Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

She does rule!

I'm reading The Fall of Hyperion because I read the first one a while back and how come no one turned me on to Dan Simmons before I was 33?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

free hubcaps posted:

yea hyperion is one of my favorite books but Simmons is an irl shitbag

Wait really? I heard that about Piers Anthony but not Simmons

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

beer pal posted:

u ever just stop & think sometimes like drat... hteres so many books

and the thought usually ends with something like 'and I must read them all'.

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

I started reading more nonfiction over the last few weeks, so here's what I've got on tap:

- Empires of the Sky by Alexander Rose
- The House of Beaufort by Nathen Amin
- The Anarchy by William Dalrymple

Fiction-wise I've got:

- Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree by Tariq Ali
- The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

I'm reading a collection of MR James ghost stories because it's spooky season

they're very good and spooky

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

I finished The Master's Apprentice by Oliver Potsch, which is a retelling of the Faust story. It was outstanding and I'm about to start the second book (The Devil's Pawn) tonight.

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

Jinh posted:

reading "I, Strahd" about the origin of the famous DnD vampire

any good horror people wanna recommend?

M.R. James's collection of ghost stories is ancient but it's extremely, extremely good.

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm just glad I was an Earthsea kid and not a dang Harry Potter kid. Only read LHoD for University - probably would've liked it as a kid too but for reasons I never got around to much sciffy.

I was a Wheel of Time kid, most of my sci-fi was stuff I could swipe from my school library like Dune or Asimov, stuff they’d let me keep since no one else would ever read it.

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why didn't you just borrow them?

I did, they just told me to keep them when I went to turn them back in. They’d do that every so often throughout the year, just let us English nerds keep some books to make room for new ones. Some godawful crap but some pretty good stuff like the Once and Future King, I still don’t know why they wanted to get rid of that, it owns.

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

Started on the Reality Dysfunction which is the first book of the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton and I have no idea what's happening at all, it's nuts. I've heard the trilogy's a good read, so I'm gonna stick with it and see if the pacing evens out since I think I'm still at the 'holy crap, the scope here is insane and he's not letting anything breathe' stage.

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

It was published in November last year and says it has a lot of the latest research. It's also very wordy and I haven't gotten too far, but the pictures are nice. Here's a review: https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-c...s-evans-3930845

This was a birthday present to myself back in March, I think it’s next up on my list after Antony and Cleopatra by Adrian Goldsworthy.

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

I started reading Blood Music by Greg Bear last night and I didn’t realize that I’d gotten halfway through it until my girlfriend mentioned how she had to get up early this morning and could I kindly put away my kindle.

It’s pretty good so far, I think I’ll finish it up tonight and recommend it to her since she’s the scientist and I think it’d be right up her alley.

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

biosterous posted:

catching up on the books i've been reading the Battletech novels in in-universe chronology (list here) and they vary wildly in quality, which is what you'd expect for tabletop wargame tie-in novels

Blood Legacy by Stackpole got me into reading Battletech stuff as a kid, A Silence In The Heavens by Delrio was the only book about giant robots I couldn’t finish.

Battletech fiction is a world of contrasts

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

Blood Legacy and the Warrior Trilogy by Michael Stackpole were the ones I remember being pretty good.

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

caspergers posted:

i wish i could read this fast :smith:

It’s a combo of adhd and an English degree, if I’m invested in something I’m reading I’ll stay up all night to finish it, but the downside is I’m always reading half a dozen things at the same time about god knows what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

it took me forever to figure it out too, but it makes sense

I'd live in a library if I could tbh