Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous

a lot of goons recommend Wolves on the Border but i haven't got to it yet

the Grey Death trilogy is fun b-tier scifi

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo

I read King's Billy Summers all day yesterday and forgot to eat. Woke up at like 2½ feeling loving terrible. When I realized I hadn't eaten I did what any sensible person does and ate a macaroni box in the night.

I think it's fair to say the book is riveting.

Pizzatime

Hummingbird Salamander

it's really boring actually. read annihilation instead

caspergers

Rags to Liches posted:

I started reading Blood Music by Greg Bear last night and I didn’t realize that I’d gotten halfway through it

i wish i could read this fast :smith:

e: lovely snipe, let me contribute

Listening to Come with Me by Ronald Malfi. After going through and abandoning a lot of pulpy horror and thrillers with decent premises but are just not well written or emotive, this book is a breath of fresh air. I haven't finished it yet and I feel like it'll end up having been meaningless, but at least it totally stupid.

caspergers fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 4, 2023

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
listened to an audiobook of The Stranger on the work commute

i've read it before, like 10 years ago, but enjoyed it much more this time

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

baka of lathspell

im reading the white hotel by DM Thomas which is Freudian historyfic which is sparsed with poetry and epistolary elements with freak almost paranormal stuff exploring possibilities of what at the time they called hysteria or mass hysteria & its a lil horny but the prose is really good

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

caspergers posted:

i wish i could read this fast :smith:

It’s a combo of adhd and an English degree, if I’m invested in something I’m reading I’ll stay up all night to finish it, but the downside is I’m always reading half a dozen things at the same time about god knows what.

baka of lathspell

Rags to Liches posted:

It’s a combo of adhd and an English degree, if I’m invested in something I’m reading I’ll stay up all night to finish it, but the downside is I’m always reading half a dozen things at the same time about god knows what.

i have this problem too and i never thought of the correlation

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

it took me forever to figure it out too, but it makes sense

I'd live in a library if I could tbh

Finger Prince

Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
An interesting take on manufactued non human intelligences and how they might come to live along side human intelligences. There are some fizzy bits that once revealed are quite fizzy. It isn't the most riveting book, but it's worth a read if you're interested in a different sort of take on the subject.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Pizzatime posted:

Hummingbird Salamander

it's really boring actually. read annihilation instead

I liked it, it was more straightforward than his some of his older work. But to each their own, I can see wanting more Annihilation, getting Hummingbird and getting disappointed

Quadramind

I must give annihilation a shot. Have only read Finch, which I thought was brilliant.

baka of lathspell

i was rereading annihilation recently cuz i found this omnibus of the trilogy (the illustrated softcover) but i came up on short on a birthday so i used it as a gift. guess i will wait till later... to reread all that. pretty good tho

i dont like the idea that hummingbird salamander might actually suck. is it a conclusion to the dead astronauts thing i forget now

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

LurchinTard
reading City of Glass by Paul Auster (novel, not graphic novel) very good so far.

baka of lathspell

LurchinTard posted:

reading City of Glass by Paul Auster (novel, not graphic novel) very good so far.

ah i loved all those whole tril v good

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Book 4 of the Expanse series

Ass-penny

about halfway through The Gateway Trip by Frederik Pohl, it is ok. the into part of the book made it pretty clear Pohl has a big ol boner for humanity and our society, which is a point of contention for me, but it's chilled out some. pretty quick read too.

Buttchocks posted:

Book 4 of the Expanse series

:hf:

beer pal

im reading melancholy of resistance by laszlo krasznahorkai. pretty good. before that i read wise blood by flannery o'connor. pretty good. before that i read human acts by han kang. i loved the vegetarian but i thought this one was not all that good. before that i read no country for old men by cormac mccarthy. pretty good.

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

baka fwocka fwame posted:

i dont like the idea that hummingbird salamander might actually suck. is it a conclusion to the dead astronauts thing i forget now

It doesn't seem to be connected in any way to the Dead Astronauts/Borne books, it's a standalone thriller but it is about genetically modified animals and a woman chasing down a conspiracy

Andoman

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Started reading the Horus Heresy series before realising how many books long it is … it may keep me going for a while

3D Megadoodoo

Andoman posted:

Started reading the Horus Heresy series before realising how many books long it is … it may keep me going for a while

I bought (what I thought was) the first Riftwar book by Raymond Feist because I liked Betrayal at Krondor back in the day. Turns out it's only ½ of the first book, and there's like 40 000 more. I... don't think I'll be reading them all.

baka of lathspell

the kids need to learn about the riftwars sooner or later

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

the unabonger
Reading a couple books right now.

I'm reading the number of the beast and it's genuinely annoying me rn. It feels like it's purposely bad at times, as an homage to bad elements of science fiction? Idk how else to describe it. It feels like he's leaning so far into the tropes of the genre that it's sometimes genuinely detrimental.

It reminds me of when a horror fan writes a meta novel about slashers, where it's clearly a love letter to the genre, but not always in a pleasurable way.

Holy poo poo are there a lot of references.

Speaking of novels where a fan of slashers writes a slasher book, I'm working on the two books of the Indian lake trilogy that are out. First one got quite busy at the end, but was quite enjoyable for me. I'm working on the second novel, and I'm enjoying it alot

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Let me simplify it for you: it's not a good book.

Ass-penny

three of my favorite stand up comedians published books this month, really need to get my rear end to a bookstore.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

rear end-penny posted:

three of my favorite stand up comedians published books this month, really need to get my rear end to a bookstore.

Who are they?

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.
Rereading Snow Crash (very awesome book - very very cool and good)

Also rereading the First Law trilogy (also very awesome)

Quadramind

I read excerpt from The Other Side by Alfred Kubin and ordered the book immediately cos it's so good.

Came across it in The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories, edited by Ann and Jeff Vandermeer.

3D Megadoodoo

baka fwocka fwame posted:

the kids need to learn about the riftwars sooner or later

My favourite line is when Gorath says "man, I'm really tired of these Rift Wars".

3D Megadoodoo

rear end-penny posted:

Oh gently caress The Clementine Complex really did come out this month.

I wonder if it will whelm me less or more than the first book.

Quadramind

oh, poo poo! New Bob Mortimer? Might have to restart my audible subscription for that. I think it definitely helps to hear it with his delivery

3D Megadoodoo

Quadramind posted:

oh, poo poo! New Bob Mortimer? Might have to restart my audible subscription for that. I think it definitely helps to hear it with his delivery

Oh he reads it himself? That would work yeah.

Ass-penny

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh gently caress The Clementine Complex really did come out this month.

I wonder if it will whelm me less or more than the first book.

lol I have never even heard of this dude. lotta comedy books this September
in the order I learned of their new books, I'm talking about Maria Bamford, Aparna Nancherla, and Gary Gulman.

3D Megadoodoo

rear end-penny posted:

lol I have never even heard of this dude.

Do yourself a favour and search for "Bob Mortimer WILTY*" on the You tube, and watch all the clips. He's mad good at the game.

*) Would I Lie to You

e: Oh and the Complex book (the first one, haven't read the new one) is not comedy, it's a novel. And it's not a humorous novel as such. I think Mortimer has published some comedy books before.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 22, 2023

Quadramind

That's so weird. I thought it was absolutely hilarious.

Andoman

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I bought (what I thought was) the first Riftwar book by Raymond Feist because I liked Betrayal at Krondor back in the day. Turns out it's only ½ of the first book, and there's like 40 000 more. I... don't think I'll be reading them all.

Great series though

xcheopis

A good weekend to re-read the Molesworth books.

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

Ass-penny

finally started this shredded copy of Bully for Brontosaurus last week. I've had this drat book for years but have put off reading it, no longer. I only have the first half of the book. been a very long time since I read non-fiction

xcheopis

rear end-penny posted:

finally started this shredded copy of Bully for Brontosaurus last week. I've had this drat book for years but have put off reading it, no longer. I only have the first half of the book. been a very long time since I read non-fiction

:classiclol:

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdvilSmith

Broken! Busted! Everybody has something to repair. Before buying new, let Mighty Putty fix it for you.
Currently audiobook booking and reading in bed, Hogfather. Not very far into it yet but I love it. I had just finished Small Gods the other day and it also was fantastic. Cant believe I slept on the Discworld stuff for so long.

thank you RavenousScoot 🤘🐹