Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut

the Navidson Record owns but the rest of house of leaves wasn’t as fun to read.

I recently read our man in Havana and just didn’t like it like I thought I would. I started the Erstwhile, the second book in the Vorrh trilogy and it owns but I got a cheap tablet and I’ve been reading jojo’s bizarre adventure instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

cda posted:

Dang, sorry about Our Man in Havana. I love that book. What hit you wrong about it?

think I was looking for something fantastical when I was picking a new book, couldn’t find anything, and assumed our man would be a safe like no matter what but my mood just wasn’t right. I feel bad for not liking it because it is funny

nut

I got hooked on the cspam thread and read Chaos by Tom O’Neill which outlines all the wild inconsistencies and errors in the official Charles Manson story it was very good and fun

nut

im reading another political cover-up book whydid we ever visit cspam

nut

cda posted:

Prepare to be disappointed

I’m reading this mediocre expectation

nut

Finished another conspiracy cover-up book from the thread in cspam but i think they wore me out so i got north american lake monsters to read next based on seemingly unanimous positive reviews fromt he general horror fiction thred in tbb

nut

I’ve been posting in tbb about what I’ve been reading recently but I remembered this thread and thought to share!

I was trying to go on a Canadian fiction year and read The Little Girl Who was Too Fond of Matches by Gaetan Soucy (eng translation) which was very dark but also incredible in its narration style (doubly amazing because it’s translated) and then I read Nikolski by Nicolas Dickner (eng translation), which was very sweet and relaxing but left me wanting to read something meatier.

nut

beer pal posted:

u canadian nut me too. i think the only canadian novel ive read is station eleven which i didnt like all that much.

ya! I’m not super wild about a lot of canlit I’ve read but outside of the two above I’d rec Miriam Toews, maybe specifically a complicated kindness, and oh come thou tortoise (which I liked even more) by I can’t remember her name

nut

I started up Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides today and it is good so far

nut

high sex I’m dad

nut

nut posted:

canlit I don’t see suggested enough is Stephen Leacock I guess mostly because he was very goofy but his writing is intensely byob and good and so much funnier than any book that’s won the award named after him gently caress you terry fallis if you’re reading this sorry

If you get a chance (it’s small and on project Gutenberg) read Nonsense Novels and tell me you wouldn’t have 5’d that thread

nut fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 2, 2020

nut

wow I messed up that post something fierce

nut

started mr. Palomar after sitting on it for seemingly forever. it’s very funny and acts as a way more accessible and practical explanation of philosophical ideas I wasted too much time trying to understand from Wikipedia articles

nut

beer pal posted:

im reading crying of lot 49 which ive heard is either his best or worst novel. an alternative position ive hard is that its somewhere in the middle.

I dragged myself through it but just never got into it. I have so many friends that adore it that I feel like I should try again

nut

how about the trying of pot 420

nut

beer pal posted:

i didnt like lot 49 that much (i liked v a lot better) now im reading 100 yeras of solitude and its pretty charmign so far

i love 100 years so much, changed my entire taste

nut

beer pal posted:

the author did a very rude prank on me where he named all the characters the same name

r u reading physical or ebook? i found physical esp good for 100 years because there's a family tree in the start w all the namers

nut

it does u so good

nut

I finished Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides recently and am waiting for books in the mail but they will probably take a week. I’m filling the time with a biography of the guy behind MK ULTRA and the ARPA background of the internet and am now realizing I gotta find some fiction to supplement before I go insane

nut

I read a robert aickman short story called the unsettled dust and it was aright but leaves you kind of disappointed but it sounds like that’s a common reaction to his work

nut

beer pal posted:

im reading catch 22 and not enjoying it all that much

read it when I was like 12 and thought it was awesome but I also loved MASH and I don’t think I could enjoy either nowadays

nut

confederacy of dunces was my favourite book for a very long time but I could completely understand someone finding it tedious and, although it is wildly funny to me, it is not a broad appeal funny by any means

nut

cda posted:

Yeah that's a good one

oh hell ya

nut

I’ve been reading Poisoner in Chief which is definitively not byob but I’m in too deep

nut

think they're referring to android blues posts in the genitals thread just now

nut

beer pal posted:

hell ya. u read any other calvino? probably gonna pick up invisible cities before too long

i've tried mr palomar but i kinda burned out on it after a couple chapters because iget it i get italo

nut

my nonfiction streak has continued with yasha levine's surveillance valley and today i just started the end of policing after finally getting a physical copy

nut

beer pal posted:

im having a great time reading dracula

when I read Dracula I was like let’s get this lame gothic poo poo over with and two years later I had read it like three times because it owns

nut

I tried to start the second portion of Savage Detectives by Robert Bolano today but I just found myself hating how the book is gonna be told for the next huge hunk. I think I’m just too dumb and wholly unfamiliar with poetry, let alone poets in Latin America specifically, so I’m abandoning it. I actually was getting heated at how inaccessible it felt to me.

nut

magic cactus posted:

I really enjoyed 2666 even though it was unfinished

ya i only picked up savage detectives because of how highly people speak of him but I just can't with savage detectives

Musluk posted:

That was me with Borges - I was just reading two lines and getting angry at labyrinths.

Thanks, this made me feel a lot better and gives me the chance 2 move on to the next book :sun:

nut

I started the Selected Works of T.S. Spivet today and outside of the kid talking like a dickhead its very cool and fun

nut

I finished the Selected Works of T.S. Spivet and it was pretty cute though i'd say some of the last chapters leave a decent amount to be desired and it definitely functions better for the ride than the destination. Gonna tuck in2 the Nocilla Trilogy

nut

I finished the first book in the nocilla trilogy, Nocilla Dream, which was surreal and incredible and fun in a very different way from most fiction I like.

I also finished the Jarkarta Method today which is very unbyob nonfic but really well explained history that is ultimately pretty depressing.

nut

I, too, don't absorb nearly anything from audiobooks. I tried Master and the Margarita on audiobook like 4 times before I just got a copy and destroyed the thintg

nut

ya and when I read a lot of times I read sentences a couple times because my brain can’t comprehend well and that’s frustrating when you miss something in audio

nut

i haven't come closer to ever finishing don quixote but it owns and I dunno anything about Infinite Jest, but I reflexively am offended by the comparison

nut

after I finished true detective season one I got a ligotti collection and I really liked one of three stories I have read so far but I hear his best stuff is grimscribe and that’s the back half of the book

nut

I have begun reading Moby Dick, the novel

nut

cda posted:

hell yeah, it is the best

it is not only awesome, but infinitely more readable than I was led to believe. I can see how people would find it long and annoying, but if you love people that infinitely ruminating about everything, it is so funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

feel like I read that way mostly where it’s unintended