Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I went further down in that Twitter feed, and:

Nice

Imagine, giving another goon friend your secret pro strats, or helping somebody out by giving them your step-by-step strategy to getting a Pure Gold, or letting them fill in the blanks themselves by giving them a note set that's just "1," "2," "3," etc., written on some key items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Just imagine when the paywall goes up, he's gonna be really confused.

Actually, if the Tactical Nexus developer is reading this thread, I have a message for them, in kinda weird language that I hope makes it through the machine translation:

Your plan for price is a bad one that is costing you a lot of money

Traditionally, Japanese PC games have high prices compared to Western ones, because the market is much smaller and usually more devoted. It took a long time to get Japanese developers to start translating and selling visual novels over here, because the perception was "Western fans don't buy them," but Western fans weren't buying them because they were like $70 plus international shipping. Now, games of the same quality can cost $30 or $40, and they're still translating and selling them because they're making more money!

When your game is on Steam, you have a market many times bigger than "every PC gamer in Japan." The market is global, and Steam will do a lot of advertisement for you, showing your game to other people who have a history of purchasing puzzle games! Steam wants your game to sell, because they get money, too.

Tactical Nexus is $15 right now, which is honestly about the right amount. Maybe the game could cost 20, or even 25 if you build up a lot of hardcore fans.

But your current plan to increase the price as time goes on is the exact opposite of what you should be doing.

When a big AAA game releases on Steam, watch what they do: for example, Doom Eternal and Red Dead Redemption 2 just released. As the months progress, they'll occasionally go on sale, and as time passes, the sale will be for bigger and bigger amounts. One might say "But if people know the game is going to be on sale later, won't they just wait until then to buy it? That's less money!" But that's wrong! Tons of market research has been done on this. There are two kinds of people who will buy your game for full price: people who really like and want your game, and rich people. By allowing your game to go on sale every so often, you're opening up the market to a bunch of people who would otherwise have never bought your game at all. Some people might but unsure for $20, but will buy for $15. And some people are poor, but still like cool games! Some people only have $10 to spare, some people only want to spend $5, and you can have money from all those people!

I bought your game (or, more accurately, will within the week, when I have money) because I really like it. But I get by on a bit over $700 USD a month, and if Tactical Nexus cost $40, I wouldn't have been able to buy it, because sometimes I like to eat food after I pay rent. Raising the price higher will limit the number of people who buy your game only the hardest of hardcore fans, and you're going to run out of those quickly. Starting moderate, and occasionally lowering the cost, will allow you to hit the ENTIRE market - I'd think, as a person who makes a game about efficient action, you'd understand that 10,000 $5 purchases are better than 1000 $20 purchases, even if you have to think about it differently.

Whew, alright, that was my public service announcement. If you actually read this, thank you.

Wanton Spoon posted:

I have gotten a gold medal in Tactical Tower NEW without using any Sun Stones or Medals (though I'd have to replay it to remember exactly how I did it). But yes, in most towers it's literally impossible to get medals of the highest ranks without spending some medals of your own. It should eventually become clear why this is the case once you start paying closer attention to the Nexus, but I won't spoil it yet.

I gotta say, I'm terrible at this game and expect my interest in progressing to slow to a crawl, but I really enjoyed the rollercoaster in Tactical Tower New.

"Hmmm, who wouldn't want a GLORY KEY? I dunno what I could possibly use it for, but I'll gently caress around for a bit."

"oh no
i am a drat fool"

"Well, it's a long shot, but maybe the Nexus can help me - oh poo poo the Nexus can help me!"

STRONGERS ARE WAITING :black101:

"I'm not strong enough to beat this guy anyways..." :negative:

I'm currently in a Dark Timeline where I optimized and refined in Tower NEW, but then I realized I had accidentally used a white key I needed, like a friggin' idiot, and the closest save file I had where I didn't use it was like two hours before, and I don't even know if that's an abandoned save file where I was trying a tactics that didn't work out. I'm not sure if I should just take the bronze and try again later, or what.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 23, 2020

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Wanton Spoon posted:

I'll refrain from making my own comments as stated, but since you were hoping they would, I'll just point out that the developers did respond to the comments on the pricing:

https://twitter.com/TeamNexus12/status/1253352428000497664

It's roughly translated, but it sounds like they're trying to say they only want people who really want/love the game to buy it, and that there's not a lot of point in trying to sell to people who can't truly get into it.

Which is fine as far as it goes, and I hope it goes well! I still think the game would reach a much wider audience at a lower price point, and fans create more fans - word-of-mouth is very important. Even the small amount reading and participating in this thread caused a noticeable spike in sales, right? People who would never have heard about the game are buying it, and people who would never have thought they'd like this sort of game are some of those people! When new people hear about the game, they tell other people, and with a niche game like this a lot of those will be misses - but SOME of those will be hits. It's exponential growth, am I right?

At the least, though, I'll be buying for sure, and telling my friends about it - it's just that it'll be a much harder sell when the buy-in is more than hundred dollars than right now.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Arzaac posted:

Whelp, you convinced me. I've always been looking for more stuff like Desktop Dungeons and this sounds right up my alley. Probably gonna buy this as soon as I'm done with work.

Also, is it just me or is the spritework very reminiscent of Chip's Challenge? It's something about the look of the tiles, and the colored keys matching colored doors.

It's bizarre, but also charming, how the dev is responding quickly to this specific thread.

https://twitter.com/TeamNexus12/status/1253434650510258177

Don't worry, though, guys, it's bedtime now.

https://twitter.com/TeamNexus12/status/1253450094453518336

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Arzaac posted:

Yeah, it does seem like in some towers your first run is doomed to failure, which sucks when they get super long.

Like, I hosed up my first run of Tactical Tower NEW because I mishandled my keys and proper use of your violet keys is absolutely vital for that one.

It sure as hell is. Update from last page: I went back to my prior save in TT NEW, and managed to eke out a silver. Things are looking bleak in Tactical Tower D now, but maybe I'll turn it all around and get a silver here, too? Third time's the charm!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Trip report: failed at Tactical Tower D, the first time I've failed to actually get to a clear segment. Just misprioritized, I suppose, although I THOUGHT I was doing alright. Once more unto the breach!

edit: I'm presuming that the lack of an HP% scale means there's no heart crowns in this stage at all? Took me quite a while to twig to that.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 25, 2020

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure Burgeoner is an accurate translation of the Japanese term!

1a : to send forth new growth (such as buds or branches) : sprout

2 : to grow and expand rapidly : flourish

It's just that nobody who speaks English would ever use it, and one could argue that it's improper grammar as well; you're the one who burgeons, not the enemy, although it could also be "one who causes/works on burgeoning," like a gardener. Any other word would likely end up a bit poetic, like "expanders," or even "farmers." "Bloomers" would work if it weren't for, you know.

Oh, and it occurs to me that this post might not make much sense if people haven't noticed that burgeoners give a bunch of extra EXP? That's their purpose, they're EXP nuggets.

edit: oh, and Strix: maybe try the game this is based on, Tower of the Sorcerer? It'll make for good training! Here's the English site:

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013374/game/egame0.html

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Also I don't recommend clearing out that floor (or many floors, in fact) when you reach it, I left most of the stuff there and came back later. If you want one of the things in the boxes, you can try and find a safe way to get there (pro tip: opening the yellow-key doors on the corners of the boxes/rooms lets you walk around otherwise badass enemies)

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Char posted:

Tactical Tutorial D down, bronze. Onwards!

I came to post pretty much the same! It was tricky, but shorter than I expected in the end.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I tried demo tower K (for keys, presumably) and it's looking like it'll be another one I fail on my first try. A bit of a bummer, but I knew I'd fall behind eventually... I was just hoping it would be, you know, out of the tutorials.

I'm thinking I should take some early hits in order to really bulk up in the treasure house, but I don't know how viable that is in practice. I guess I'll see in a few days!

And in a day or so past that, I'll have money to actually buy the game! For now, well...

...I'll just wait.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Wanton Spoon posted:

Tactical Tower K made me give up on that premise. I tried multiple times with a variety of approaches and never got anything better than a bronze.

My current Pure Nexus rank in Tactical Tower K is just barely a silver, and that's with 35 Sunstones.

That's good to know, I guess; I've made three attempts at a Pure run of K now, and the first one stalled pretty late, the second was an abortive attempt at some crazy stuff that didn't go well, and the third just stalled in the middle of those two.

I want to save my keys until the big treasure room (oh uh spoilers for the unenlightened there's a big treasure room), but drat do they make it tricky to look for optimal routes before then. I got pretty far along, but was thousands of HP short of being actually able to grab the platinum key blocking my path to the treasure room, even after giving up on my principles and taking two levels in Attack.

I seem to do the best when I just play it by ear; attempting to actually figure out the most optimal path causes the universe to open up before me, blooming fractals shimmering in a Caribbean heat-haze as my pupils dilate.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Fuuuuuck, Tower K why you do these things to me

I'm gonna have to take notes and do math, aren't I? Aren't I!?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Arzaac posted:

So for what it's worth, I've managed about 40,000 short of the silver on Tower K Pure Nexus with about 10 sunstones.

If you wanna know my general build, I start with 12 levelups dedicated to keys: 5 red, 5 blue, 2 yellow. Pretty much everything after that is spent on attack. First priority goes to aggressively getting feathers on the first two floors, including spending the violet on the upper left corner of floor 2. Getting the platinum on floor 4 is tricky, generally involves picking up every powerup item except the strip at the bottom on floor 3, and I typically end with one or two thousand HP left. It's not really a problem because in the treasure room you can immediately pick up a bunch of good stuff including some potions. After you hit this room the rest of the tower is pretty easy.

To my eternal shame, I figured I'd give this strategy a shot. It seemed to be working well, but I had the same problem I had with three of my other four runs, details to follow: I just get cockblocked at what I HOPE is the last enemy, on floor 7, at the end of the gauntlet. Big badass Burgeoner in the lower left. I can kill all the enemies leading up to him, and then I just don't have enough HP (and sometimes Attack) to finish the job. The only thing I can think of is that I'm just not being efficient enough in my prior play, because I've had the same troubles every time. Getting any of the enemy-locked powerups on floor 7 mean a net loss of HP that isn't made up for by the powerups themselves (or the subsequent lack of HP-loss in the gauntlet), and opening the doors to the big bunch of powerups inside means leveling up a time or two for keys, since I'm largely drained - and lacking a couple levels of Attack on floor 6 leaves me with a dearth of HP as well.

Given all this, it's likely that I'm just missing some basic point about efficiency, but drat, bein' walled off sucks, y'know?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

pumpinglemma posted:

The big-rear end burgeoner ___is___ the last enemy. It's weird Arzaac's strategy isn't working for you, though - it's pretty similar to mine, which was at least good enough to get 376k (compared to 350k bronze threshold and 450k silver threshold) even after I hosed up the leveling a bit by underestimating how many keys I was going to need. Possible issue: Are you getting and spending your violet keys efficiently? You can afford to take the first few you get straight back to the treasure room on floor 4, and some of them might be from earlier floors. If you're doing things right in a "big picture" sense then you should be able to finish the tower fairly easily - it's getting the bronze that's the hard part.

That spoilered bit might be relevant? I'll see how it goes, because I'm heading into the breach one last time! After tomorrow or the day after I'll have some cash, and that means I'll be working with the FULL GAME, and if that happens I'll move on to another tower for a bit.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

The resolution issues are actually my biggest problem with the game; changing the resolution so drastically resizes all my other windows to tiny-size when I open the game in fullscreen.

Possibly-related: I also found a way to mute the game: plug in an HDMI cable to my laptop, set it to extend the desktop, and play it on the big screen. No sound plays! It's not the only indie game to have this problem, either - no idea what causes it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Well, I finally was able to pick up the full game. Now, I'll be playing it real slowly, because I got other stuff goin' on, and other games I want to play right now, but I'll be back to make note of my miniscule progress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Tactical Tower Mini goal reached! I got a silver medal, not too bad for my second try.