Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

i've been waiting for so long for another game like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Wanton Spoon posted:

You know, I'm curious what you and other players of Tendry's Tale actually make of this game, at least once you get far enough into it.

Now that i've played a bit (oh god i have 70 hours already) i feel qualified to provide a few opinions:

-in most of the towers of tactical nexus i've played, the primary obstacle is rare keys rather than boss monsters. progression in most holds in DROD RPG tended to be funneled into breakpoints at a boss at the end of each floor that allow you to get a feel for how well you're playing every step of the way. tactical nexus' focus on keys means that clever resource conversation can open up significant shortcuts in progression. the result is a way, way wider surface area of possible decisions you can make and directions you can go, despite the towers being much more compact than DROD RPG's holds. The complexity is good, but it can be unfortunate to be completely unsure of how well or poorly your run is going when you're three quarters of the way through and trying to figure out if spending a purple key early actually helped or not.

-i like DROD RPG's heavier emphasis on self contained puzzles. it helps that the engine it's built on was used to make one of the most complex puzzle game series of all time, but even when tactical nexus uses similar mechanics like trapdoor tiles or one way directional pads, it uses them for macro optimization puzzles more than for small scale trap rooms. it sounds like the orbs introduced in chapter four will bring in elements along those lines, so i'm excited to reach that part.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the new dlc has a bunch of new equipment and orbs designed for it. the newest tower focuses on the blizzard orb, which can be used to freeze rooms and preserve ice equipment between floors

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Tactical Lord 0 is the best tower for new players trying to fill out their sunstones. A platinum medal pure run is fairly easy without any sunstone investment or serious planning, and as soon as you can afford the nexus entry there's a route that can earn 60+ sunstones (although the steps needed are fairly convoluted). Just take a visit to Tactical Tutorial 3 first to get a somewhat more gentle introduction to the weapon/accessory system