Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i forgot there was a tacnex thread. anyway more people should play this because it's completely devoured my life.

Mescal posted:

i've been playing tactical nexus for days and what the gently caress is this

what's a map where a small number of medals/sunstones make a huge difference? i'm familiar with the first 3 maps, but haven't beat any of the others yet.

as other people have said, Mini is a great starting point. tutorial 1, NEW, and K are also pretty simple to tackle; K is one of my favorite towers and the main part is really short so it's simple to iterate runs on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

also hitofude dojo is the only tower of its type (so far (fingers crossed that they never ever do it again)) so don't feel bad about saving it for later or just flat out using a guide.

oh also don't forget about tactical beach; it's much lower on the list because it's an "ex" tower, but it doesn't scale with sunstones at all so you can tackle it anytime and while it can be extremely daunting at first, it can really teach you a ton about the game in general and is a fantastic source for early stones.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's maddeningly complex and makes my brain feel like it's falling apart. i love it 10/10

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

definitely don’t feel like you have to do them in order; several of the chapter 3 and 4 are approachable at low suns. also don’t forget about the free towers way at the bottom of the list, especially beach, which is completely doable at zero medals or suns and can be very rewarding

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

unfortunately that can go badly. hitofude dojo im looking at you

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Scrree posted:

I think one of my favorite aspects of this game is the way that looking at other people's runs can be productive in unexpected ways.

For example, I was feekling lost on what to do next and ended up watching this guys no sunstone pure platinum Tactical Tower W run. While I could copy his moves exactly to get a couple more sunstones, what actually happened was that I kept thinking "What would I do differently if I started the run with a bunch of medal power ups but played for the nexus clear?"

Eventually enough "Oh, that was a neat tactic, I'll try that next time." and "I wouldn't be able to spend those two yellows key here, but I could make up for it by opening that red door..." built up to form a rough gameplan. And it worked! I went from a low 30mil plat to just squeaking the diamond clear with 52mil. It's my 2nd diamond, which means I can finally open the Tactical Tutorial nexus stage. It's exciting and it feels so satisfying that I got there through taking in someone else's observations and genuinely building off of them with my own theorization.

hell yeah! iterating on other peoples runs is a huge part of the game, the community has been both vital to my progress and fantastic to take part in.

it should be mentioned that even though it’s the first tower, tut 1’s nexus is deceptively super hard. don’t feel bad if you don’t feel like you can crack it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

enigma74 posted:

Does anyone have a Hitufude dojo pure gold, with 10 or less sunstones? I got the pure silver complete, but I'm stuck terribly at about 18.3 million, which is just a little shy of gold's 20 million. I think I'm having trouble with the final levels, despite everyone else saying that the ropes are plentiful. I started the second to last stage with 2.2 million HP, 6k attack and 10k defense, and 45 ropes. It wasn't enough to clear all the monsters, just the ones worth a lot of xp.

By the way, what level are people ending Hitufude dojo at on pure runs? Spent a lot of time re-strategizing, but my runs ended up at level 134 both times! I'm pretty sure I can get the normal gold if I bust out the medals, but the pure gold is so close! My second run, i was so proud of getting both platinum keys for the godan level with 2 platinum doors, but getting the second platinum key basically brought my character to <1000 HP. I though the extra experience boost would make up for the massive loss in HP...but it didn't really.

it's possible to get a true pure (0 suns) diamond on dojo. it's incredibly tight and precise, but the possibility exists. dojo is one that i would never ever begrudge someone looking up a step by step guide.

in terms of ending levels, this 0 sun run ended at a 145, so there's definitely way more possibility for you to sweat levels.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

definitely a super useful addition. being able to automatically count + reserve keys based on your successful runs is nice. unfortunately it doesn't play well with frozen doors or ice keys but thankfully that's only a handful of towers

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mescal posted:

Has any third party made a level for the game?

there's someone in the tacnex discord (LAWatson, who might post in this thread sometimes, I forget) who's making a game with extremely similar systems called Leapfrog Prince

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mescal posted:

Interesting. So they could piggyback on the devs' system but they made their own. What I was hoping was that somebody made an easy pack, for handicap sunstones -- I don't usually play puzzle games. I've been playing this one for a while but I never got to the point where it felt like it clicked and I could go by feel. I'm a "solo player," I don't really find it fun to follow somebody's video. Maybe if there were somebody with charisma.

if you haven't joined the discord you REALLY should; the community there is incredibly helpful and happy to give tips without just spoiling everything. i'm at 5.5k suns and there's no way i would have even a tenth that many if it wasn't for the help of other people

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it is very intimidating but if you've been away for years then there's a TON of qol that's been added to make easing back in simpler, like the ability to reserve doors to make key counting enormously simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

Whats this mean exactly?

you can shift+right click on any locked door and it will mark it as "reserved" and keep a running count in your key totals, so you know exactly how many keys you still need to get in order to open the doors you want.

as you can see, i "reserved" the four doors here, and it puts a counter where your keys are:

that counter will automatically decrease as you open the reserved doors, too.

you can combine this with the "memories from 0" mechanic they added, that allows you to load the doors you opened in a saved game from a past run, so it will automatically reserve every single door you opened and give you the key count for that.