Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was wondering what that was supposed to look like. When the holes weren't lining up did you spend a lot of time rearranging and second guessing your ability to follow directions? I would have lost hours to that.

Great progress overall. I like lurking here and learning about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Absolutely put a diagonal piece across the back. Like a wooden gate might have. Wedge it fully between the top and bottom rails.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
If those welds are bad I should probably put my welder up for sale. I think they look good especially for welding onto sheet metal, which can be so easy to burn through and tricky to get thicker stuff welded onto.

I has some small angle that I was welding to sheet metal, actually thick stuff, 18ga, and half of the welds were sticking to the sheet and wouldn't penetrate the angle.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was just thinking about this thread. Nice work using the van for its purpose! If those are your takeaways it's pretty drat solid overall eh?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Blacknose posted:

Covid lockdowns across Europe make this basically impossible sadly. On the plus side I have a mortgage not rent so hopefully that money isn't lost forever.

I'd actually prefer to save travelling for when I can do it without a job because I really cannot stress how much I dislike working. Maybe that makes me lazy or a layabout or something, but I'm completely at peace with it.

Yeah so lazy that you built out an entire van, pretty quickly too. You should be at peace with it. The truly lazy are sitting back watching TV all day.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Blacknose posted:

Yeah, I'm lazy in the sense of disliking 'work', but have done work I'm very proud of in my spare time for free - coordinator/mechanic at a bike co-op, ran a community space used by loads of left/arts groups, animal rights stuff, trained at a left wing boxing club and helped with workshops, Cool stuff I'm not gonna discuss. Shame I've never made a penny off any of it and never will.

I unironically blame capitalism. We aren't wired up to enjoy wage slavery. And that's why I want to spend a few months/years bumming around in a van in Europe, possibly again in NZ and seeing more of the US (if y'all can stop with the fascism) and Canada.

But covid can't last forever, and the world is likely to still be there afterwards.

We would get along.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
This was an outdoor spray job using a low voc paint and a turbine sprayer. Most of the paint went on the truck and I don't have little orange flecks all over the driveway and house, the overspray really is less on turbines.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864300&pagenumber=8&perpage=40&userid=0#post510307462

And I definitely don't hate it. If I was just respraying I bet I could have knocked it out in a couple weekends. I could bring it down to one long weekend with single stage paint if you can get it. The clear really did add a lot of sanding and polishing plus the clean and spray time.

Of course a van is a lot more square footage, so each step is going to take time. The actual spraying time is probably very close to the rolling time. Just like inside the house, all the time is in prep.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Blacknose posted:

I've been following your thread and I've got to say your truck looks great. I know very little about painting so will look into what a turbine sprayer is and what the advantages are, thanks for the tip.

Oh thanks! I wasn't sure.

I doubt you'll want to buy a sprayer for one job. I justified it as a comparison to getting a pro paint job for two or more cars and I think it was fun. Perhaps you know somebody with one or to rent or something though. Mine was about $700 and I dropped another $700 on paint and supplies.

Of course now if I find another $500 Celica like I used to have I can buy $300 in the cheapest possible paint and zazz it up.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That looks very nice. Clean and simple.

But what happened to the OP? Why didn't they post the pics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CaptainTofu posted:

Excuse the double post, but I'm thinking the van would look better with black wheel centre caps rather than grey. Anyone have an opnion?

It would look better with grey wheels and black center caps.