Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Victory!

I have no idea why this game is so captivating, but it really is. I had to rethink a lot of things on this map, which is pretty amazing since there's no tricks or no hidden conceits really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
What's the general approach for tower G? I can make the first goal just fine, but even with a nexus feather at time 0 I just stall out in the last room, which is frustrating since apparently there's a way to get it even without that feather!

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007

Wanton Spoon posted:

When I did my first Pure Nexus run on that one, I just gave up on reaching that second goal point. I did recently get a Pure Nexus gold in Tactical Tower G after I'd refined my strategy trying to get a diamond, but I used 40 Sunstones to do it. Still, now that I know what the proper strategy is, I think it's conceivable you could do it with a lot fewer Sunstones than that. And it should definitely be possible with an extra Golden Feather at the beginning. Well, I'll just go ahead and give my main two points of advice for that tower.

Important point #1, the "easy" tip: Since you can reach Golden Feathers as a level-up reward, Golden Feathers have an accelerating effect on each other; if you get one Golden Feather, you can reach the other Golden Feathers even faster, since you reach them through level-building in and of itself. So you want to make a beeline for every Golden Feather on both fronts. When level-building, you should be unlocking absolutely the shortest path possible to each Golden Feather in the Underground. Once you've gotten the last Golden Feather, then you can focus on unlocking doors that give you better stat powerups, and now you'll have the full selection available to you to maximize those benefits.

Important point #2, the "hard" tip: This is the part I struggled with when trying to figure out how to get a diamond (which I still haven't done). Tower G is the rare tower where it actually makes more sense to focus on DEF instead of ATK. The reason for this is because you CAN get the last enemies in the underground all the way down to 0 damage if you pick up basically every (worthwhile) DEF powerup available to you, but this does mean essentially bypassing most superfluous ATK powerups, and it means defeating a lot of the Final Fighters even when they're still doing a ton of damage to you. You really have to have a good understanding of HP management under a DEF build to pull this one off.

I finished the basement of G (only with gold, but still)! Your tips were mirroring my thoughts on what I was thinking going on, but it was nice to have confirmation!

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Did you know you can go back to the main map from the nexus maps? I had this impression that it was a one way thing.

On an unrelated note, I platted Tutorial 2!

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Made progress today with pure silvers on tutorial 3 and W!

W seemed to me about the pain of being understated until you can finally hit a critical point, and having to survive until that point. But getting to that point was really painful, and I had to restart due to insufficient HP several times.

Tutorial 3 is fun with equipment. I thought the opening was tricky, but after figuring out what was going on it wasn't too bad to get to the first clear point. Progressing past that... well that'd be a different story.

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Success! First diamond (in tutorial 2)! Tutorial 2 is definitely fun to play around in, and by far the most approachable nexus level. Definitely give it a shot once you meet the metal requirements!

Tactical tutorial 4 is fun with orbs, and orbs are bonkers, so that's a fun to to look at too. I was able to get a pure gold without many issues.

Sword, W, and P are all stages with fairly dramatic escalation points, and the objective is how to navigate through it.

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Nexus requirements through chapter 2!

Tutorial: Silver x2, Gold x2, Plat x2, Diamond x2
NEW: Silver x2, Gold x2, Plat x2, Diamond x2 (+ Winner Key from Basement, Blue/Green Key)
D: Bronze x 2, Silver x2, Gold x2, Plat x3
K: Plat x3
G: Plat x4, Diamond x2
Tutorial 2: Bronze x3, Silver x3, Gold x2
W: Bronze x2, Silver, Gold x2
P: Bronze x6
Tutorial 3: Bronze Silver Gold Plat Diamond
Pop: I don't see any, but I'd bet it's the return key (Bronze x2 Silver Gold Plat)

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
G tower diamond (+1)!

G nexus was interesting since going in it felt fairly obvious what was going on, and then I failed. Then it felt fairly obvious what else was going on, then I failed. And eventually something much less obvious occurred and I was able to get the win.

I feel this is the beauty of the game - it's about coming up with a thesis on what's happening and how resources should be allocated, and iterating on it, and figuring out the blind spots in your analysis.

If you're looking for good starting nexuses to run, K isn't that bad (and only needs 3 plat medals). You also can get your K gold by playing the nexus a little, which is probably the easiest way to get K gold.

Tutorial 2 is also a solid candidate, and doesn't need any plats (but 8 medals). Tutorial 2 is also very short, which is nice, and teaches you lessons about how the nexus map and the main map interacts (hit M!)

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Some people are getting to the point they might be thinking how in the world they might obtain their first diamond, which seems pretty insurmountable.

There's three candidates for this, and they all can work:

P, W and Tutorial 2.

Wanton and I both got ours in Tutorial 2, Phoil got his on P, and W is definitely obtainable as well. So you can choose which is your favorite and go from there. Good sunwishers help, have a large number of medals helps a lot, and having good general medal quality also helps, so just chasing a diamond might not be the best use of time, but it might not be a bad idea to also play through the nexus stages of those stages just to get a feel of their ideas and see how close you are (and what might be useful to buy with medals).

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
And Pop is cleared!

Wanton and I have been talking about this for a while, and a couple days ago Wanton had the first really good stage 2 clear of the stage that's Nexus eligible (because, the Nexus condition is a doosy). He was having some stat troubles on the Nexus stage though, so I was playing around with some things and was able to get to the Nexus stage in a bit better shape, and that parlayed into a clear.

Wanton had the key insight into the level and I just played around with some things to try to be maximally greedy and keep that insight in tact. He really did most of the legwork for this.

And on pop... Pop really rewards playing around a lot with different ideas and having really good knowledge of what's going on and what's coming next.

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007

Wanton Spoon posted:

Disregard my previous message, after posting it I realized I forgot to try something and then I immediately got the moon medal on Pop.

Dramatic re-enactment: :negative:

Congratulations! Enjoy your victory lap on D!

Also, incoming message from Team Nexus...

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Remember everyone, HP is just a number!

Sometimes a very, very large number!

Choice +12!

Choice also has a pure plat available, so if you have purchased that DLC and want to play with ATK/DEF switching, jump in! Tutorial 4 also is not a hard tower as well.

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
One hundred sunwishers! :toot:

I got my hundredth doing what I love - scrounging up HP in order to medal on life checkpoint 1.

Only have glorious left to "beat the game" in the current state, but the devs said that glorious is harder then pop so I've been hesitant to put in real attempts on it. Soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Heavy is out!

If you ever wanted to play pop, but wished you couldn't earn XP and not have reward grids, does Team Nexus have the tower for you!