Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

I finished Monstrous Regiment last week, one of the few Terry Pratchett Discworld novels I hadn't read yet. I wasn't ready for it. I expected a humorous take on an army with trolls and vampires in its numbers. And I got that too, but I also got a rather dark but full of hope novel that will stay with me for a long while.

If you haven't read this one (or anything else by Pratchett) please PLEASE do so. It's short enough that you will get through it at most in a week.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

magic cactus posted:

Pale Fire owns

What's it about?

Saoshyant

Doctorow as an activist is great. As a writer, I tried some of his novels more than a decade ago and wasn't impressed. He may have improved since, though?

Saoshyant

caspergers posted:

wait are we talking corey doctorow or e.l.? i have this book billy bathgate and whether i read it depends on the answer

I believe we were talking about Cory. I haven't read Billy Bathgate but, looking it up, it won a bunch of awards so it's probably a good read.

Saoshyant

caspergers posted:

I listened to the audiobook and recommend. The idiolect the narrator gives to Ignatius is so funny and perfect.

I just looked this up and there's more than one version. One narrated by Barrett Whitener in 2006 and a more recent one by Reginald D. Hunter. Which one did you get?

Saoshyant

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Dutch humour

404 Not Found

Saoshyant

rear end-penny posted:

I'm like halfway through Guards Guards already dang Pratchett books read pretty fast

That's because of how great they are :hai:

Saoshyant

Finger Prince posted:

I don't think I've ever had a dessert made from peas.

You aren't living the best version of your life if you are not feasting on some Pea Cake once in a while!

Saoshyant

Or maybe you are. Might not be for everyone's taste.

Speaking of books, I've never read anything by Dostoevsky and someone recommended me "The Idiot". I'm going to assume that person meant no particular subcontext with that one, but either way, this is huge at 600+ pages! Worth it for someone's first Dostoevsky story? Or maybe something else?

Saoshyant

I wasn't even aware there were Battletech novels. What's the top 2 or 3? I may check it out, always loved giant robots, but don't know squat about Battletech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

rear end-penny posted:

three of my favorite stand up comedians published books this month, really need to get my rear end to a bookstore.

Who are they?