Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Thought you guys would appreciate this:

1974 Minnie Winnie (1 ton dodge van chassis camper with a Dana 70 dually rear) loaded weight rating ~9000 lbs that my dad is rebuilding. Rear end sagged about a foot, the entire thing is needing rebuilt, but he likes projects. Cut until we found why it's sagging :yikes:

That's with the rear frame section on a jackstand to support its weight. The box section is butted up to the end of the van chassis frame on the right side in the picture, and the entire channel had collapsed. Yes, that is the rear leaf spring mount on a 9000 lb RV. No, there isn't anything else holding it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I wonder if a set of airbags to push the rear up and shift the weight more forward would be a reasonable solution? Seems like it would balance it out a bit and might get you down below your tire payload on the rear. Heavy fucker for sure, I'd be more worried about the what-if of blowing a rear tire than any wear from near-capacity use. Great work on the thing!