours.
Over the next 4 weeks both sets of lost evidence were returned to me in DVLA stationary along with an updated V5!
I then had to hand this V5 in at the post office to get it updated again to show 'historic' as you cant do this at the same time as getting the build date changed. There is no cost for this!

That is some impressive bureaucratic incompetence.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Basically, what he said.
Whenever possible, I use a pillar drill for holesaws. Even my little tabletop Craftsman makes the job exponentially more pleasant, between the extra power, belt drive that will give a bit, and the feed mechanism.

Just taking your hand drill off of the "drill" setting on the clutch will go a long ways toward not breaking wrists.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That makes a lot of sense. On the pillar drill, I tend to lift back out of the cut every so often.
There’s also some holes saws that have relief cuts on them, now that I think about it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The basics of using a compass for profiling would be to put the piece you're trying to fit up (your worktop) against what you are profiling to (the bulkhead), squared to whatever you want it to be squared to (the front of your base, in this case) then set the calipers or compas to the width of the largest gap, and run it along the fitted edge so that it marks the closer bits to be cut. Difficult to explain, but easy to show, I guess.
Let me see if I can find something with pictures.

edit: this should give you the idea: https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/how-to-scribe-for-a-perfect-fit/

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 22, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You can also set the dividers to the width of the gap created when your item to be fitted is up tight against the proudest point of the item to be fitted *to*, so you'd be cutting off anywhere from 0-"whatever the gap is" mm. You'd use that if you are concerned about wasting material, but you would have to deal with the saw coming out of the work and then back in at some point, which is sometimes difficult to make smooth.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sharkytm posted:

I'd much rather Reddit than loving FB.

Well, yeah. FB is barely a step above a chat client. And worse at privacy.

e: gently caress yeah page snipe.
You got that cooktop nestled in there nicely. Looks good!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 25, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Some strapping of the same gauge that extends to the double wall portion at the sides would probably be adequate.

edit: maybe use "angle iron" for stiffness/strength.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Blacknose posted:

Every day is a school day.

Homophobic US has a problem with the word "fairy", even when but clearly refers to the winged pixie sort.
More like a fixation with gay and gay-related, really. We're dumb.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Just be sure the diagonal goes from low at the hinge side to high at the latch side, so it's in compression, rather than tension. Though, really, for a door that small, it probably doesn't matter. On my 6' (1.7m?) wide fence gates, it did. It also made a huge difference in rigidity.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Better than the traditional carpet. Probably will wear pretty well, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well, I'd say that it's worth it to try spraying, but I have the luxury of having an air compressor that can handle spray guns.
Spraying is actually easier and yields a better finish, at the expense of being potentially messier, and of course more costly.
Maybe one of the electric sprayers? The technique for making a roller job look good is pretty finicky. Or involves a lot of sanding afterward. Less so with a low-gloss paint, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fair point on the cost and effects of spraying.
Even an HLVP can get overspray *everywhere*. Not as much as an old-school high-pressure sprayer, but I have a red area on my driveway now from painting the engine bay of my RX-7. Of course, I'm incredibly facile with making messes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Very much standard.
For one thing, new stuff comes out, or you learn about different stuff, and want to incorporate that. Or you live with a thing for a while and realize a different way to arrangement that is better for how you use it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lessons learned are a thing, yes. :P

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Well, that's pretty.

Agreed. Came out nice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

You did a great job. We look forward to the update whenever it comes.

What he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Right on! Glad the van and you are doing well, and the van helped you find a place.
Sounds like maybe you should avoid France, though. They keep breaking your van. :P