Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Phigs posted:

Was this with or without badges? (just asking for when I try for it myself)

I guess it's possible to get a plat with no stones or medals on that stage, but I used I think 4 stones when I got my gold and I was proud of that.

Oenis posted:

Most towers I beat with the help of tutorials, but I dunno, that didn't feel very satisfying. How do I get good on my own at this game without following step by step guides? I never know if I should focus on attack, defense, or go with both. How do I best spend my metacurrency? I know that you should aim to pick up feathers as early as possible. There's always a ton of variables to tweak and this seems like a puzzle with a million pieces so I never know where and how to start.

I watched tutorial videos, sometimes a couple times, but I didn't play along. Then I went and tried the stage after doing my best to do what the video did, but since stages are long enough you aren't going to remember nearly everything, you'll have to start figuring it out for yourself as well. It helped me anyway. Also making some notes can help, even if it's just counting how many keys/mattocks you'll need so you know how many to take on level up and can do it earlier when levels give fewer stats.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Phigs posted:

Was this with or without badges? (just asking for when I try for it myself)

FWIW tactical trip mini is one of the towers you can get a platinum on without any medals or sunstones; for myself, personally, I got the platinum with around 20 sunstones.

Oenis posted:

Most towers I beat with the help of tutorials, but I dunno, that didn't feel very satisfying. How do I get good on my own at this game without following step by step guides? I never know if I should focus on attack, defense, or go with both. How do I best spend my metacurrency? I know that you should aim to pick up feathers as early as possible. There's always a ton of variables to tweak and this seems like a puzzle with a million pieces so I never know where and how to start.

This is a pretty difficult question to answer, mostly because it changes almost constantly. In general, especially early on, it's worth raising your attack because you save a lot of health going from 10 turns to kill to 2 turns; on the other hand, a lot of towers its smart to start picking defense near the end because it takes a lot of attack to take no damage from enemies, and comparably a lot less defense.

For spending metacurrency you probably want to continue just using sunstones, so that you can get more sunstones. It's usually pretty safe to dump them all in attack, for the reasons outlined above. Though for some towers (and once you get enough sunstones) it might be more beneficial to go defense.

Lastly, for feathers and hearts, well, it depends? No, seriously, towers tend to have different values for hearts and feathers that makes one more optimal than the other; in Tactical trip mini, for example, feathers literally double your exp mod and are the better choice by far.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Cool, the most fun I've had in this game so far was bashing my head against Tower K until I got a zero medal/stones silver. So knowing what's possible with zero medals/stones on other stages is something I'm interested in. Plat sounds insane, though it's such a small stage I could see throwing myself at the goal over and over now that I know it's possible.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Oenis posted:

I bought this game when it first launched, but didn't get all that far:

If you haven't seen it yet I'd check out Wanton Spoon's guide that aims to answer just this, it was written a while back but still holds up pretty well as a primer I'd say.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I would also recommend checking out the Discord. I’ve found it mostly inscrutable to be a fly on the wall for most of the time, but the active members are quick to help and there’s a whole bunch of memo files available there. There’s one there by Wanton Spoon for Tactical Mini that’s designed for new players and guides you around explaining why you’d want to pick up ATK at a lvl instead of HP, and when to switch things up. It will hold your hand but it will also illustrate what kinds of things to look for. Once you follow the guide to a T without using Sunstones you can go back through it with some extra DEF and see if you can pick out small optimizations.

I’m garbage at the game but I’m getting better. It’s fun to pick at.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arzaac posted:

Lastly, for feathers and hearts, well, it depends? No, seriously, towers tend to have different values for hearts and feathers that makes one more optimal than the other; in Tactical trip mini, for example, feathers literally double your exp mod and are the better choice by far.

Just got my first gold there and this wound up being pretty key. (I didn't bother killing the boss to the right of the clear tile until the very very end--it only guards an HP multiplier but it's so hard that I couldn't kill it without collecting most of the HP potions on the level anyhow, but it's worth a shitload of XP and having the multiplier from the big boss put me over the top.)

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I was trying to follow the conversation in the discord for awhile and finally concluded they talk in wizard speak, the language of mages. But if you ask them a question in english they will respond in kind.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

They've transcended, they're on a different plane from us mere mortals.

I'm still not sure why they talk about clowns all the time. :v:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Phigs posted:

Cool, the most fun I've had in this game so far was bashing my head against Tower K until I got a zero medal/stones silver. So knowing what's possible with zero medals/stones on other stages is something I'm interested in. Plat sounds insane, though it's such a small stage I could see throwing myself at the goal over and over now that I know it's possible.

K with zero resources was actually an early achievement by an early SA player that got everyone excited. Kefit, if I remember correctly.

For that G screenshot, it’s a dig tile, but the other half of the story is that Tactical Nexus is being cute (as they often are) and using a dig tile in a tower without much digging as a fancy lock and key. You’ll have to go elsewhere to progress in the tower. And G is famous for crushing players at the last second, so don’t feel too bad if it goes poorly.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Can someone help out with Mystery? I'm stuck as to what do with it

LAWatson
Jul 10, 2022
You should be able to get the highest Sunstone count (+3) from Mystery by making your first major goal to accrue 32000% EXP modifier as well as the level-up equipment (Azure of the End and Prism Shield) before killing a single enemy. Most of the movement-based Orbs spent in the tower will be spent towards that effect. Some additional hints for accomplishing that below.

Badges and Eternal Potions: Suck up as few of the badges as possible, and don't bother using Orbs to circumvent them. Because of the Agent's damage, you aren't really able to skip any of the Eternal Potions, so just take as much HP as you reasonably can into those.

Lake Crossing: You will cross it 3 times in the run, using Swap orbs. Making a bridge to the other side with Paves or the Blizzard Orb is tempting, but ultimately too expensive.

4F: 7 Pave Orbs are used in this room. Every enemy on the screen is swapped out of the way at some point for one reason or another.

Blizzard Orb: Use it on 1F. Traversal in this floor is extremely costly otherwise.

I followed these guide points in my +3 Sunstone run, so I can verify that they work. I hope this helps.

LAWatson fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 17, 2022

LAWatson
Jul 10, 2022
Team-Nexus is back at it again with another new tower, called Tactical Beach! It's been hyped up for what feels like months now as the most interesting and fun tower they have designed, and from the information they've been dripfeeding on Twitter over the past few weeks, it definitely seems that way. Among the new mechanics introduced are Max HP, currency and item shopping (including NPCs, which is a first), and an actual inventory system, as well as apparently a handful of other lategame features that haven't been formally introduced yet. For those out of the loop, this tower is accessible to anyone with the full game, as it's supposed to be listed under Chapter EX-2, which would normally be a (free) DLC chapter. We're getting it early since there's been a content drought for a while. There are many new concepts which this tower introduces that sound very interesting. I'll definitely have my hands full for a while playing it. Happy Nexusing.

https://twitter.com/TeamNexus12/status/1548735724802830337

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Tetris Effect: 1 hour
Slay The Spire: 3 hours
Tactical Nexus: 100 hours
Overcooked: 2 hours

Someone help me my steam backlog is dying.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i've been playing tactical nexus for days and what the gently caress is this

what's a map where a small number of medals/sunstones make a huge difference? i'm familiar with the first 3 maps, but haven't beat any of the others yet.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 25, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

what's a map where a small number of medals/sunstones make a huge difference? i'm familiar with the first 3 maps, but haven't beat any of the others yet.

Note that the maps are not arranged in order of difficulty, don't be afraid to tackle some of the others "out of order."

In particular, do the mini one if you haven't already done it, it's very short and easy to iterate on, and also easy in general. You can potentially optimize your way up to a gold medal even without any medals/sunstones, and it's good practice for other maps in general.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Mescal posted:

Tactical Nexus owns, it's like outsider art.

On another note, it's generally never worth spending medals unless doing so gives you access to the Nexus Stage, which is a bonus set of levels most towers have that can only be accessed by spending medals. After all, sunstones are good, and you only get sunstones by refraining from using medals. So you might as well ignore medals at first. (Don't ignore the Nexus, though: once in awhile there are things to be done there even without spending medals.)

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

Mescal posted:

Seeing this thread pop back up is givin me the shakes to get back to progressing. Definitely mess with mini, it's a fun afternoon project.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Is there any other kind of grouping of games in this vein out there? I know there have been one or two others on Steam since this debuted, like Soulestination (which tries to handle things like a full RPG campaign with story branches, and is also only $3), or The Demon Crystal (which is like a Magic Tower + Druaga vibe, leaning more the latter). None of these have a convenient tag or anything bringing them together.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i forgot there was a tacnex thread. anyway more people should play this because it's completely devoured my life.

Mescal posted:

as other people have said, Mini is a great starting point. tutorial 1, NEW, and K are also pretty simple to tackle; K is one of my favorite towers and the main part is really short so it's simple to iterate runs on.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

also hitofude dojo is the only tower of its type (so far (fingers crossed that they never ever do it again)) so don't feel bad about saving it for later or just flat out using a guide.

oh also don't forget about tactical beach; it's much lower on the list because it's an "ex" tower, but it doesn't scale with sunstones at all so you can tackle it anytime and while it can be extremely daunting at first, it can really teach you a ton about the game in general and is a fantastic source for early stones.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

why are they called continental

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal posted:

why are they called continental

I think it's an odd and old-sounding use sic: continental potion that scales according to your character's level, or as it could be known, constitution.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i have currently spent 10 hours in the demo. playing this game feels like closest i will ever get to feeling like the time cube guy.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's maddeningly complex and makes my brain feel like it's falling apart. i love it 10/10

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I recently got back into this because somebody carelessly mentioned it the RPG thread, which means I'm gonna lose another 100 hours of my life to it.

I'm still not very far, honestly; I've done all of chapters 1+2 except for Pop Tactical Lord, and I've got 3 platinums (+ a solid number of golds and silvers). Probably gonna work on upgrading my lower tier medals a bit, get a handful more sunstones, and maybe finally beat Pop Tactical Lord? Maybe I can start tackling chapters 3, 4, and 5, which I bought and then promptly never played. :v:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

definitely don’t feel like you have to do them in order; several of the chapter 3 and 4 are approachable at low suns. also don’t forget about the free towers way at the bottom of the list, especially beach, which is completely doable at zero medals or suns and can be very rewarding

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Tactical Lord 0 is the best tower for new players trying to fill out their sunstones. A platinum medal pure run is fairly easy without any sunstone investment or serious planning, and as soon as you can afford the nexus entry there's a route that can earn 60+ sunstones (although the steps needed are fairly convoluted). Just take a visit to Tactical Tutorial 3 first to get a somewhat more gentle introduction to the weapon/accessory system

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Tactical Tutorial 3 is not a gentle introduction to anything, gently caress that tower lmao

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

An Actual Princess posted:

definitely don’t feel like you have to do them in order; several of the chapter 3 and 4 are approachable at low suns. also don’t forget about the free towers way at the bottom of the list, especially beach, which is completely doable at zero medals or suns and can be very rewarding

I mean I know you're right, but it's way more comfy revisiting an old tower and trying to optimize it than starting up a brand new tower. :v:

I'll give beach a shot after I upgrade my bronze medal in W, I promise.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I keep banging my head against tactical tower D and its driving me crazy. I was able to silver medal everything else in the demo first go but something about this tower is just not clicking with me. The difficulty puts it at 1 star and some of those other ones had more!

I bought the full game so I will just take a crack at some different towers and come back to it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I did tactical beach last night and that one is really fun! Love it when a game just throws in a slightly different version of the game in the game.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

That's something I always really liked about Tactical Nexus; a lot of the towers are based around really out-there and experimental ideas. It keeps the game fresh and interesting.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

unfortunately that can go badly. hitofude dojo im looking at you

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I love hitofude dojo and am glad I have the best possible medal there, gold

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snooze Cruise posted:

I keep banging my head against tactical tower D and its driving me crazy. I was able to silver medal everything else in the demo first go but something about this tower is just not clicking with me. The difficulty puts it at 1 star and some of those other ones had more!

I bought the full game so I will just take a crack at some different towers and come back to it.

ok figured it out. focused on using less key level ups this time and it clicked into place though it still ended up feeling pretty tight. on to tactical tower k.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 26, 2023

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I think one of my favorite aspects of this game is the way that looking at other people's runs can be productive in unexpected ways.

For example, I was feekling lost on what to do next and ended up watching this guys no sunstone pure platinum Tactical Tower W run. While I could copy his moves exactly to get a couple more sunstones, what actually happened was that I kept thinking "What would I do differently if I started the run with a bunch of medal power ups but played for the nexus clear?"

Eventually enough "Oh, that was a neat tactic, I'll try that next time." and "I wouldn't be able to spend those two yellows key here, but I could make up for it by opening that red door..." built up to form a rough gameplan. And it worked! I went from a low 30mil plat to just squeaking the diamond clear with 52mil. It's my 2nd diamond, which means I can finally open the Tactical Tutorial nexus stage. It's exciting and it feels so satisfying that I got there through taking in someone else's observations and genuinely building off of them with my own theorization.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Scrree posted:

I think one of my favorite aspects of this game is the way that looking at other people's runs can be productive in unexpected ways.

For example, I was feekling lost on what to do next and ended up watching this guys no sunstone pure platinum Tactical Tower W run. While I could copy his moves exactly to get a couple more sunstones, what actually happened was that I kept thinking "What would I do differently if I started the run with a bunch of medal power ups but played for the nexus clear?"

Eventually enough "Oh, that was a neat tactic, I'll try that next time." and "I wouldn't be able to spend those two yellows key here, but I could make up for it by opening that red door..." built up to form a rough gameplan. And it worked! I went from a low 30mil plat to just squeaking the diamond clear with 52mil. It's my 2nd diamond, which means I can finally open the Tactical Tutorial nexus stage. It's exciting and it feels so satisfying that I got there through taking in someone else's observations and genuinely building off of them with my own theorization.

hell yeah! iterating on other peoples runs is a huge part of the game, the community has been both vital to my progress and fantastic to take part in.

it should be mentioned that even though it’s the first tower, tut 1’s nexus is deceptively super hard. don’t feel bad if you don’t feel like you can crack it.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Scrree posted:

oh my god i never even thought about skipping the floor 15 eternal back into w i go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Does anyone have a Hitufude dojo pure gold, with 10 or less sunstones? I got the pure silver complete, but I'm stuck terribly at about 18.3 million, which is just a little shy of gold's 20 million. I think I'm having trouble with the final levels, despite everyone else saying that the ropes are plentiful. I started the second to last stage with 2.2 million HP, 6k attack and 10k defense, and 45 ropes. It wasn't enough to clear all the monsters, just the ones worth a lot of xp.

By the way, what level are people ending Hitufude dojo at on pure runs? Spent a lot of time re-strategizing, but my runs ended up at level 134 both times! I'm pretty sure I can get the normal gold if I bust out the medals, but the pure gold is so close! My second run, i was so proud of getting both platinum keys for the godan level with 2 platinum doors, but getting the second platinum key basically brought my character to <1000 HP. I though the extra experience boost would make up for the massive loss in HP...but it didn't really.