Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barclayed

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
lame but after watching the LOTR trilogy with my friends i’m finally getting around to reading the books. they’re quite good and they add a lot to the story that i didn’t pick up from the movies, especially with the timeline. Gandalf was gone for like 17 years!

"What I wouldn't give to return to those halcyon days."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed

i still heavily enjoy YA books (mostly John Green) and after starting Will Grayson, Will Grayson (a book he co-wrote with David Levithan) i wanted to check out Levithan's other works. just finished Every Day, a book about a person, referred to only as 'A', who wakes up every day in a new body. he tries to leave these people's lives as undisturbed as he can. and he's good at it. until he falls in love with a person he meets.

there is a paragraph that i resonate very deeply with, which is penned when he wakes up in the body of a transgender person.

"It is an awful thing to be betrayed by your body. And it's lonely, because you feel you can't talk about it. You feel it's something between you and the body. You feel it's a battle you will never win... and yet you fight it day after day, and it wears you down. Even if you try to ignore it, the energy it takes to ignore it will exhaust you."

anyways, good book. i still have to finish Will Grayson, Will Grayson and Let it Snow.

barclayed

How Wonderful! posted:

I finally finished the John Darnielle book from last year and I think it's his best prose thing easy. Really moving and harrowing and the twist at the end could have been deeply stupid but really hit me pretty hard in a way I was satisfied with.

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize John Darnielle wrote books. Got into The Mountain Goats a couple months ago from John Green; will definitely check them out.