Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Is there a way to see what the score multipliers are on each tower before reaching a clear square? I was surprised when I reached the top of Tactical Tower D and my attack and defense got 5x multipliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

rath posted:

As far as I've seen in the first 10 or so towers:

HP is always 1x
First clear icon is always 1x stats
Second clear icon is always 5x stats
Third clear icon is always 10x stats

Yep, I think you're right. Thanks!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

If only you got points at the end of towers for the number of blue keys you had. Then I'd have at least a gold everywhere!

:smith:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I think I just solved a big mystery in Tactical Nexus:

First, hover over a save slot arrow.

Second, press the opposite arrow key from your save slot. For example, if you're hovering over the left arrow, press the right arrow key.

Your currently selected save slot will change! If you pressed the right arrow, for example, your save slot will switch to the next one.

I've had a lot of "Wait, how did my save slot get there?" moments playing the game, and this I think clears up all of them. I assume it's an old UI concept that got rejected and was never cleaned up.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/TeamNexus12/status/1283261585817915393

Even though I haven't been playing lately, I still love the Team Nexus twitter account.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

There's something unmistakably "Tactical Nexus" about the sinking feeling you get 18 floors into a tower when you realize you haven't seen the Bad Clear Tile yet and you know reaching the top will get you either a bronze or nothing.

Tactical Tower G is much longer than I expected!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Would people be interested in a guide to Life Tactical Lord? It seems to have a reputation as very difficult, and I’ve heard people put it off until they have hundreds of sunstones, but I don’t think it’s really that bad. It’s nice and easy to overscore too, if you don’t die before you make it to the first clear.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The thing with W is that due to all the eternal potions doubling your health, errors tend to compound brutally. If you don't come out of floor 10 with a bunch of HP, you're going to get ground down and it will be difficult to make it out of 20f alive. It's one of the hardest towers in the base game.

There is a trick to your levels in W: you will have an easier time if you switch to def levels at some point, and then even later go back to attack. I think there is a Steam guide that describes when to do this. I personally did not know this when I played the tower for the first time, and it's very possible to clear without doing this, but it's certainly harder and you will definitely get destroyed by the 4th layer.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Funny, I have multiple moon medals and 200+ sunstones, and to me it feels like everyone in the Discord had thousands of sunstones and max medals everywhere :v: At least I still have my brand identity as “glorious bladeless claymore guy”.

That’s just the nature of a community discord though; the folks who talk a lot have been playing for over a year now. Everyone enjoys hearing new people talk about their impressions (and giving advice), so it’s not a bad thing, really.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

It’s genuinely incredible just how complex the towers in Chapter 5 are. Like, everything in the game is complex, but those ones are something else. Bonkers. I just finished Premium and I’m still reeling (and exhausted).

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

GetDunked posted:

Six month necrobump, but posts like this have me horrified. I just barely scraped my way to the second exit with a silver in Tactical Tower NEW, missing a lot of health optimization and such along the way, and it's just crazy overwhelming how much choice there is... And then the discord is going off about like magic spells and pickaxes and clowns and poo poo and I realize there's already 5 more chapters of this nonsense to get through :gonk:

The good news is that Chapter 5 is very intentionally a big spike in difficulty. The full design of the game has 10 chapters (if I remember correctly), so 5 serves as the conclusion to the first half; the last tower ("Dawn") is a massive, loving sendoff to the game. The earlier chapters are simpler than it is, and I suspect most of the later ones will be too.

The bad news is that, well. It's still insanely complicated. Although this is also good news, in a way.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Phigs posted:

Cool, the most fun I've had in this game so far was bashing my head against Tower K until I got a zero medal/stones silver. So knowing what's possible with zero medals/stones on other stages is something I'm interested in. Plat sounds insane, though it's such a small stage I could see throwing myself at the goal over and over now that I know it's possible.

K with zero resources was actually an early achievement by an early SA player that got everyone excited. Kefit, if I remember correctly.

For that G screenshot, it’s a dig tile, but the other half of the story is that Tactical Nexus is being cute (as they often are) and using a dig tile in a tower without much digging as a fancy lock and key. You’ll have to go elsewhere to progress in the tower. And G is famous for crushing players at the last second, so don’t feel too bad if it goes poorly.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Mescal posted:

i've been playing tactical nexus for days and what the gently caress is this

what's a map where a small number of medals/sunstones make a huge difference? i'm familiar with the first 3 maps, but haven't beat any of the others yet.

Tactical Nexus owns, it's like outsider art.

On another note, it's generally never worth spending medals unless doing so gives you access to the Nexus Stage, which is a bonus set of levels most towers have that can only be accessed by spending medals. After all, sunstones are good, and you only get sunstones by refraining from using medals. So you might as well ignore medals at first. (Don't ignore the Nexus, though: once in awhile there are things to be done there even without spending medals.)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Tactical Tutorial 3 is not a gentle introduction to anything, gently caress that tower lmao

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

That's something I always really liked about Tactical Nexus; a lot of the towers are based around really out-there and experimental ideas. It keeps the game fresh and interesting.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I love hitofude dojo and am glad I have the best possible medal there, gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The game has kind of gotten easier over time because there are new towers so you can get more resources before going back to the old towers. Of course the flipside is that some of the new towers are total bastards but oh well; some of them aren't that bad.

I agree that the idea of getting back into the game can be intimidating. It's a lot of game.