Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer pal

gonna do my own translation and be like jose arcadio (the one who does the silver stuff) and rebeca (shes the one who eats dirts if u forgot)

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit
reading jr by william gaddis and oh boy is it good

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

beer pal

sounds up my alley from the synopsis

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

im reading "searching for sasquatch" it's quite interesting. it's not about sasquatch. it's about the people who look for him and what's goin' on in their heads

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

take the moon

by sebmojo
taking another stab at blood meridian

----------------

take the moon

by sebmojo
man cda

that sig......

----------------

okiedoke

I am the Doke to the Okie
HP, did you read the 3rd book in The Stormlight Archives? I've read the first 2 and the 4th is about to come out I think. That's really the only series I enjoy from Sanderson and curious to see if it stays good or strays towards his other books. I need to dust off my goodreads thing cause I totally forget about what's current or coming out.

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
So I picked up a ludicrous bestseller by this guy at a nice pop-up library and got at it on a few breaks.

It was nearly unreadable :smuggo:

Dozens of pages of just "Commander you are not cleared to land that plane in this airfield" being met with "You see the badge on that boy, sergeant?! That is given out to elite special secret operations operators. You do what this man says and then lie to the President about it! That's an order!"

:(

e: Are the Tom Clancy novels this bad? I am here for a while longer and have limited material.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 18, 2020

take the moon

by sebmojo
lmao

idk dude I didn't think anyone actually read those. Like James Patterson or some poo poo some algorithm somewhere went wonky and decided we need them

----------------

Bright Bart

take the moon posted:

lmao

idk dude I didn't think anyone actually read those. Like James Patterson or some poo poo some algorithm somewhere went wonky and decided we need them

Speedreading was this weird woo class at Uni. You paid some money and they did some drills. Mostly lawyers, pre-med, and politicians. But whatever that woo was it worked. And now that just means going through garbage a fast rate Once you start you might as well finish because you are 150 pages in.

Have a Netflix-cover Witcher though.

I brought my Drake

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I bought a book on local folklore and it turned out to be a bust. No, I don't need several pages on the history of fairies and witches. I want to know where they are in my area and how to meet them dangit.

SASS-133DCB

cda

by Hand Knit

Bright Bart posted:

So I picked up a ludicrous bestseller by this guy at a nice pop-up library and got at it on a few breaks.

Dozens of pages of just "Commander you are not cleared to land that plane in this airfield" being met with "You see the badge on that boy, sergeant?! That is given out to elite special secret operations operators. You do what this man says and then lie to the President about it! That's an order!"

e: Are the Tom Clancy novels this bad? I am here for a while longer and have limited material.

lol his real name is William Edward Butterworth III

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
William Edward Butttheshitmanfart III

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Bright Bart posted:

go for clive cussler if you can. dirk pitt novels often reach so-ludicrous-theyre-kind-of-good

----------------

nut

I finished Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides recently and am waiting for books in the mail but they will probably take a week. I’m filling the time with a biography of the guy behind MK ULTRA and the ARPA background of the internet and am now realizing I gotta find some fiction to supplement before I go insane

Finger Prince

I'm kinda sci-fied out and want to read some of the other genre of book, which is to say fantasy, for a bit. Just finished clockwork boys + the wonder engine because kindle kept shoving them in my face and they were on sale. They were alright, nothing amazing though. The first one was better I think.
Hmm city of brass was pretty good. Wasn't there more of that setting? Oh look, book 2 kingdom of copper is on sale. Convenient, and a meaty 645 pages. That'll take a bit to chew through.

free hubcaps

if you've never read To Say Nothing of the Dog by connie willis it is a really awesome summer read and kind of a genre bender

ty Saoshyant!

take the moon

by sebmojo
on the indie front haunted girlfriend by james nullick is good lol

----------------

Bright Bart

The Last Wish is not bad bedtime reading at all.

Foltest is a much more reasonable character than in the television series. And I am just upset that we don't get to see a more well rounded version of Radovid given the time the novels and stories take place.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 20, 2020

Harold Fjord

free hubcaps posted:

if you've never read To Say Nothing of the Dog by connie willis it is a really awesome summer read and kind of a genre bender

It's genuinely funny in a way I think a lot of books struggle with

free hubcaps

Harold Fjord posted:

It's genuinely funny in a way I think a lot of books struggle with

absolutely. the early bit (first chapter spoilers) where ned is experiencing timelag and the symptoms are exhibited through the first person narration is probably one of my favorite little bits of writing but there are so many throughout the book

beer pal

100 yrs of solitude was good as hell, and then i read a tolstoy novela called the death of ivan ilyich which was also good and next im reading to the lighthouse by virgina woolf wwhich i dont know anything about but im a big fan of lighthouses

nut

I read a robert aickman short story called the unsettled dust and it was aright but leaves you kind of disappointed but it sounds like that’s a common reaction to his work

Bright Bart

beer pal posted:

100 yrs of solitude was good

I got through Love in the Time of Cholera a few years back.

It got... gross. Haven't read Lolita but I can see how a book could be disturbing even if it has strong aesthetic qualities.

take the moon

by sebmojo

beer pal posted:

100 yrs of solitude was good as hell, and then i read a tolstoy novela called the death of ivan ilyich which was also good and next im reading to the lighthouse by virgina woolf wwhich i dont know anything about but im a big fan of lighthouses

read da woolf lol

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
Here's a throwback:

Tiny hosed up Woolf

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

Dude.... Your reading so many good books

cda

by Hand Knit

Bright Bart posted:

I got through Love in the Time of Cholera a few years back.

It got... gross. Haven't read Lolita but I can see how a book could be disturbing even if it has strong aesthetic qualities.

The thing about Lolita is it's also extremely funny so it's a whole :stonklol: thing

beer pal

cda posted:

Dude.... Your reading so many good books

i know right im on a good run

take the moon

by sebmojo

take the moon posted:

taking another stab at blood meridian

this didnt work. it never works.....

im doing the man in the high castle again. the scene where tagomi just totally breaks down chilton is good af

made me 'noided some of my frens are doing the same to me but that would be p convoluted

----------------

beer pal

drat! virginai woolf is good as hell! what a beautiful novel

Finger Prince

So I posted some stream of consciousness about picking up the Kingdom of Copper by S. A. Chakraborty earlier itt. Well it's really really good, better than the first book the City of Brass. The characters, largely the same, are much more nuanced. The author does a great job giving depths of character flaws to all of them, making them simultaneously identifiable and repellant. Only problem with it is every chapter seems full of intruige or simmering, sometimes explosive action that if i read it to try falling asleep, instead I get all keyed up and can't.

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

drat! virginai woolf is good as hell!

ya

----------------

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo
hello friends sorry I didn't read the whole thread :( I don't know if anyone mentioned it but Normal People by Sally Rooney is extremely good and I cried

take the moon

by sebmojo

beer pal posted:

drat! virginai woolf is good as hell! what a beautiful novel

----------------

grandma why

terrible
reading is good for my shriveled inattentive brains

i read between the assassinations by aravind adiga, a cool lil collection of pov stories from a fictional city in india. about class and religion and privilege and poverty and sadness and

now im reading darkness at noon by arthur koestler cus i want to be sad apparently

grandma why

terrible

cda posted:

Tiny hosed up Woolf

take the moon

by sebmojo
im almost done blleding edge and also for light fare snow crash again

bleeding edge could be better I kind of feel this way bout every pynchon

3D Megadoodoo

I've been reading the Finnish edition of Stephen Pile's The Book of Heroic Failures in bed and it's really weird because the translator/editor has added in anecdotes about his drinking buddies, mainly from the Finnish theatre scene back when it was published. Most of them are not about failures and IDK what why did this happen :psyduck:

e: they're not even amusing anecdotes

Anyway I should probably go on with reading fiction but it's been too hot for fiction.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've been reading the Finnish edition of Stephen Pile's The Book of Heroic Failures in bed

For a moment there, I thought the "in bed" bit was part of the book's title and felt that was super mean.