Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Oh sweet, someone else is finally iterating on the Tower of the Sorcerer/DROD RPG formula. Extremely my jam, awful translation and pricing scheme hangups aside.

Looks like there are 6 more expansions coming over the course of about a year or so. That's... a lot of towers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I can't decide whether this game's UI is brilliant or terrible. In the levels themselves you have all of these neat quality of life things like infinite undo/redo, autosave slots, hitting space to see how you match up against the floor's enemies, all the (admittedly unlabeled) attack/defense math you could want, and that new memo feature they were just advertising. However, there still doesn't appear to be a way to, say, turn the music down or change the resolution for windowed mode.

I'm also a bit bewildered by the level naming convention. I get that "Tactical Tutorial 1" is probably a good place to start, but what exactly can I expect from "Tactical Tower G"? Or "D"?

Gripes aside it's a really fun resource puzzler and I'm glad I stumbled into it here :)

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Elswyyr posted:

I made a discord. Unsure if anyone would use it or care, and I have no idea how to admin a discord, but here it is: https://discord.gg/BYTegrg. Wanton Spoon, I copied your big strategy post in a channel there, of course attributed to you. I'll probably tweet it at the developer too.

Discord link is broken, think you have a stray . in there.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
It could be Stockholm syndrome, but I find myself starting to jam out to it after a few hours of puzzling at the same tower.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

nrook posted:

It’s genuinely incredible just how complex the towers in Chapter 5 are. Like, everything in the game is complex, but those ones are something else. Bonkers. I just finished Premium and I’m still reeling (and exhausted).

Six month necrobump, but posts like this have me horrified. I just barely scraped my way to the second exit with a silver in Tactical Tower NEW, missing a lot of health optimization and such along the way, and it's just crazy overwhelming how much choice there is... And then the discord is going off about like magic spells and pickaxes and clowns and poo poo and I realize there's already 5 more chapters of this nonsense to get through :gonk:

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Mainline DROD isn't anything like Tactical Nexus or other games in the Tower of the Sorcerer lineage, it's more of a turn based puzzle game where each room is a self contained puzzle* where you have to figure out how to kill all the enemies. At one point the developers did a spin off set in the same setting called DROD RPG which is similar to TN and its ilk. So the other DROD games aren't quite like this, but they're excellent puzzle games nonetheless and are definitely worth a look if you're at all a fan of puzzle games. I'd recommend starting with Gunthro and the Epic Blunder.

*Not always, but almost always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Oenis posted:

I bought this game when it first launched, but didn't get all that far:

Most towers I beat with the help of tutorials, but I dunno, that didn't feel very satisfying. How do I get good on my own at this game without following step by step guides? I never know if I should focus on attack, defense, or go with both. How do I best spend my metacurrency? I know that you should aim to pick up feathers as early as possible. There's always a ton of variables to tweak and this seems like a puzzle with a million pieces so I never know where and how to start.

If you haven't seen it yet I'd check out Wanton Spoon's guide that aims to answer just this, it was written a while back but still holds up pretty well as a primer I'd say.