Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cda

by Hand Knit
That's very close to my feelings about the book. FWIW I read it way the hell before the Me Too stuff and the misogyny was really frustrating to me for the reasons you mention, and if you read more of his stuff you will see that it's all very similar in that regard to the point that it feels like each book is just a new failed attempt to see women as people and to escape the machismo. Like, he's self-aware enough to know there's a problem, but the problem is so central to his identity that he just can't get rid of it, and he's a real entertaining writer but he's not good enough to pull that off (unlike Saul Bellow or V.S. Naipaul).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

I’ve been posting in tbb about what I’ve been reading recently but I remembered this thread and thought to share!

I was trying to go on a Canadian fiction year and read The Little Girl Who was Too Fond of Matches by Gaetan Soucy (eng translation) which was very dark but also incredible in its narration style (doubly amazing because it’s translated) and then I read Nikolski by Nicolas Dickner (eng translation), which was very sweet and relaxing but left me wanting to read something meatier.

beer pal

u canadian nut me too. i think the only canadian novel ive read is station eleven which i didnt like all that much. recently i read the wretched of the earth which i found very useful and now im reading the three body problem which is one of those sci fi novels that has some interesting ideas but its weighed down by dull writing and cardboard characters and a bunch of hard science stuff i dont care about

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

nut

beer pal posted:

u canadian nut me too. i think the only canadian novel ive read is station eleven which i didnt like all that much.

ya! I’m not super wild about a lot of canlit I’ve read but outside of the two above I’d rec Miriam Toews, maybe specifically a complicated kindness, and oh come thou tortoise (which I liked even more) by I can’t remember her name

the unabonger
During these times I am rereading The Black Panthers Speak which is a collection of BPP literature collected by Philip Foner, and I am currently rereading The Watsons go to Birmingham 1963 because I am now in charge of the 6th Grade ELA and SS curriculum at my school and I would like to read this as part of a unit on "coming of age" and perspective in ELA and as part of a mini-unit in SS on critical analysis of how historical fiction and non-fiction accounts of the same events can impact you in different ways.

take the moon

by sebmojo
i finished a le epic reread of the sound & the fury which is maybe lit. now my favourite book ever. both quentins did nothing wrong

dalton ames :argh:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

take the moon

by sebmojo
im reading some fantasy thing now but man idk its not doing it for me after that poo poo

----------------

nut

I started up Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides today and it is good so far

cda

by Hand Knit

nut posted:

I started up Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides today and it is good so far

I prefer high sex

nut

high sex I’m dad

take the moon

by sebmojo
I read one Eugene dies and I think it was enough. It seemed a little trifling

Re: can lit u might as well go full hipster and read the Moodie journals. we kind of peaked there I feel like

I didn't think station eleven was bad but boy was it overrated

----------------

nut

nut posted:

canlit I don’t see suggested enough is Stephen Leacock I guess mostly because he was very goofy but his writing is intensely byob and good and so much funnier than any book that’s won the award named after him gently caress you terry fallis if you’re reading this sorry

If you get a chance (it’s small and on project Gutenberg) read Nonsense Novels and tell me you wouldn’t have 5’d that thread

nut fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 2, 2020

nut

wow I messed up that post something fierce

alexandriao

i flunked out posted:

During these times I am rereading The Black Panthers Speak which is a collection of BPP literature collected by Philip Foner

oh lit, thank u. i really liked, "why i dont talk to white people about race", altho idk if it's a book you can like per se. anyway it goes through the history of the british civil rights movement and has been amazing w that bcos the history is basically not taught at all. and there's no clear outlet where you can get a non-whitewashed version of it.

ive been reading revelation space by alastair reynolds and it's good, except for the fact my ebook copy/reader doesn't show paragraphs very well so I'll get like 5 lines in and realise it's taking place somewhere else following a different person sigh

beer pal

take the moon posted:

I read one Eugene dies and I think it was enough. It seemed a little trifling

Re: can lit u might as well go full hipster and read the Moodie journals. we kind of peaked there I feel like

I didn't think station eleven was bad but boy was it overrated

ya i dont think station elven is bad but it didnt marie kondo voice spark joy for me ya know

weed cat

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
i have also been posting in tbb but i've recently read Neuromancer, Into The Wild, and Star Trek: TNG - Headlong Flight and have a bunch of partly finished stuff on my kindle

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
The Mirror and the Light.

It's okay but it just makes me want to go back and read Wolf Hall and Bringing Up the Bodies again.

I really, really wanted to get my hands on this sweet, long book about the Border Reivers but it seems to go for like $50 as a paperback.

beer pal

weed cat posted:

i have also been posting in tbb but i've recently read Neuromancer, Into The Wild, and Star Trek: TNG - Headlong Flight and have a bunch of partly finished stuff on my kindle

what did you think of neuromancer, ive been curious to read it. i imagine it to be like endearingly corny

ulvir

in between norwegian books that may or may never get translated into english, I’m reading my way through In search of lost time. about 50% done with volume 3 now

it’s really good, and it’s funny how goony the narrator is.

take the moon

by sebmojo

beer pal posted:

what did you think of neuromancer, ive been curious to read it. i imagine it to be like endearingly corny

i wouldnt read any of the followups or like anything else hes done cuz itll ~spoil the magic~ but it is honestly p dank

----------------

weed cat

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

beer pal posted:

yeah, it's about like that, kinda pulpy sci-fi. maybe a little more subdued than Snowcrash, but probably not by much. ending was a little more cerebral though, that part reminded me of Diamond Age if anything.

nut

started mr. Palomar after sitting on it for seemingly forever. it’s very funny and acts as a way more accessible and practical explanation of philosophical ideas I wasted too much time trying to understand from Wikipedia articles

beer pal

im reading crying of lot 49 which ive heard is either his best or worst novel. an alternative position ive hard is that its somewhere in the middle.

nut

beer pal posted:

im reading crying of lot 49 which ive heard is either his best or worst novel. an alternative position ive hard is that its somewhere in the middle.

I dragged myself through it but just never got into it. I have so many friends that adore it that I feel like I should try again

ulvir

beer pal posted:

it’s decent enough but I think gravity’s rainbow and even inherent vice are better

haven’t read mason & dixon or V. yet

cda

by Hand Knit
Should've called it the Crying of Lot 69

nut

how about the trying of pot 420

cda

by Hand Knit

nut posted:

how about the trying of pot 420

:master:

beer pal

holy poo poo

cda

by Hand Knit
The Trying of Pot 420
V (pronounced "Weed")
Gravity's Bong
Kindland

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Crying of lot 49 is a great book. Tied with Mason & Dixon for my favorite Pynchon. Oddly, I have never made it all the way through Gravity's Rainbow. Next to Finnegan's Wake, it's the only book I've started but not finished. If nothing else, I for sure have the time to read right now, so I really don't have an excuse.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

take the moon

by sebmojo
ill be real: i v much want to try finnegans wake.

gravitys rainbow i liked but idk not rly as much as i hoped i would

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
Here's what I did with Finnegan's Wake, and it worked great. I got a bottle of whiskey and then drank and read it out loud. Took me about five bottles to get through it (not all in one sitting obviously). Anyways, it was really fun. The sweet spot was somewhere between tipsy and drunk.

The thing is it's almost impossible to read or loud without making mistakes but when you're drinking whiskey you have an excuse.

beer pal

i didnt like lot 49 that much (i liked v a lot better) now im reading 100 yeras of solitude and its pretty charmign so far

nut

beer pal posted:

i didnt like lot 49 that much (i liked v a lot better) now im reading 100 yeras of solitude and its pretty charmign so far

i love 100 years so much, changed my entire taste

take the moon

by sebmojo
there are zumbos in this book orbs

----------------

beer pal

the author did a very rude prank on me where he named all the characters the same name

nut

beer pal posted:

the author did a very rude prank on me where he named all the characters the same name

r u reading physical or ebook? i found physical esp good for 100 years because there's a family tree in the start w all the namers

beer pal

ya ive got a physical copy and its got the tree but a) its spoilers ok and b) how much good does it do me to know that angelino's sons are angelino and jose angelino and his daugther is angelina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

it does u so good