Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
gently caress yes another camper build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tomarse posted:

Don't ever use silicon sealant on the external bits of anything

seconding this.
I've never used CT1 though I'm curious. I'm a fan of 3M's 4000 and 5200 series marine sealant. Eternabond is also your friend.

E: sikaflex p2b (eh it's alright), 3m windoweld, and butyl for window or high vibe environments.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 18, 2020

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You'll be fine! Use a spray bottle with some diluted dish soap and water to check for leaks. Try not to kink the hell out of any copper lines too, though stateside camper builders do this without a problem so ymmv :v:
Like Tomarse said, seal the bottle storage cabinet up and vent it down as the gas is heavier than air.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Your woodworking ability and speed continues to amaze

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Blacknose posted:

Dunno if I'm going to keep the thread going. I really loving hate domestic abusers and don't know if I want to keep posting here as a result. I want to finish documenting the build and, assuming anyone is actually following it, finish showing you guys that process but blurgh what a wasteman.

Gonna sleep on it, I've got photos of the gas fitting so that'll be next if I keep posting.

The stove looks awesome. I'm with you there. Maybe an imgur thread posted on the ai slack would work for the time being.

E: made a #projects thread on slack as Tomarse pointed out

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
:justpost:

Hell yes now cook something!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

STR posted:

This is a theme in two different threads now. :v:

It's frustrating enough I want to create a rvlife parts hardware startup because gently caress the current parts climate with a rope

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Isn't finish work so much fun?
So easy to ruin, so time consuming to fix.

At like 18 or 19 I chipped the nose of a C3 Corvette fitting the hood working in a shop. Of course they painted the car before doing panel fitment.
I wound up paying for that fuckup for like 6 weeks.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Blacknose posted:

Two big milestones for the van today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1EgCeXpa4k

HELL YES!!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Blacknose posted:

Originally the plan was to spend the best part of this year travelling Europe full time. Unfortunately covid became a problem round about the time I quit my job and bought the van. With brexit also happening at the end of this year (and no idea what travel restrictions that may lead to, the UK is a dumb loving country jfc) it's not clear when we'll be making that trip. Maybe 2021, maybe 2022, maybe never.

e; to expand on this slightly: it's been a fairly big mental struggle at times to give a poo poo about the build because I know that it won't be used for it's intended purpose for some time. I've been wanting to do some proper travelling for a while and really don't mech well with 9-5 office life (actually I loving hate it) and this was The Opportunity. Now it's kind of all in the shitter, same as everyone else's plans, and I'm back doing software engineering full time but now contracting so I don't even get any annual leave. Honestly, I just try not to think about it too much and hope that maybe next year a big trip will be viable again.

That's a dilemma all too understandable. Don't get too discouraged over something outside of your power, at the end of the day you still have a kickass van. Right now is a great time to keep doing trials to get it all the wrinkles ironed out for the future Europe trip. Is it possible for you to remotely perform contracting work?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Blacknose posted:

Yeah, I'm lazy in the sense of disliking 'work', but have done work I'm very proud of in my spare time for free - coordinator/mechanic at a bike co-op, ran a community space used by loads of left/arts groups, animal rights stuff, trained at a left wing boxing club and helped with workshops, Cool stuff I'm not gonna discuss. Shame I've never made a penny off any of it and never will.

I unironically blame capitalism. We aren't wired up to enjoy wage slavery. And that's why I want to spend a few months/years bumming around in a van in Europe, possibly again in NZ and seeing more of the US (if y'all can stop with the fascism) and Canada.

But covid can't last forever, and the world is likely to still be there afterwards.

You're cool and good.

beep-beep car is go posted:

Oooooooor you could get some kind of decent* internet in the van and gently caress off now and WFV (work from van) contracting and building your nest egg ever higher because you're not paying rent/utilities. :getin:

I was kinda darting around this. Add in a little extra bit. Stationary for 14 days, C19 test, then find a new place to drop anchor. If the van can boondock for 14 days solid, you'll be alright in this hellscape.

Blacknose posted:

Yeah I mean that's basically why I went into software engineering, it's easy money by any relative standards. It just turns out that desk jobs suit me pretty badly. First World problems at their finest.

Deskjobs haven't been kind to my physical body, I kind of long for the days of crawling around diesel engines 10 times my weight. However it translates to this kind of lifestyle oh-so-good.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah it looks great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Fuckyea what a hell of a story.

Sometimes the journey is the best vehicle. Take every opportunity to get lost. By any luck you'll discover something new. Sometimes that discovery is you.