Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
It is baffling how a game with a translation and UI this incomprehensible and ugly could be so engrossing. I wish there were more tightly-crafted towers like the mini tower though, I was finding tower D pretty sloggy at 10 floors, the remark that there are 30+ floor towers sounds exhausting.

Question: some of the towers have the tier 3 "crown" checkpoint listed, but when you get to the top it only seems to have the tier 2 "star" checkpoint. Is there some secret to unlocking extra floors on these towers, or is there some other mechanic I'm misunderstanding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
It looks like the dev has a quasi-walkthrough video for tower W: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcOyydF347c. I'm not sure useful it is in specific terms for beating W, since
a) he goes in with an enormous raft of sunstones and medals and
b) the video keeps cutting forward in time and skipping huge spans of levels

But still very interesting as example of high level play and I feel like this is making me strongly reconsider how I was valuing defense and how I was using keys.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I wish there was a way to just visually page through each floor of a tower without screenshots or save states. It's pretty clear that a lot of the towers are set up with a lot of ambushes and gotcha moments, which are "cute" the first time you do a run, but immediately become tedious when you go to retry something and can't remember which keys you shouldn't use and which floors you should be skipping ahead to.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Sunstones are a truly-free bonus, I don't think the score recorded by the game even tracks how many you used.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

John Lee posted:

Fuuuuuck, Tower K why you do these things to me

I'm gonna have to take notes and do math, aren't I? Aren't I!?

"Time to take notes" is basically the point I have arrived at on K after failing to medal on my first clear, and then getting walled by forgetting to save a specific purple key on my second attempt. I think creating a fresh save as well as a screenshot each time you get to a new floor on a tower is probably close to mandatory on anything harder or longer than mini and the tutorials.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I meticulously recorded all the keys you get and spend on each floor of tower K and pre-planned my whole route and still only managed a bronze on pure :negative:

I think I have ideas on how I could've made silver, but game is HARD.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The second phase of tower G is ruining my life. I managed a bronze just based on levels, but have now failed twice to reach the "star" clear. It's a long, long tower to have to retry.

Question about the top floor:

Is the uber treasure cache at the top worth going for in a pure run, or is that more meant for the full "crown" clear when you'll have more levels to spend? I haven't mathed it out but it takes something crazy like 15 levels worth of keys to get to the final set of silver doors which seems like a ludicrously high cost versus the goodies you can unlock in the basement.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Char posted:

Three times I try Tactical K, three times I stop at the corridor with the 4 different keys. I guess I'm not leveling up enough but I don't get what I'm getting wrong exactly, I get a bunch of keys in the first levels... and I end up being too weak once I get to that floor.

K is definitely tough and provides a very thin margin of error. My 2c:

Enemies in K don't drop rewards, so every enemy functionally becomes a burgeoner--valuable for XP only. Grab absolutely every feather from the first five floors as fast as possible, and leave as many enemies alive as possible while doing so unless they block you from stairs or block you from a feather. This applies especially to burgeoners -- never kill them unless they're blocking your path. You can exceed 1000% XP multiplier and then some by the end of the tower if you get all the feathers.

If you manage your XP well you will definitely have the stats needed to get through the gauntlet on 7, and if you save some blues for floor 5, then health should not be a problem either.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I feel like I need more specific guidance on completing tower G:

I can get to what seems like a pretty healthy state by the top of the tower, with my level in the mid 50s, ~200k hp, ~2100 attack, ~2200 defence. At this point I can backtrack and wipe out all the birds top to bottom with 640% XP multiplier and wring another handful of levels out, getting to 350k HP, ~2200 attack, ~2300 defense.

The problem from there is that this still feels extremely underpowered by the bottom. Even at this point, the final fighters are doing ~30k damage a piece, and there are very few stat bonuses left anywhere in the tower to improve on that number that don't involve fighting lots and lots of them.

I can't tell if I'm on track and just need to play very carefully from the midway point that I already have, or if there was some snowballing series of errors from the very beginning and I should've had lots more levels/stats/hp than I currently do by the midpoint.

I tried to switch to tutorial 3 for a change up, but that one seems outrageously hard after the first checkpoint as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Wanton Spoon posted:

Hitofude Dojo

I think this is a great primer. I think the dojo is basically an automatic silver once you fully comprehend the gimmick, and hard or possibly impossible to clear if you haven't "gotten it" yet, so I consider it similar to the also-excellent Mini tower in that regard. I do think there are two specific additional strategy points that I'd consider pretty important to a win:

#1 as a general note:
Because you can never go back, you should consider any super-tough looking enemy guarding badass treasure potentially surmountable, and a good indication of a "par" power level for that floor. The HP cost may or may not be worth it in specific cases, but if you reach a floor and literally cannot clear one of these guardian enemies, that is often (though not always) a bad sign that you're falling behind on the power curve. Those enemies will be increasingly common within a few more floors. This is a lesson that the tower immediately leads with in the very first few floors with the heavies blocking the feathers and extra anchors, and it carries throughout.

#2 on an annoying "gotcha" floor:
Save an absolute minimum of 3 purple keys for floor 13 "Yodan"; you absolutely need to have a silver key for the next floor. There are only 4 purples below this level, so you need to acquire and keep almost all of them. If you are playing the tower blind this is the most likely reason why you will ultimately lose and need to restart.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 25, 2020