Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Seems like a ton of wasted space and a loss of headroom. Couldn't you put some storage up there? Every campervan I've used was always short on storage, and that seems like a good spot for some bulk storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Blacknose posted:

You mean above the back door? I agree about it being a shame not to have storage there. I'm gonna try and figure something out there for sure the void is only maybe 10 or 15cm deep though so it's not a vast loss. No loss of headroom from it, the cladding is entirely within the recess.

I'd you mean the cladding on the sides with the wedges, that's the minimum angle to clear the mounts where the fibreglass roof bolts to the van unibody. It's a huge pain in the arse.

Both, really. Those mounts are definitely a pain, I see them now. I'd think about boxing them out with ply and putting netting or something across them. That's a lot of space being eaten up by air. Stretchy netting is ideal for situations like that, it lies flat when you don't need it, but you can pack a bunch of light objects easily at hand when you're in bed. Alternately, lipped shelves might work, but poo poo won't stay put when you're in motion. The rear might be a good spot for shoes or something. Cubbies are always nice in a camper.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Sounds like you've got it covered. Building storage is certainly slower than flat panels, and you lose some insulation space too. I was thinking headroom when you're in bed, not over the open floor.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

STR posted:

Slack is more for active chat.

Someone in the FB group suggested we move to a private reddit group - he grabbed /r/automotiveinsanity awhile back. I know CT is hyper-anti-reddit, but it would give us the ability to have threads and such.

I'd much rather Reddit than loving FB.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Now you just gotta cut/polish the paint to get rid of the fading!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Probably a whole load cheaper than the £40+ those are selling for elsewhere too. Bolt through forks are such a great invention, especially when you can use them to secure them places.

Too say nothing of the torsional rigidity. I miss my old Marzocchi Bomber DJ1 QR20... The old days of 20kg downhill/freeride bikes.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That was about 22KG in full DH attire and a complete nightmare to pedal anywhere.

Except downhill, at speed!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Well, that's pretty.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

cakesmith handyman posted:

I have an opinion.

Colorful centre caps. Like eye searing.

I didn't say it was a good opinion.

Fluoro colors, different for each cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm jealous. Looks like a great time and loads of fun and friends (and France).