Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

hey yobbos what books u been reading.

i just finished a short story collection by james tiptree / alice sheldon which i think soembody on byob reccommended like several years ago

I've definitely recommended her. I love her stories. Besides the one you mentioned, "Houston, Houston, Do You Read?" and "The Screwfly Solution" are my faves. I love how unapologetically feminist they are.

I'm reading the Bottle Factory Outing by Beryl Bainbridge and I'm really enjoying it but it's not over yet so I will have to see. I read House of Leaves and did not like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit

nut posted:

the Navidson Record owns but the rest of house of leaves wasn’t as fun to read.

I recently read our man in Havana and just didn’t like it like I thought I would. I started the Erstwhile, the second book in the Vorrh trilogy and it owns but I got a cheap tablet and I’ve been reading jojo’s bizarre adventure instead

Yeah exactly. If the Johnny Truant stuff would have been cut out I would have enjoyed it ok but that plus no believable female characters (and almost all the women are part of the Truant narrative) left me grumpy.

Dang, sorry about Our Man in Havana. I love that book. What hit you wrong about it?

cda

by Hand Knit
Stephenson is another writer who I think fundamentally can't write women. Imo his books are Dude Books so even though I find them entertaining and interesting I can never quite recommend them.

cda

by Hand Knit

take the moon posted:

k here is what I read lately

dance, dance, dance by murakami
flow my tears the policeman said and the 3 stigmata of palmer eldritch by pkd
dead set by Richard kadrey
attempted portrait of the artist but stopped when that priest wouldn't shut up about hellfire
naked lunch
lush life by Richard price
agony of the sun by smh

a bunch of those were rereads. rn reading the thief by fuminori nakamura.

I read Lush Life years ago but it has stuck with me.

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

im reading a confederacy of dunces and this ignateus guy sseems like a real schmuck!

That's the funniest book ever written, good job

cda

by Hand Knit

Prurient Squid posted:

I just finished the Phenomenology of Spirit by Hegel. Now I'm going to read the J N Findlay analysis bit at the back and then I'm going to reread the forword by the translator. I haven't really understood it much.

Hegel makes me very grumpy. Can't stand the guy

cda

by Hand Knit
I'm reading Ice bc Beer Pal recommended it

cda

by Hand Knit

Doctor Dogballs posted:

im now reading great expectations

Prepare to be disappointed

cda

by Hand Knit

Doctor Dogballs posted:

im now reading great expectations

ust had the thought that perhaps you are reading "great expectations" by kathy acker instead of "great expectations" by charles dickens, if so your supposed to drop acid first

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cda

by Hand Knit

i flunked out posted:

I also just finished The Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.

Mixed feelings about this but it takes place roughly where I spent my teenage years and the game store that he talks about was a real place in an actual mall and I used to buy my Magic Cards there and stuff. What did you think of it?

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
That's very close to my feelings about the book. FWIW I read it way the hell before the Me Too stuff and the misogyny was really frustrating to me for the reasons you mention, and if you read more of his stuff you will see that it's all very similar in that regard to the point that it feels like each book is just a new failed attempt to see women as people and to escape the machismo. Like, he's self-aware enough to know there's a problem, but the problem is so central to his identity that he just can't get rid of it, and he's a real entertaining writer but he's not good enough to pull that off (unlike Saul Bellow or V.S. Naipaul).

cda

by Hand Knit

nut posted:

I started up Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides today and it is good so far

I prefer high sex

cda

by Hand Knit
Should've called it the Crying of Lot 69

cda

by Hand Knit

nut posted:

how about the trying of pot 420

:master:

cda

by Hand Knit
The Trying of Pot 420
V (pronounced "Weed")
Gravity's Bong
Kindland

cda

by Hand Knit
Here's what I did with Finnegan's Wake, and it worked great. I got a bottle of whiskey and then drank and read it out loud. Took me about five bottles to get through it (not all in one sitting obviously). Anyways, it was really fun. The sweet spot was somewhere between tipsy and drunk.

The thing is it's almost impossible to read or loud without making mistakes but when you're drinking whiskey you have an excuse.

cda

by Hand Knit
reading jr by william gaddis and oh boy is it good

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Bright Bart posted:

So I picked up a ludicrous bestseller by this guy at a nice pop-up library and got at it on a few breaks.

It was nearly unreadable :smuggo:

Dozens of pages of just "Commander you are not cleared to land that plane in this airfield" being met with "You see the badge on that boy, sergeant?! That is given out to elite special secret operations operators. You do what this man says and then lie to the President about it! That's an order!"

:(

e: Are the Tom Clancy novels this bad? I am here for a while longer and have limited material.

lol his real name is William Edward Butterworth III

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
William Edward Butttheshitmanfart III

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Bright Bart posted:

So I picked up a ludicrous bestseller by this guy at a nice pop-up library and got at it on a few breaks.

It was nearly unreadable :smuggo:

Dozens of pages of just "Commander you are not cleared to land that plane in this airfield" being met with "You see the badge on that boy, sergeant?! That is given out to elite special secret operations operators. You do what this man says and then lie to the President about it! That's an order!"

:(

e: Are the Tom Clancy novels this bad? I am here for a while longer and have limited material.

go for clive cussler if you can. dirk pitt novels often reach so-ludicrous-theyre-kind-of-good

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
Here's a throwback:

Tiny hosed up Woolf

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

100 yrs of solitude was good as hell, and then i read a tolstoy novela called the death of ivan ilyich which was also good and next im reading to the lighthouse by virgina woolf wwhich i dont know anything about but im a big fan of lighthouses

Dude.... Your reading so many good books

cda

by Hand Knit

Bright Bart posted:

I got through Love in the Time of Cholera a few years back.

It got... gross. Haven't read Lolita but I can see how a book could be disturbing even if it has strong aesthetic qualities.

The thing about Lolita is it's also extremely funny so it's a whole :stonklol: thing

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

drat! virginai woolf is good as hell!

ya

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

xcheopis posted:

For a moment there, I thought the "in bed" bit was part of the book's title and felt that was super mean.

lol

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've never read Clancy but I have a soft spot for Robert Ludlum for some reason. And Dick Francis because he always puts horses in the story in one way or another.

Thats' his thing. Dick Francis is the Horse Guy. I know this fromb ack when I worked a library, you see a horse on the cover, its probably dick francis

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

RickRogers posted:

I've been reading the Hobbit to my children and doing all the voices.

Cool, my dad doing that for me is hands down one of my favorite childhood memories

cda

by Hand Knit

oliwan posted:

I've never really read much science fiction except for authors like Margaret Atwood and a little Philip K Dick. However I just finished The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin and now my mind is absolutely blown that she wasn't in my life before age 30 loving 6

Oh wow... Read The Left Hand of Darkness immediately

cda

by Hand Knit
its got a lot of weird sex in it

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Left Hand of Darkness is easily in my top-3 space novels. But then I've read like five so

I've read hundreds and it's still in my top 3

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

im reading catch 22 and not enjoying it all that much

it's not very good and it goes on and on and on long after you get the point

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

xcheopis posted:

I've tried reading it a few times and just didn't care about any of it. Same for Confederacy of Dunces; boring waste of my time.

cda

by Hand Knit

It's ok, people are different and humour is highly subjective it's just weird because you're a good poster and I enjoy your posts so it's weird to see you say that about the book that I think is the funniest book that has ever been written by a wide margin

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

i stopped reading catch 22 for now and instead im reading if on a winter's night a traveler by italo calvino which so far im finding very fun and good

Yeah that's a good one

cda

by Hand Knit

3D Megadoodoo posted:

magic cum crime

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

ulvir posted:

gonna take a dive into the Cambridge introduction to literature and the environment

new national curriculum has introduced a few overarching topics that is to be included in every subject, amongst them sustainable development, so might as well get a better understanding of ecocriticism/-poetics before next school year

ecocriticism is wild, pun not intended, but seriously there are some extermely interesting and out there people writing in that field. do they got donna haraway in there?

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
james. Timothy. same thing.

oh I see it's not an anthology, anyway, that's pretty cool. ecocriticism is hot rn for obvious reasons (the planet is also hot)

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

MockingQuantum posted:

I was reading some horror novels but they're a bit much for me at the moment, so instead I read Man in the High Castle and now I'm reading some Flannery O'Connor short stories

Getting a little chuckle at the idea of retreating from horror to the lighthearted, life-affirming stories of Franz Kafka and Flannery O'Connor

cda

by Hand Knit

Stuntman posted:

just started this, idk how good/accurate it is going to be but my local bookstore had it and amazon has decent reviews for it

It's interesting that he's a cultural historian. Cultural history can be real real good (Raymond Williams) or real real bad depending on the degree to which the author sees culture as self-creating rather than contingent on "non cultural" factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit

Badactura posted:

I just finished the cheese and the worm, it's a lil history book about this guy named menocchio who loved in Italy in the 1500s. He read books and bothered everyone in his village about what they thought about God and reality and the church and eventually the church killed him for saying stuff like how the church was making up Bible stories. It was really good and I felt sad for mennochio even though they didn't kill him the first time he got in trouble instead they made him stay in his village and wear a shirt that said "ask me about my heresy"

my "ask me about my heresy" shirt has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my shirt

----------------