Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Arzaac posted:

Having done that, I decided to really take a solid look at Pop Tactical Lord and WHAT? What the hell is going on here!? You only get one chance on each floor, but it doesn't really seem like any of them are decent starting floors. I really don't want to dip in and only do about 25% of a floor before retreating, but I'm not really sure what else I can do.

After looking at it for a bit, it seems like floor 5 works pretty well, because it's got a bunch of low damage rangers I can kill. But still, this tower hurts. Is it smart to just abandon pure nexus and use all my medals trying for a basic clear? I'm feeling like that might be necessary...

It's possible to get at least a silver medal in Pop Tactical Lord in a Pure Nexus run, at least with 30+ Sunstones. Also, I feel that Pop Tactical Lord is the kind of tower where if you can't figure out how to finish a Pure Nexus run, you're not going to know what to do with your medals in order to finish a non-Pure Nexus run anyway, but maybe that's just me.

I will say this, though: My advice to everyone is not to attempt Pop Tactical Lord until you've gotten at least a gold medal in all eleven of the prior towers (Pure Nexus or otherwise). This isn't because you need the medals, but because you need the experience. While most towers limit your options so it's easier to stumble your way into the proper solutions, Pop Tactical Lord is incredibly wide open by comparison. I think you'll have a much easier time if you're already experienced in all of the lessons in strategy that the other towers are designed to teach you, so you'll have a better idea which pathways in Pop just aren't going to work.

I might offer some more specific advice for Pop Tactical Lord once more people take a shot at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
G tower diamond (+1)!

G nexus was interesting since going in it felt fairly obvious what was going on, and then I failed. Then it felt fairly obvious what else was going on, then I failed. And eventually something much less obvious occurred and I was able to get the win.

I feel this is the beauty of the game - it's about coming up with a thesis on what's happening and how resources should be allocated, and iterating on it, and figuring out the blind spots in your analysis.

If you're looking for good starting nexuses to run, K isn't that bad (and only needs 3 plat medals). You also can get your K gold by playing the nexus a little, which is probably the easiest way to get K gold.

Tutorial 2 is also a solid candidate, and doesn't need any plats (but 8 medals). Tutorial 2 is also very short, which is nice, and teaches you lessons about how the nexus map and the main map interacts (hit M!)

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

I updated the OP to include a list of resources at the beginning, since newcomers probably won't want to have to dig through several pages of the thread before stumbling across the introductory survival guide I created, for example. If anyone else would like to write up a guide or walkthrough worth linking, or they think anything else in particular should be listed there, let me know.

Heiji posted:

G tower diamond (+1)!

G nexus was interesting since going in it felt fairly obvious what was going on, and then I failed. Then it felt fairly obvious what else was going on, then I failed. And eventually something much less obvious occurred and I was able to get the win.

I feel this is the beauty of the game - it's about coming up with a thesis on what's happening and how resources should be allocated, and iterating on it, and figuring out the blind spots in your analysis.
This kinda describes my recent experiences in getting a pure gold in Tower P. I thought I already had this tower figured out, only to realize that, while my original strategy wasn't exactly wrong, I didn't go nearly far enough with it. Also, I've given advice for this tower in the past that I wouldn't agree with today.

I mentioned in the OP that I just keep making new discoveries as I analyze these towers, and it's still true, another ~100 hours later.

Heiji posted:

If you're looking for good starting nexuses to run, K isn't that bad (and only needs 3 plat medals). You also can get your K gold by playing the nexus a little, which is probably the easiest way to get K gold.

Tutorial 2 is also a solid candidate, and doesn't need any plats (but 8 medals). Tutorial 2 is also very short, which is nice, and teaches you lessons about how the nexus map and the main map interacts (hit M!)
I agree with this.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I did end up doing Tutorial 2 today and got a gold. Definitely agree, that was a very easy nexus stage. If you can get a silver doing pure nexus, getting the gold doesn't even really require any special strategy, just keep doing the stage and you'll hit it. At least that's what my run felt like.

And at least for me, that requirement feels much easier than the nexus stage requirement for K. You can pretty reasonably get those 8 medals just running through the chapter 1 and 2 towers doing pure nexus; seems like to get more platinum I'll need to do some heavy medal runs.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Team Nexus have put up their Tactical Tower D early walkthough here if people are interested - it's much more newbie-focused than the W one.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I’ve gotten bronze or silver in every tower up to W, but I’m finding W super hard. Should I just move on to P or is it time to start going back and actually using these medals instead of doing only pure nexus runs?

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Jester Mcgee posted:

I’ve gotten bronze or silver in every tower up to W, but I’m finding W super hard. Should I just move on to P or is it time to start going back and actually using these medals instead of doing only pure nexus runs?

W is hard! I know it's possible to get a silver pure nexus, but I've never gotten above a bronze. Going back is probably good practice though!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Jester Mcgee posted:

W is pretty hard - I have a pure silver in it, and am currently trying for a 30-sunstone pure gold, but I think there are definitely easier things for you to go for at this point than either W or P. I'd actually recommend that instead of going to medal runs, you try and upgrade some of your previous pure runs. Pure silvers on G, tutorial 2 and the dojo, and pure golds on mini, tutorial 1, NEW and D, should all be pretty doable for you at this point, and that will give you enough sunstones to make pure runs of W and P pretty doable.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Arzaac posted:

And at least for me, that requirement feels much easier than the nexus stage requirement for K. You can pretty reasonably get those 8 medals just running through the chapter 1 and 2 towers doing pure nexus; seems like to get more platinum I'll need to do some heavy medal runs.

Yeah, although the Nexus Stage itself is easy (compared to other Nexus Stages), getting into it is another issue. Usually the easiest way to get a platinum in a tower is just by dipping into the Nexus Stage long enough to boost your score a bit, then return to the last goal point you reached, but obviously you don't really get access to that option for a while (and it doesn't work with every tower, anyway). Probably the best thing to do is return to towers that you feel you already have a pretty good handle on, for example towers where you have a pure gold already, and just work on optimizing that score with medals.

pumpinglemma posted:

Team Nexus have put up their Tactical Tower D early walkthough here if people are interested - it's much more newbie-focused than the W one.

Even though their tutorials are inconsistent in terms of who their target audience is in terms of skill level, I should probably link to the Team Nexus Youtube in the OP, so I'll go ahead and do that after posting this.

Jester Mcgee posted:

My notes claim that I got a pure silver on tower W with 0 Sunstones, and I know from more recent plays that a pure gold is possible with enough Sunstones. That said, this is where I reiterate the point that the best thing to do is take whatever path feels most comfortable to you. You learn different things depending on whether you're aiming for Pure Nexus or doing a run with medals, but the things you learn can be carried over into either play style. Same with going back to optimize old towers versus exploring uncharted territory in new towers. But since this game requires patience above all other things, it's important not to let yourself get frustrated with what you're doing. Breaks can be very good.

Tower W is hard even if you know what you're doing, though. You start losing stressful amounts of HP somewhere around the middle no matter what you do.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Tower W made a lot more sense when I realized/remembered something: Japan loves to use the letter W to mean double. Good example is W-Magic in Final Fantasy 7. Once I remembered that, a big portion of the gimmick finally clicked.

And yes, when I finally busted through the wall and beat Tower W, it was when I just said "Screw it, I'm just going to see how deep I can get, no concern for how much HP I have left when the dust settles".

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I just tried the ATK -> DEF build that Team Nexus suggested in their walkthrough video for W and failed miserably in the third transition. But it feels like you can't manage a pure gold without being able to kill the final fighters and slashers for zero damage, and going pure DEF from the start seems impossible. The key requirements being so incredibly tight doesn't help matters either. I'll try one more time tomorrow, then say "gently caress it" and move onto medal runs.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

pumpinglemma posted:

I just tried the ATK -> DEF build that Team Nexus suggested in their walkthrough video for W and failed miserably in the third transition. But it feels like you can't manage a pure gold without being able to kill the final fighters and slashers for zero damage, and going pure DEF from the start seems impossible. The key requirements being so incredibly tight doesn't help matters either. I'll try one more time tomorrow, then say "gently caress it" and move onto medal runs.

I've never actually looked at the walkthroughs that Team Nexus has posted, but my understanding is that that particular walkthrough is designed more for diamond-level Nexus Stage play rather than gold-level Pure Nexus play. I imagine the appropriate strategy differs a lot between the two.

Case in point, for my own pure gold, I went almost entirely DEF for my level-ups, but this was combined with relying heavily on using keys early and often to boost my ATK. You probably can't really afford to use your keys that early if you're planning on doing the Nexus Stage, but in a Pure Nexus run, you're kinda needlessly wasting HP otherwise. Even if you save up your keys, by the time you can afford to open any of those end-of-tower powerups, there's not really enough enemies left to justify it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Wanton Spoon posted:

I've never actually looked at the walkthroughs that Team Nexus has posted, but my understanding is that that particular walkthrough is designed more for diamond-level Nexus Stage play rather than gold-level Pure Nexus play. I imagine the appropriate strategy differs a lot between the two.

Case in point, for my own pure gold, I went almost entirely DEF for my level-ups, but this was combined with relying heavily on using keys early and often to boost my ATK. You probably can't really afford to use your keys that early if you're planning on doing the Nexus Stage, but in a Pure Nexus run, you're kinda needlessly wasting HP otherwise. Even if you save up your keys, by the time you can afford to open any of those end-of-tower powerups, there's not really enough enemies left to justify it.
I can see spending red keys fairly liberally, but the blue keys in particular seem like they'd really repay being stingy if I could pull it off. Six of them can be traded in on 14F for a relatively early feather (and access to another feather via red keys), 27 of them can be traded in on 20F for an absolute fuckton of dream drops and continental potions, and then... that's it, unless I miscounted there aren't any more blue keys in the entire tower. And even though you won't get the feathers behind the yellow doors on 19F until towards the end of the tower, considering you'll be killing final fighters and final slashers for zero, that should still mean an awful lot of extra HP levels which will then be doubled by two eternal potions...

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

pumpinglemma posted:

I can see spending red keys fairly liberally, but the blue keys in particular seem like they'd really repay being stingy if I could pull it off. Six of them can be traded in on 14F for a relatively early feather (and access to another feather via red keys), 27 of them can be traded in on 20F for an absolute fuckton of dream drops and continental potions, and then... that's it, unless I miscounted there aren't any more blue keys in the entire tower. And even though you won't get the feathers behind the yellow doors on 19F until towards the end of the tower, considering you'll be killing final fighters and final slashers for zero, that should still mean an awful lot of extra HP levels which will then be doubled by two eternal potions...

Tower W pure gold spoilers continued:

On Blue Keys: There is still survivability to consider, though. Opening blue doors to open shortcuts to potions in the second segment may not be as great towards your end-game score, but it helps you double your HP to considerably higher levels in the middle of the tower, which is where you really need that HP. You can still reach quite a few of those 20F potions eventually, you just have to wait a while.

Also, I've just given up on trading in six Blue Keys for a single Golden Feather. Those keys are just too useful in fulfilling their other purposes, regardless of whether it's a Pure Nexus run or otherwise. Individual Golden Feathers aren't actually worth a whole lot once you're that far into the tower.

On Yellow Keys: Even if you save up, there's no way to unlock those Golden Feathers without fighting a bunch of the second-tier yellow Shadows, and there's enough of those around that you should be able to unlock those Feathers at some point even if you do spend the keys more liberally in the earlier parts of the tower. You're only losing out on however much extra experience you would've gained from defeating enough Shadows to make up for the missing keys, that's probably barely enough for a single level, anyway.

...And I got a gold even without getting those feathers. Similar to the Feather behind blue doors, I feel like there's not enough enemies left to justify the expense.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I was thinking that the best part of this game was optimizing a completed tower to turn a silver into a gold or a gold into a platinum medal. Then this happened:

Yes, I ended up getting it by rearranging my levels, but that is just cruel

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Some people are getting to the point they might be thinking how in the world they might obtain their first diamond, which seems pretty insurmountable.

There's three candidates for this, and they all can work:

P, W and Tutorial 2.

Wanton and I both got ours in Tutorial 2, Phoil got his on P, and W is definitely obtainable as well. So you can choose which is your favorite and go from there. Good sunwishers help, have a large number of medals helps a lot, and having good general medal quality also helps, so just chasing a diamond might not be the best use of time, but it might not be a bad idea to also play through the nexus stages of those stages just to get a feel of their ideas and see how close you are (and what might be useful to buy with medals).

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Is there a way to see what the score multipliers are on each tower before reaching a clear square? I was surprised when I reached the top of Tactical Tower D and my attack and defense got 5x multipliers.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

nrook posted:

Is there a way to see what the score multipliers are on each tower before reaching a clear square? I was surprised when I reached the top of Tactical Tower D and my attack and defense got 5x multipliers.

As far as I've seen in the first 10 or so towers:

HP is always 1x
First clear icon is always 1x stats
Second clear icon is always 5x stats
Third clear icon is always 10x stats

rath fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 14, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

rath posted:

As far as I've seen in the first 10 or so towers:

HP is always 1x
First clear icon is always 1x stats
Second clear icon is always 5x stats
Third clear icon is always 10x stats

Yep, I think you're right. Thanks!

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
And Pop is cleared!

Wanton and I have been talking about this for a while, and a couple days ago Wanton had the first really good stage 2 clear of the stage that's Nexus eligible (because, the Nexus condition is a doosy). He was having some stat troubles on the Nexus stage though, so I was playing around with some things and was able to get to the Nexus stage in a bit better shape, and that parlayed into a clear.

Wanton had the key insight into the level and I just played around with some things to try to be maximally greedy and keep that insight in tact. He really did most of the legwork for this.

And on pop... Pop really rewards playing around a lot with different ideas and having really good knowledge of what's going on and what's coming next.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Congratulations! I've still been trying to do absolutely everything possible in towers 1-11 without pop before I even take a look at it - equipment is scary enough by itself, never mind with the central conceit of pop thrown in...

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Heiji posted:

And Pop is cleared!

Wanton and I have been talking about this for a while, and a couple days ago Wanton had the first really good stage 2 clear of the stage that's Nexus eligible (because, the Nexus condition is a doosy). He was having some stat troubles on the Nexus stage though, so I was playing around with some things and was able to get to the Nexus stage in a bit better shape, and that parlayed into a clear.

Wanton had the key insight into the level and I just played around with some things to try to be maximally greedy and keep that insight in tact. He really did most of the legwork for this.

And on pop... Pop really rewards playing around a lot with different ideas and having really good knowledge of what's going on and what's coming next.
I mean, you can give me partial credit on this one if you really want to, but that doesn't change the fact that
  1. I started playing this game back in December while you started playing in the past month or so, and despite that, we ended up at the door of Pop's Nexus Stage with about the same number of medals at about the same time
  2. Though I provided you with only vague or general advice from incomplete playthroughs, and advice which I've come to doubt extensively, you nonetheless shot past me and immediately finished it on your own
  3. I've been playing this tower nonstop for the past three days, starting from the beginning and going up through the second checkpoint at least four times, not counting all the times I backtracked several floors to take a different approach, and at this point I'm out of ideas and I'm tired of trying to complete it.
Although it's taken the form of complaining (I'm very tired), mainly I'm just trying to make the point that your skill level continues to exist on a plane I'm barely capable of comprehending, and you should give yourself more credit for it. I'll take credit for introducing the game to everyone and getting everyone started, but I can't claim to be the master at this point. I've been really impressed with what I've been seeing from everyone, honestly.

And now I need to take a break. The game's fun and it's been rewarding getting the community off the ground, but I think it's been eating up more of my time than is justified at this point. I'll try to slow my pace to something more suitable to the relaxed approach I usually take with most games, and go from there. In particular, I'm probably going to put Pop on the table for a while.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Disregard my previous message, after posting it I realized I forgot to try something and then I immediately got the moon medal on Pop.

Dramatic re-enactment: :negative:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Wanton Spoon posted:

Disregard my previous message, after posting it I realized I forgot to try something and then I immediately got the moon medal on Pop.

Ah, a cunning interweaving of ATK and DEF level-ups of the sort that bespeaks true mastery. Congrats!

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007

Wanton Spoon posted:

Congratulations! Enjoy your victory lap on D!

Also, incoming message from Team Nexus...

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

pumpinglemma posted:

Ah, a cunning interweaving of ATK and DEF level-ups of the sort that bespeaks true mastery. Congrats!

Honestly, I tried every single permutation of stat-ups and equipment swaps that I thought had even a remote chance of working. My screenshot represents the results of literally the last idea I had left. That said, I recognize that I still haven't really mastered the art of the particular strategy you mentioned, and I've seen someone on Discord get uncomfortably close to a pure platinum on Tower W after figuring it out themselves, so I'm assuming it's just a matter of time before someone does it with Pop Tactical Lord and I turn into a corncob.

I did think for a while that I would actually need to focus on DEF for the entirety of the main tower so that I could fight the Chronicle enemies for 0 damage, then swap over to ATK for my remaining levels so I could take on the Dreamer, but there were just too many segments throughout the main tower that force you to raise your ATK between ranks of enemies before you can even deal damage to the next rank, and I just couldn't afford to do that. And if you can't get enemies down to 0 damage, there's no reason not to just do ATK all the time.

Granted, if it were up to me, I would never raise DEF anyway. ATK builds for lyfe

Heiji posted:

Congratulations! Enjoy your victory lap on D!

Also, incoming message from Team Nexus...

How many layers of tutorial are there? Is it just tutorials all the way down??

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

If only you got points at the end of towers for the number of blue keys you had. Then I'd have at least a gold everywhere!

:smith:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I think I just solved a big mystery in Tactical Nexus:

First, hover over a save slot arrow.

Second, press the opposite arrow key from your save slot. For example, if you're hovering over the left arrow, press the right arrow key.

Your currently selected save slot will change! If you pressed the right arrow, for example, your save slot will switch to the next one.

I've had a lot of "Wait, how did my save slot get there?" moments playing the game, and this I think clears up all of them. I assume it's an old UI concept that got rejected and was never cleaned up.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I bought this game. I've gotten bronze on Tutorial Tower, and managed to get a Silver on Tutorial Tower New on my second attempt (first attempt I reached the first goal, but was screwed over by the dungeon's generosity with and thirst for keys and didn't get bronze). Tutorial Tower New I keep feeling that I've been cheesing it because... does anyone else just say "gently caress it" to certain floors, unlock the block going to the next floor with the purple or silver key, grab that key that's next to the block, and only after tackling a higher floor or two for stat buffs, return for more keys/exp?

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

For anyone who hasn't opened the program in a bit, you can play windowed mode at a much larger size now.

nrook posted:

If only you got points at the end of towers for the number of blue keys you had. Then I'd have at least a gold everywhere!

:smith:
If it's any consolation, there's an accessory in chapter 4 that boosts your HP multiplier based on how many Violet Keys you currently have.

nrook posted:

I've had a lot of "Wait, how did my save slot get there?" moments playing the game, and this I think clears up all of them.
Every once in a while I'd notice my save was on slot 37 or something and I had no idea how it got there. That's pretty weird, but I'm glad to know that I'm not crazy.

Randalor posted:

Tutorial Tower New I keep feeling that I've been cheesing it because... does anyone else just say "gently caress it" to certain floors, unlock the block going to the next floor with the purple or silver key, grab that key that's next to the block, and only after tackling a higher floor or two for stat buffs, return for more keys/exp?

That's not cheesing the game, figuring out the most efficient way of pulling this off is one of the core puzzles of the game. If it feels like it puts you ahead of the enemies, well, that's why you're rewarded for your planning with a higher score. But later towers put you in a position where you have no choice but to do this in order to move forward, and it doesn't take very long to reach that point.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wanton Spoon posted:

That's not cheesing the game, figuring out the most efficient way of pulling this off is one of the core puzzles of the game. If it feels like it puts you ahead of the enemies, well, that's why you're rewarded for your planning with a higher score. But later towers put you in a position where you have no choice but to do this in order to move forward, and it doesn't take very long to reach that point.

I also used it to get the gold feather on the first floor when I was level 6, hence why I said it felt like cheese. No sun medals used either (for the whole +1 stat my one bronze would give me). It felt like cheese when people on the first couple of pages were talking about being able to get it at higher levels.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

There’s one tower where the best strategy is to just spend all your early levels on keys, get just enough stats to beat your way past one particular enemy and survive, then go up the staircase they were guarding and gorge yourself on all the tasty tasty power-ups and feathers. But that strategy is entirely intentional, and you won’t get a good medal without using it. Basically, there’s no such thing as cheese in this game - only good strategies and bad strategies, and skipping floors and enemies is often good strategy.

e: By the way, there’s no reason not to use sunstones - it still counts as a pure nexus run if you do.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I got this yesterday after playing the demo and got a silver on the Tutorial tower. Then decided to try Tactical Mini because it was late and, well, mini, and immediately went "welp".

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

i've been waiting for so long for another game like this

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Venuz Patrol posted:

i've been waiting for so long for another game like this

You know, I'm curious what you and other players of Tendry's Tale actually make of this game, at least once you get far enough into it. But onto the main reason I'm posting...

Even though people are getting used to the game, there's still one tower that players are having some trouble wrapping their heads around, and that's tower #8, Hitofude Dojo. Though I usually don't want to give TOO much away in regards to strategy, the fact of the matter is that the kind of thinking required for Hitofude Dojo is so far away from what's normally expected from this game that I personally wouldn't have any objections to players looking up the solution to it (provided they don't use it to get a jumpstart on high-ranking medals).

That said, even though I seem to have less trouble with the tower than most, even I don't have more than a gold medal in it. So I don't feel qualified to write a full-on walkthrough like I did for tower K. But I can still provide a solid starting foundation, and maybe that will be enough for you to figure out how to optimize the tower better than I did.

The first piece of advice

The "undo" function doesn't fully integrate with the tower's gimmick; although you're picturing things in terms of mouse clicks, the action list is still interpreting things in terms of what order you picked up items or fought enemies. In other words, hitting "undo" is going to take you backwards through several segments of an individual move before it finally lands you back at your original starting point, and sometimes it's hard to tell where that actually is. For this reason, it's highly recommended to create a new save file at the beginning of each new floor, and just reload the save if you need to redo something. Given the nature of the mechanics, although it may take a long time to plan out a floor, it doesn't actually take very long to play it if you have to start over.

The first three floors

One of the funny things about the tower is that the first three floors are arguably the hardest ones. If you don't play them optimally, you leave yourself in a bad position for surviving more than a few floors after that. If you do play them optimally, then it turns out you have plenty of room to breathe for the rest of the tower; you can gain a surplus of Anchor Hooks on nearly every floor afterwards just by making the right moves.

If you want to figure out the first few floors for yourself, you can skip this section and just read the next one. If you don't want strategic advice from me, but you do want to skip to the easier parts of the tower so you have more room to practice on your own, then you can follow this simple three-screenshot guide that shows you the exact order of moves to make in order to leave yourself in an ideal position starting on the fourth floor.

Note that in order to pull off the order of moves as listed, if you aren't bringing the equivalent powerups from the Nexus, you have to spend your first four level-ups on a Blue Key and three Anchor Hooks, in that order.

You can follow this path while using 0 Sunstones. If you have more starting resources than that, you won't be totally locked into these steps, so you may choose to modify a few or remove them entirely.

First floor "Kyukyu":
Second floor "Hakkyu":
Third floor "Nanakyu":

How to move properly

Given that you have limited moves, you want to make the most of every move possible, so it matters what path you take to get to where you're going. Ideally, you should get used to how Anchor Hook movement works before you start planning out any given floor. It may help to practice in a relatively open area, such as third floor "Nanakyu" shown above.

The primary rule governing Anchor Hook movement is that vertical movement (north/south) always takes priority over horizontal movement (east/west). After you select a destination, our protagonist Purple will always try to travel north or south to reach the same Y-axis as the destination before ever moving east or west on purpose. If Purple hits an obstacle while still heading north or south, then Purple will head east or west only as far as necessary to move around the obstacle, then immediately continue heading north or south.

What this means is that it's best to train your eye to look for item pickups that are all in the same vertical line as each other. Then, while you make progress towards fulfilling the floor's objectives, try to do so by following a particular sequence that naturally places you directly above or under that line of powerups, so you can grab them all at once. If you can see a rectangular path that you'd like to take, keep in mind that you can form an easy full rectangle by starting in one corner, clicking the opposite corner, then clicking the original corner again. Also, try to look for opportunities to clear out enemies in such a way that they form a wall that automatically nudges you into taking the particular path you want to take.

And keep an eye out for additional Anchor Hooks. You should try to pick up every Anchor Hook on every floor, provided the Anchor Hook is not blocked by an especially destructive or otherwise insurmountable object of some sort. At worst, you're going to break even by spending a single Anchor Hook to retrieve a single Anchor Hook, and you'll almost always pick up at least a few powerups in getting to it.

But also, don't limit yourself to getting the Anchor Hook on the specific turn you're using in order to reach the Anchor Hook. To put it another way: Say you're already planning to fight a certain enemy. Say you're also planning on picking up an Anchor Hook. Rather than spend one turn to pick up the Anchor Hook, and then another turn to reach the enemy, try this instead: spend your first turn to land in a particular position such that you pick up the Anchor Hook on the way to fighting the enemy on your second turn. Approaching your two turns in this way will most likely allow you to cover more of the floor during your two moves, allowing you to pick up more powerups overall.

To see an example of the above tips in action, here are a sample first two moves you can make in sixth floor "Yonkyu":

If you look at the first screenshot, I don't pick up any Anchor Hooks on my first move, so if you examine this move by itself, all I did was spend an Anchor Hook to get some powerups. In reality, though, what I was doing was positioning myself in the most ideal spot to perform my actual goal, fighting the enemy blocking the Golden Feather. By spending two moves in this manner to pull off this end goal, not only do I pick up several powerups and a couple of keys, but I actually end with one more Anchor Hook than I would've had if I'd just gone directly to fight the enemy. I noticed this trick because I was looking to see which Anchor Hooks were in a vertical line, or a near-vertical line, to each other.

Long-term strategy and end-game scoring

The following section involves the kind of thing that would qualify as spoilers in any standard tower, like how to spend keys and whatnot, so if all you wanted was advice on the mechanics unique to Hitofude Dojo, you should probably stop reading right here.

Well, okay, one comment relating to the uniqueness of Hitofude Dojo: In most towers, you eventually get the opportunity to clean out nearly everything in the tower. Hitofude Dojo doesn't give you that much leeway, so you have to be selective in how you spend your limited moves. What this ultimately means is that probably the absolute best use of ANY of your moves is spent fighting enemies at the end of the tower, and nowhere else, if you can help it. These enemies provide the most experience alongside plenty of Drops of Dream Ocean, and you're also taking 0 damage from them at this point.

Oh yeah, this is one of the few towers where you can actually raise your DEF high enough to completely nullify damage from endgame enemies, oddly enough. However, that doesn't mean you should raise DEF from the very beginning. There are too many places in the tower where the only way to get access to more Anchor Hooks and Golden Feathers is by fighting enemies that are much too powerful for you unless you've been spending the majority of your levels raising ATK. So when's the best point to switch from ATK to DEF? I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I think it's after you finish the sixteenth floor "Nanadan", i.e. this floor here:

So that covers enemy prioritization and stat timing, but your end score is also ultimately going to be capped by however many Anchor Hooks you have, so you should gather as many of them as you can. Spend as many of your first level-ups on Anchor Hooks as you can afford. Also spend some level-ups on keys so you can make sure to unlock all Anchor Hooks later in the tower, or open shortcuts that allow you to save a few moves that way. Pick up every key on every floor, there's a way to make the most of them later. Don't necessarily unlock every door as soon as you run across it.

Going out of your way to pick up as many Drops of Dream Ocean as possible is probably also relevant to getting the highest score possible, but I haven't really tried to optimize that part yet.

Well, that's about everything I can think of. I'm going to link this guide in the OP. If anyone has any questions or thinks I should cover any additional information here, just let me know.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Wanton Spoon posted:

Hitofude Dojo

I think this is a great primer. I think the dojo is basically an automatic silver once you fully comprehend the gimmick, and hard or possibly impossible to clear if you haven't "gotten it" yet, so I consider it similar to the also-excellent Mini tower in that regard. I do think there are two specific additional strategy points that I'd consider pretty important to a win:

#1 as a general note:
Because you can never go back, you should consider any super-tough looking enemy guarding badass treasure potentially surmountable, and a good indication of a "par" power level for that floor. The HP cost may or may not be worth it in specific cases, but if you reach a floor and literally cannot clear one of these guardian enemies, that is often (though not always) a bad sign that you're falling behind on the power curve. Those enemies will be increasingly common within a few more floors. This is a lesson that the tower immediately leads with in the very first few floors with the heavies blocking the feathers and extra anchors, and it carries throughout.

#2 on an annoying "gotcha" floor:
Save an absolute minimum of 3 purple keys for floor 13 "Yodan"; you absolutely need to have a silver key for the next floor. There are only 4 purples below this level, so you need to acquire and keep almost all of them. If you are playing the tower blind this is the most likely reason why you will ultimately lose and need to restart.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 25, 2020

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Remember everyone, HP is just a number!

Sometimes a very, very large number!

Choice +12!

Choice also has a pure plat available, so if you have purchased that DLC and want to play with ATK/DEF switching, jump in! Tutorial 4 also is not a hard tower as well.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Wanton Spoon posted:

You know, I'm curious what you and other players of Tendry's Tale actually make of this game, at least once you get far enough into it.

Now that i've played a bit (oh god i have 70 hours already) i feel qualified to provide a few opinions:

-in most of the towers of tactical nexus i've played, the primary obstacle is rare keys rather than boss monsters. progression in most holds in DROD RPG tended to be funneled into breakpoints at a boss at the end of each floor that allow you to get a feel for how well you're playing every step of the way. tactical nexus' focus on keys means that clever resource conversation can open up significant shortcuts in progression. the result is a way, way wider surface area of possible decisions you can make and directions you can go, despite the towers being much more compact than DROD RPG's holds. The complexity is good, but it can be unfortunate to be completely unsure of how well or poorly your run is going when you're three quarters of the way through and trying to figure out if spending a purple key early actually helped or not.

-i like DROD RPG's heavier emphasis on self contained puzzles. it helps that the engine it's built on was used to make one of the most complex puzzle game series of all time, but even when tactical nexus uses similar mechanics like trapdoor tiles or one way directional pads, it uses them for macro optimization puzzles more than for small scale trap rooms. it sounds like the orbs introduced in chapter four will bring in elements along those lines, so i'm excited to reach that part.

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
One hundred sunwishers! :toot:

I got my hundredth doing what I love - scrounging up HP in order to medal on life checkpoint 1.

Only have glorious left to "beat the game" in the current state, but the devs said that glorious is harder then pop so I've been hesitant to put in real attempts on it. Soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

So Team Nexus implemented the Memo system not too long ago:

When you write notes within a tower, they will be saved to a .dat file stored in SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Tactical Nexus\tmp1\wwdata\memo. If you'd like to use someone else's memos for a specific tower, it's as simple as taking their .dat file and saving over your own (though ideally you should make a backup of your own file first).

I've been putting together some walkthroughs in memo format, here's all the ones I've created so far (plus some created by other people):

Pure Nexus Memo Walkthroughs

01 - Tactical Tutorial - Save as "memo29.dat" (Recommended: 0 for | ??? for )
02 - Tactical Tower NEW - Save as "memo31.dat" (Recommended: 0 for )
03 - Tactical Tower D - Save as "memo12.dat" (Recommended: 0 for )
04 - Tactical Tower K - Save as "memo11.dat" (Recommended: 0 for | 20 for | ??? for ) (Note: This is a different strategy from the written guide I posted earlier.)
05 - Tactical Trip Mini - Save as "memo36.dat" (Recommended: 0 for | ??? for and beyond)
06 - Tactical Tower G - Save as "memo10.dat" (Recommended: 0 for | ??? for )

Nexus Stage Memo Walkthroughs

01 - Tactical Tutorial - Save as "memo29.dat" (Recommended: and 35 , or better medals and fewer Sunstones)
02 - Tactical Tower NEW - Save as "memo31.dat" (Recommended: and 25 )
03 - Tactical Tower D - Save as "memo12.dat" (Required: )
03 - Tactical Tower D (with Moon Medal skip) - Save as "memo12.dat" (Required: ) (Different routing with much higher scoring than the base guide above)
04 - Tactical Tower K - Save as "memo11.dat" (Recommended: and 20 )
05 - Tactical Trip Mini - Save as "memo36.dat" (Technically the step-by-step instructions are for Pure Nexus, but this guide also provides advice for how to improve your score in other situations.)

Guides by Other People

17 - Celestial Coliseum Pure Nexus Guide by Shini - Save as "memo50.dat" (Recommended: 0 for | 12 for | 41 for | 109 for | 285 for )
17 - Celestial Coliseum Guide by Shini - Save as "memo50.dat" (Recommended: and 0 for )
17 - Celestial Coliseum Guide, original by Shini with adjustments by Vilkni - Save as "memo50.dat" (Recommended: and 0 for )

I'll continue to add both my guides and others' guides as they are created, so feel free to link some of your own and I'll add them to the list.

Wanton Spoon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 7, 2020