Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Blacknose posted:

Yeah, I'm lazy in the sense of disliking 'work', but have done work I'm very proud of in my spare time for free - coordinator/mechanic at a bike co-op, ran a community space used by loads of left/arts groups, animal rights stuff, trained at a left wing boxing club and helped with workshops, Cool stuff I'm not gonna discuss. Shame I've never made a penny off any of it and never will.

I unironically blame capitalism. We aren't wired up to enjoy wage slavery. And that's why I want to spend a few months/years bumming around in a van in Europe, possibly again in NZ and seeing more of the US (if y'all can stop with the fascism) and Canada.

But covid can't last forever, and the world is likely to still be there afterwards.

Seconding the 'cool dude' thing. Hopefully you get a chance to gently caress off somewhere and use the van for its intended purpose, sooner rather than later. I know that doesn't exactly seem likely when you look at the fuckery of the government here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Probably a whole load cheaper than the £40+ those are selling for elsewhere too. Bolt through forks are such a great invention, especially when you can use them to secure them places.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I remember when Maverick release those SC32 single crown upside downies and they were saying the amount of flex in them actually helped and the bike mags jizzed their collective pants over them. They were worse than Rock Shox Sids from the late 90s, full on noodle tech despite the through axle.

And yeah I definitely don't miss my playbike (much). That was about 22KG in full DH attire and a complete nightmare to pedal anywhere.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Blacknose posted:

It turns out dailying a 6 metre long, 2.8 metre high van kind of sucks though

I mean you're wrong but that's OK. I used to love climbing into my LWB high roof Relay and heading off to drive round Yorkshire in it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Blacknose posted:

Yeah but it doesn't fit in the Sainsbury's carpark.

Honestly part of it was just being anxious about getting in some low speed collision round town and it being written off by the insurers. Actually driving the van daily is completely fine, it drives like a big car with a tractor gearbox. The other part was using it as justification to buy a Suzuki Swift Sport, which I've fancied one of for ages.

I made that van fit plenty of places it shouldn't but yeah you're definitely resigning yourself to parking at the back of the car park if you have to interact with normal sized vehicles. I miss that thing. And the added bonus of van life as you've found out is driving a normal car then feels incredible :v: