Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Oh dear. This is going to consume me, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I thought I was doing better, but I slam right into this floor and get stuck. It's like there's a huge jump in everyone's HP and I cannot surmount it. I typically wind up like this:

I think I see the problem just from that screenshot, actually. Warning: may induce swearing.

Just below your defence on the right of the screen is your XP. You get it for killing monsters, and on level up you can choose between stats that scale with higher levels and keys that don’t. The buttons just below your EXP let you choose what bonus you want. The LVUP! x17 means you’ve levelled 17 times without picking a bonus. Basically you’ve been playing a horrifyingly difficult challenge mode!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Welp. I downloaded the demo at 2AM on Sunday. It is now 8PM on Monday. I have 19 hours playtime, and pure medals in the tactical tutorial (silver), tactical tower G (silver) and tactical tower NEW (gold). I also have a job. I think I may have a problem.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Flapjack Monty posted:

Playing the demo, got silver on the first two, but TacTower D and K are really insidious. K was going fine until I ran into something way too beefy, and D is just a slog. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
My first D run was a slog as well, I only just got to the end. I found there were three tricks.

Not really a trick, just something that will make things less frustrating: There are no life crowns anywhere in the tower, so you might as well pick up all the health as soon as you have access to it. I found this helped give me a better sense of how well I was actually doing.

The first small trick: Don't be afraid to put off defense on level ups to get keys. I think my first non-defense level up was at level 10 or 11. The +10 DEF you get from the attack potions will be enough to tide you over for quite a while, at least if you've got a few sun medals to put into DEF as well (which you do).

The second small trick: You'll need to use the rare keys quite carefully. They're plentiful at the end, but scarce at the start. In particular, that incredibly tempting room with +5 ATK and a feather and everything you could possibly want is a trap - you should end up getting to it with two violet keys, not one of your early platinums. Your first platinum key should be used to unlock the stairs up, and your second should be used to get more keys.

The lynchpin: Absolutely as soon as you're strong enough to kill the black-coloured slasher guarding the stairs, even if it costs you almost all your available health, beeline directly for the ATK powerups in the upper levels. There are a lot of them that are only guarded by gates, and you can spend levels on keys. That sets off a massive cascade of free or cheap power-ups interspersed with free or cheap feathers and levelling that only really ends when everything is dead.

I have no idea how the hell Wanton Spoon got gold, though - I was really happy with how my run went and still only got 762539/900000.

e: oh son of a bitch. I get it now, and it takes my score to 879854/900000. I think I'll try that again when I have a few more sunstones.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 27, 2020

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

What should I be aiming for on a pure nexus run of tactical tower K with 8 sunstones? I scraped a bronze last time with the persistent feeling that I was missing something important and silver might be possible. Wild guess ahoy: I think I might be somehow undervaluing the early game? I noticed my final life total was pretty low - around 80,000 - and I remember spending an awful lot of life on things like feathers and early key levels for later use with the treasure house. But if I give up too much in the way of stats then the final boss is going to murder me.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

24 hours played - time to buy the full game, methinks.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

John Lee posted:

To my eternal shame, I figured I'd give this strategy a shot. It seemed to be working well, but I had the same problem I had with three of my other four runs, details to follow: I just get cockblocked at what I HOPE is the last enemy, on floor 7, at the end of the gauntlet. Big badass Burgeoner in the lower left. I can kill all the enemies leading up to him, and then I just don't have enough HP (and sometimes Attack) to finish the job. The only thing I can think of is that I'm just not being efficient enough in my prior play, because I've had the same troubles every time. Getting any of the enemy-locked powerups on floor 7 mean a net loss of HP that isn't made up for by the powerups themselves (or the subsequent lack of HP-loss in the gauntlet), and opening the doors to the big bunch of powerups inside means leveling up a time or two for keys, since I'm largely drained - and lacking a couple levels of Attack on floor 6 leaves me with a dearth of HP as well.

Given all this, it's likely that I'm just missing some basic point about efficiency, but drat, bein' walled off sucks, y'know?

The big-rear end burgeoner ___is___ the last enemy. It's weird Arzaac's strategy isn't working for you, though - it's pretty similar to mine, which was at least good enough to get 376k (compared to 350k bronze threshold and 450k silver threshold) even after I hosed up the leveling a bit by underestimating how many keys I was going to need. Possible issue: Are you getting and spending your violet keys efficiently? You can afford to take the first few you get straight back to the treasure room on floor 4, and some of them might be from earlier floors. If you're doing things right in a "big picture" sense then you should be able to finish the tower fairly easily - it's getting the bronze that's the hard part.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Tactical tower mini down! :toot: My first run was a bad bronze, and I was wondering why my second run didn't go much better, when I realised that the score multiplier for ATK/DEF is 10, and you end up about level 80, so levelling ATK/DEF is just straight-up better than levelling HP from a score perspective unless you need to get past a specific enemy. So basically I'd played well right up until the point where I was able to steamroll everything and switched to levelling HP! Nice and easy to fix, though, as mistakes go. I think I could probably improve this to gold with some work, but I'm planning on finishing pure nexus runs of the first eight towers and then looping back to give myself a bit of breathing room with more sunstones.

I think the key to getting gold is the fact that feathers are way more valuable than crowns after the first two or three of each, because the effect of feathers grows exponentially while the effect of crowns grows linearly. Given that most of your points come from stat level ups rather than health, I think crowns are really only good for minimising the amount of levels you have to spend on HP - which means that you shouldn't be spending too much HP to get them, and you certainly shouldn't be spending levels on HP to rush them. It's the opposite mindset to tactical tutorial or tactical tower NEW, where most of your points come from HP and potions are plentiful. I realised this at the end of my last run, and I think if I'd realised it from the start I'd have gotten a lot closer to the 3 million mark.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Wanton Spoon posted:

I play in windowed mode specifically because I found myself unable to make the game work in fullscreen mode. I think I prefer windowed mode anyway, so I never looked into why.
This might be a stupid question, but how do you see? I massively prefer windowed mode because it lets me keep notes in another window, but the default window size is unreadably tiny on my 1920x1200 monitor and (as far as I can tell) can't be resized. I've had to resort to setting my resolution to 800x600 before I start the game.

(If the developers are reading this: I know there might be technical reasons why scaling is a pain, but I'd be happy with the crudest and most simple scaling possible - replacing each pixel by a block of 4 or 16 or 64.)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Congratulations! Now you can start playing the real game. :v:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I'm slowly continuing my pure nexus runs - I now have golds on tutorial 1, NEW, G and mini, silver on D which I'm hoping to turn into a gold today, and bronze on K. I think my issue with D is that every single level you can eke out at the end is worth 21k+ points, so it's worth paying just about any price in health to get your hands on a feather before you start killing all the low-level stuff. I wasn't aggressive enough on my last try, and I should have taken 12 levels of keys instead of 11 - taking one extra red key would have given me much faster access to a +3 ATK deck near the start, and let me open up that potion room with 10k health near the end.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Wanton Spoon posted:

With my 8 level-ups on keys I was still able to hit everything pretty early, and I was able to reach every powerup except the Life Potion and three Crimson Keys behind the platinum door in 8F. I can provide screenshots of which doors I opened, if you would like.
No thanks - I know I used a bunch of unnecessary keys, but I think I did it in a smart way except for that one mistake, so I want to see if this strategy can be made to work. Thanks for the offer though!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

OK, that failed miserably, but I think I see the problem now. My strategy this run was to try and kill almost no lower-level enemies at all until the very end. On one level, it worked splendidly - 15 sunstones is enough to pretty much just beeline for the feathers, and I ended up at level 62 compared to level 60 for my last run. I mathed it out and that came to about 96k points, counting the bonus from having a higher level for the nexus burgeoner. But it looks like I spent far too much extra life to do it, so I ended up with a lower score than last time. I think the sweet spot is to have just hit level 61, which allows me to "waste" 27395 EXP by killing enemies not on the critical feather path. If doing so allows me to save 120k life over my current route, then I get the gold. That sounds plausible given how much I spent on some of the later feathers. I'll take another look at my early key route too.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, when I got my gold on G I didn't touch the 20F stuff either. My levelling strategy was:

Start out by beelining for the bottom of the basement, stopping only for feathers. Be sure to pick your route carefully though, because the ending is really vicious and wasting a level-up on an inefficient path could screw you over. Then start looking for goodies, prioritising DEF over ATK at least to some extent. (If you can't get DEF high enough to be able to kill the final fighters with zero damage by the very end, you're probably not going to win.) Don't clear the whole of B6F, since a few of the rooms are lacklustre. Just get the best stuff, then start picking and choosing from elsewhere. You will definitely need to spend levels on HP to survive, so anything that lets you path towards dream drops or similar is a bonus, but try to frontload stats as much as you can for obvious reasons. The cache on B1F is pretty nice and should be a high priority once you've taken the immediately available good stuff, and I also found myself branching out a bit into B5F for those tasty attack and defense decks and into a couple of doors in B4F for a bit of cheap defence and healing. There are some level-up doors in the ending as well, but they're blocked by incredibly vicious monsters and it's a judgement call when to fight your way through.

Good luck!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Char posted:

Three times I try Tactical K, three times I stop at the corridor with the 4 different keys. I guess I'm not leveling up enough but I don't get what I'm getting wrong exactly, I get a bunch of keys in the first levels... and I end up being too weak once I get to that floor.
What's your situation with the other towers? K is much much harder than the other three in the demo - getting a bronze on that is harder than getting a gold on NEW or on tutorial 1.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Arzaac posted:

That's wild to me, because a Pure Nexus Bronze on K is seriously no sweat for me, but the tutorial gold still eludes me.
I got the tutorial gold with pure nexus - there's a trick to it. Try to avoid picking up any dream drops or heavenly potions until you have all, or almost all, of the crowns.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Huh, turns out Hitofude Dojo is nowhere near as horrifying as the first few floors led me to believe. Towards the end you're absolutely swimming in moves - you only need to be super-optimal on the early floors if you're going for gold.

I do not want to go for gold, especially in a pure nexus run. :ohdear:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I’m painfully close to a pure platinum on mini - I think I’ll go back to it after I’ve beaten P and tutorial 3.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, the crowns in Mini are way less valuable than the feathers, at least after the first one or two. Congrats on the platinum!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Culka posted:

I thought I was good in games like this, but I've only managed to complete 10 towers and haven't got better than silver in any of them. I guess the way to go is to start actually using the medals to get better ones.
Don't forget sunstones! A lot of the earlier towers (tutorial, NEW, and mini especially) are pretty doable to get pure gold on when you have 10+ sunstones, which it sounds like you do. I have yet to do an impure run, and here's my medal loadout:

(I'm currently doing a pure run of P, waiting for the other shoe to drop...)

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 7, 2020

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Well, the other shoe does drop on P, and it's a drat heavy shoe, but I managed to pull out a silver anyway. I'm fairly sure I could make that a gold if I optimised my route. And I finally joined the pure platinum club thanks to tactical tower mini! :woop:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

King of Bleh posted:

I feel like I need more specific guidance on completing tower G:

I can get to what seems like a pretty healthy state by the top of the tower, with my level in the mid 50s, ~200k hp, ~2100 attack, ~2200 defence. At this point I can backtrack and wipe out all the birds top to bottom with 640% XP multiplier and wring another handful of levels out, getting to 350k HP, ~2200 attack, ~2300 defense.

The problem from there is that this still feels extremely underpowered by the bottom. Even at this point, the final fighters are doing ~30k damage a piece, and there are very few stat bonuses left anywhere in the tower to improve on that number that don't involve fighting lots and lots of them.

I can't tell if I'm on track and just need to play very carefully from the midway point that I already have, or if there was some snowballing series of errors from the very beginning and I should've had lots more levels/stats/hp than I currently do by the midpoint.

I tried to switch to tutorial 3 for a change up, but that one seems outrageously hard after the first checkpoint as well.
It’s a bit hard to tell, but you might be in the right ballpark? The end of G gets really messy and you have to sequence things very carefully. You’ll need to spend a lot of level-ups at this point focusing on life rather than stats, getting drops of dream and similar, and eventually just suck it up and kill final fighters until they stop dealing damage to you. (A corollary: at this point you should be valuing DEF over ATK.) I think the first few final fighters I killed were doing around 30k - it’s surprising how fast that number drops.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Team Nexus have put up their Tactical Tower D early walkthough here if people are interested - it's much more newbie-focused than the W one.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Jester Mcgee posted:

I’ve gotten bronze or silver in every tower up to W, but I’m finding W super hard. Should I just move on to P or is it time to start going back and actually using these medals instead of doing only pure nexus runs?
W is pretty hard - I have a pure silver in it, and am currently trying for a 30-sunstone pure gold, but I think there are definitely easier things for you to go for at this point than either W or P. I'd actually recommend that instead of going to medal runs, you try and upgrade some of your previous pure runs. Pure silvers on G, tutorial 2 and the dojo, and pure golds on mini, tutorial 1, NEW and D, should all be pretty doable for you at this point, and that will give you enough sunstones to make pure runs of W and P pretty doable.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I just tried the ATK -> DEF build that Team Nexus suggested in their walkthrough video for W and failed miserably in the third transition. But it feels like you can't manage a pure gold without being able to kill the final fighters and slashers for zero damage, and going pure DEF from the start seems impossible. The key requirements being so incredibly tight doesn't help matters either. I'll try one more time tomorrow, then say "gently caress it" and move onto medal runs.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Wanton Spoon posted:

I've never actually looked at the walkthroughs that Team Nexus has posted, but my understanding is that that particular walkthrough is designed more for diamond-level Nexus Stage play rather than gold-level Pure Nexus play. I imagine the appropriate strategy differs a lot between the two.

Case in point, for my own pure gold, I went almost entirely DEF for my level-ups, but this was combined with relying heavily on using keys early and often to boost my ATK. You probably can't really afford to use your keys that early if you're planning on doing the Nexus Stage, but in a Pure Nexus run, you're kinda needlessly wasting HP otherwise. Even if you save up your keys, by the time you can afford to open any of those end-of-tower powerups, there's not really enough enemies left to justify it.
I can see spending red keys fairly liberally, but the blue keys in particular seem like they'd really repay being stingy if I could pull it off. Six of them can be traded in on 14F for a relatively early feather (and access to another feather via red keys), 27 of them can be traded in on 20F for an absolute fuckton of dream drops and continental potions, and then... that's it, unless I miscounted there aren't any more blue keys in the entire tower. And even though you won't get the feathers behind the yellow doors on 19F until towards the end of the tower, considering you'll be killing final fighters and final slashers for zero, that should still mean an awful lot of extra HP levels which will then be doubled by two eternal potions...

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Congratulations! I've still been trying to do absolutely everything possible in towers 1-11 without pop before I even take a look at it - equipment is scary enough by itself, never mind with the central conceit of pop thrown in...

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Wanton Spoon posted:

Disregard my previous message, after posting it I realized I forgot to try something and then I immediately got the moon medal on Pop.

Dramatic re-enactment: :negative:
Ah, a cunning interweaving of ATK and DEF level-ups of the sort that bespeaks true mastery. Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

There’s one tower where the best strategy is to just spend all your early levels on keys, get just enough stats to beat your way past one particular enemy and survive, then go up the staircase they were guarding and gorge yourself on all the tasty tasty power-ups and feathers. But that strategy is entirely intentional, and you won’t get a good medal without using it. Basically, there’s no such thing as cheese in this game - only good strategies and bad strategies, and skipping floors and enemies is often good strategy.

e: By the way, there’s no reason not to use sunstones - it still counts as a pure nexus run if you do.