Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013
I can't believe I played the demo for like 13 hours. I assume the mechanics get a bit more interesting with things like equipment and accessories? Not that the items, stats and enemies in the first 4 towers aren't interesting but I'm just curious if I get a taste of these with the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013
This game is hosed. It's crack.

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013

Wanton Spoon posted:

Yeah, just take a break from it for a while. I didn't get the gold on that tower until after I'd already tried most of the others, myself. It can help to gain a broader perspective on how the flow works for all towers in general.

And, like, now that I've played through Tactical Tower G however many times, I think I understand what I have to do to get the diamond, but it's so unintuitive to how I prefer to play, and I'm so sick of retrying the tower at this point, that I think I just want to go back to other towers for a while. So I'm in kind of the same position you are now, and I've been in it before, and I expect to be in it again in the future. It ties back into the Getting Over It aspect of the game (if Getting Over It let you give up on one mountain and move to a different one for a while).

Towers 11 and 12 in the base game use weapons and accessories, but to a limited degree. Tower 11 (Tactical Tutorial 3) is intended to be the introduction to equipment, so nothing particularly complex happens with them, but you do get a better understanding of their importance in towers where they exist. Tower 12 (Pop Tactical Lord) is the boss tower of the base game, way, WAY harder to figure out than any of the other towers, and as a result, it's not really a good tower for coming to a better understanding of how equipment works. There's just way too many other things going on.

Chapter 3 is definitely the "equipment" chapter. The first tower in that game (Sword Tactical Lord) is a much more natural extension of the lessons you start learning in Tactical Tutorial 3, and the remaining towers experiment with equipment in the same way that towers in the base game experiment with regular mechanics.

But yes, equipment adds a new layer of complexity to the game. As I mentioned, it's still building on the same basic concepts I described in my survival guide, but it gives you more opportunities to be clever with how you achieve those basic goals--and it expects you make full use of those opportunities.

The way equipment works is that each piece of equipment has its own stat boost associated with it, and that stat boost increases every time you gain a level. For example, if you're level 1 and have the Standard Sword equipped, the Standard Sword will give you +3 ATK. If you're level 2, it will give you +6 ATK instead, and if you're level 3, it will give you +9 ATK. This is true whether you've had the Standard Sword equipped the whole time, or whether you pick it up for the first time at level 3; it gives you +9 ATK either way. However, if you ever trade in the Standard Sword for a different weapon, you'll lose that +9 ATK bonus and replace it with whatever stat boost is associated with the new weapon. Equipment disappears when you replace it, so you can't come back and get that same Standard Sword later (but there might be extra copies of that weapon throughout the tower).

That's all the Standard Sword does, but several weapons have a unique additional property. For example, the Giant Slayer (shown in the OP) notes that it increases your ATK by +1 every time you defeat a giant. A "giant" is any enemy with a level higher than your own. Also, it's increasing your ATK, not the weapon's, which means that if you ever trade in the Giant Slayer for a different weapon, you keep all the extra ATK you gained from slaying giants. Some pieces of equipment enhance the effectiveness of item pickups, some pieces of equipment give you new options for what you can do on level-ups, there's some neat features in there.

Thanks for that!

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013
drat Tower K. I get within 20000 life points of what I assume is the last major enemy. I seem to be missing like one purple key to be able to open all the purple doors which would do it. I've tried a bunch of different setups.

Note: I'm trying to do it without spending medals and sunstones.

Edit: Wait, I assume there is no downside to using sunstones?

Tremis fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 28, 2020

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013
Lol, I already beat it by realizing I had used a purple key where I didn't need to. Scored under bronze though. I have a better idea what to do perhaps. I only used 2 sunstones.

drat, by your advice I feel like I missed some crucial learning experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013

John Lee posted:

Fuuuuuck, Tower K why you do these things to me

I'm gonna have to take notes and do math, aren't I? Aren't I!?

I did not have to do this.

Edit: defer to the below as I did not get a medal.

Tremis fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 28, 2020