Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Niiiice! Will you pop a window out of the firewall between the cockpit and the living space for more light and space, or keep it sealed for privacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Blacknose posted:

I've actually completely removed the factory bulkhead and I'll be building a new one out of thick ply and some big timbers with a window/access hatch through to the cab.

Girt lush :)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Don't ever use silicon sealant on the external bits of the van, especially the roof - it wont last. It will seal fine to start with but then after a while it will leak.

I think it just cant take the combination of the vibrations and heat. Ask me how I know this!

I don't know what CT1 is like but I am now a convert to Sikaflex 221 which is loving amazing at sealing and gluing stuff together and can be overpainted unlike silicone. Its £7 or £8 per tube off ebay. You can tell it is good poo poo because if you get it on your hands it will be there for atleast a week,

With experience from looking after boats and ships; if you want something to be waterproof, drill as few holes in it as you can.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Blacknose posted:

I agree that a permanent fixed double bed is a lot of space. The reasoning is two fold, firstly it means I can use a real mattress and be comfy af when sleeping, the other is storing mountain bikes underneath. The height of the bed will be such that you can just about sit up in bed without your head touching the ceiling in a van with over 2m of load height, to give you an idea of the garage space underneath.

I thought long and hard and you just can't do that with a rear sitting area.

Also r.e. CT1, it's a permanent adhesive/sealant comparable to the caravan sikaflex, 512 I think?

Sounds like the perfect van tbh; an MTB garage out back and a permanent bed to crash out into without faffing about at the end of a long day. Aside from beers and a small camping stove, what more could a trail dirtbag need? :)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Blacknose posted:

I'm waffling between painting and oiling for the walls. Most likely go for a light oil.

Definitely oil gets my vote.

Thinking about side windows at all?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
That's proper tidy!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Darchangel posted:

Just taking your hand drill off of the "drill" setting on the clutch will go a long ways toward not breaking wrists.

Yeah, take the clutch torque setting down a bit, and make sure you're steady on the work and not changing the holesaw angle when your arm tires.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Blacknose posted:

Oils meant to leak out of the hose between the turbo and the intercooler right? :suicide:

How else would you know it's a Renault?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Blacknose posted:

It also has a grill.

Translation for Americans: "a broiler".

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Mate, that's an arse!

i'd love to see some more pics of it though.

Your thread was a bit of an inspiration; i've bought an SWB transit and i'm doing much the same as you - only smaller in scope :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
gently caress yeah! Good work, well done - on your life, that is. (the van is cool too) :cool: