Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Whelp, you convinced me. I've always been looking for more stuff like Desktop Dungeons and this sounds right up my alley. Probably gonna buy this as soon as I'm done with work.

Also, is it just me or is the spritework very reminiscent of Chip's Challenge? It's something about the look of the tiles, and the colored keys matching colored doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, it does seem like in some towers your first run is doomed to failure, which sucks when they get super long.

Like, I hosed up my first run of Tactical Tower NEW because I mishandled my keys and proper use of your violet keys is absolutely vital for that one.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, my first Mini run failed horribly. Every sector felt like I was doing okay except for the last one, where I was just hemorrhaging health.

I'm not too sure what I should be doing differently. I know I messed up getting a heart potion or two. Maybe my stat build needs to be different too, it's probably worth seeing if I can do it without ever putting points in health. Or maybe only at the end so I've got a buffer to kill the final boss? Idk.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I figured it out, and what triggered it for me was the concept of spending levels on HP is a tempo play: not as good long term, but excellent when you need to kill just one thing. As it turns out, mini has a lot of situations where killing a high level enemy will give you many more levels than the levels you spend on killing them, plus also a feather or heart.

Only got a bronze though, but I think if I tried again I could manage at least silver.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think this game definitely has its hooks in me at this point, I'm like 5 towers in and I'm already eyeing the towers I already did, like, I can do these better, surely...

Although your claims of Pure Nexus gold on the first 3 towers baffle me. Silver's easy enough, but I've been going back and doing the first tower trying for gold and it's drat hard. I can get like, halfway between silver and gold? I guess I'll just need to keep throwing myself against the wall.

Also, unrelated side note: what is a "Burgeoner" even supposed to be? Is it like, Dungeoneer? That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 25, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh huh, I never knew. Google translate can teach you some new things, I guess.

At any rate, I feel like a less direct translation would work better, just to reflect what they do. Maybe something like "scholar".

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm looking at your Tutorial clear and One million health? Seriously!? I can get to like, maybe 700,000 by the end of it. I'm honestly not sure how you're doing that, it feels like there isn't that much health in the tower. Even trying to follow your advice about saving HP, I seriously can't even fathom what I'd have to do in order to manage that.

Great game though, I should probably just play other towers instead of banging my head against this wall.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Finished Tower G with a bronze, and boy, if that tower doesn't just throw everything you know about the game on its head.

I figured out where the second clear location is way too late. Ended up having to make suboptimal moves because I wasted my early keys and needed to get violets and platinum from somewhere, which resulted in me taking a lot of damage.

I wanna try it again but I feel like I need to be way more focused this time. And waste less keys on lovely locks.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Well, I got a Gold Pure Nexus on Tactical Trip Mini. Honestly, it feels really good. Feels like I've learned a lot!

The trick is, as it turns out, to bum rush all the feathers as quickly as possible. Grab HP levels when they'll get you to a feather quicker. The more you can do this, the more levels you end up gaining.

Also, a fun trick for basically any tower, there's usually at least one Burgeoner in the Nexus. Sometimes that bit of EXP can get you out of a tricky situation; it definitely was the difference between silver and gold for me.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Quick Question about sunstones: is the amount of sunstones you get from a tower equal to your best pure nexus run + your highest scoring run, or does it take the higher number of the two? I really just don't know how those score overflow sunstones work and I'm not anywhere close to finding out for myself.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It probably hasn't happened yet because it's pretty obscure. It doesn't really have any marketing going on and it's barely translated, so I can see why nobody's heard of it. Hell, I really don't know how Wanton Spoon found out about it.

Speaking of, congratulations, Spoon! You basically single handedly created the English community for Tactical Nexus, that's gotta feel pretty good.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So for what it's worth, I've managed about 40,000 short of the silver on Tower K Pure Nexus with about 10 sunstones.

If you wanna know my general build, I start with 12 levelups dedicated to keys: 5 red, 5 blue, 2 yellow. Pretty much everything after that is spent on attack. First priority goes to aggressively getting feathers on the first two floors, including spending the violet on the upper left corner of floor 2. Getting the platinum on floor 4 is tricky, generally involves picking up every powerup item except the strip at the bottom on floor 3, and I typically end with one or two thousand HP left. It's not really a problem because in the treasure room you can immediately pick up a bunch of good stuff including some potions. After you hit this room the rest of the tower is pretty easy.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I only got a bronze in Tower G, and I'm not sure I wanna go back.

That tower just takes forever, and leveling up requires much more thought than any other tower. It burns me out a little.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I just completely muted Tactical Nexus altogether and listen to my own music.

Because man, I really cannot stand that music.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

pumpinglemma posted:

Congratulations! Now you can start playing the real game. :v:

I feel like there are at least 7 different points where you could say that and it would be relevant in this game.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, I haven't gotten a star on Tower G yet, but I'm assuming that what you need to do is beeline to the bottom of the basement ASAP, only detouring for feathers. 20F is a complete trap. Haven't figured out whether it's better to break into the last basement levels with normal keys or level-up keys, though

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've been running the Dojo for a little bit and...I think I just don't like this stage at all. The whole anchor gimmick means that there's just a whole lot more going on, and it feels way easier to strand yourself in ways that really just aren't possible in the other towers.

Think I might just skip it for now and come back later.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I went to sleep, woke up, finished my run with a Pure Nexus silver on Dojo. I'm still not a big fan of the tower tbh, but at least I got something out of it. I'll come back later with a whole stockpile of medals.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

That's wild to me, because a Pure Nexus Bronze on K is seriously no sweat for me, but the tutorial gold still eludes me.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I dont think a platinum is that out of reach for me, I just need to find the time to keep playing.

Notably, I finally managed a pure nexus gold on Tutorial 1, and I think I'm maybe another medal or two away from platinum there.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I just got my first platinum, and it was a Pure Nexus on Mini!

I get the feeling that Mini is possible to Pure Nexus with a really low number of Sunstones, but I managed it with about 19? I needed most of those as well; I got like, 6000 score higher than the requirement, so I really just barely skated by.

But hey, first platinum being a pure nexus run feels really great.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So I finally finished Tower P, which means I've got a clear on every tower except for Tactical Lord in the base game! Honestly, this was easier than W. Not sure why I put this off for so long; I think I was just intimidated by sphere grid + pop tiles, but it turned out pretty okay. Got a pure nexus silver without much problem, though a gold seems pretty far off so I'm content abandoning the tower for now.

Having done that, I decided to really take a solid look at Pop Tactical Lord and WHAT? What the hell is going on here!? You only get one chance on each floor, but it doesn't really seem like any of them are decent starting floors. I really don't want to dip in and only do about 25% of a floor before retreating, but I'm not really sure what else I can do.

After looking at it for a bit, it seems like floor 5 works pretty well, because it's got a bunch of low damage rangers I can kill. But still, this tower hurts. Is it smart to just abandon pure nexus and use all my medals trying for a basic clear? I'm feeling like that might be necessary...

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I did end up doing Tutorial 2 today and got a gold. Definitely agree, that was a very easy nexus stage. If you can get a silver doing pure nexus, getting the gold doesn't even really require any special strategy, just keep doing the stage and you'll hit it. At least that's what my run felt like.

And at least for me, that requirement feels much easier than the nexus stage requirement for K. You can pretty reasonably get those 8 medals just running through the chapter 1 and 2 towers doing pure nexus; seems like to get more platinum I'll need to do some heavy medal runs.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Hmmm, I might give it a try, though I think overall I'm still just addicted to Tactical Nexus.

Quick question I notice it mentions metagame puzzles, but from how they're describing it it sounds more like "you must take actions outside the game to progress". It doesn't have the same sort of "come back to old levels with more metagame currency to do them better" that Tactical Nexus does, does it?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

W is definitely a tricky one. It's one that I still have a pretty low medal (silver I think?) just because I've been putting off going back.

Though it's not like I'm that far into the game. I've got like, 1 diamond? Seems like everyone on the discord is at like multiple moon medals and 200+ sunstone. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I much prefer keyboard and mouse but I could see a controller layout working.

I'm thinking something like, put the 5 levelup options on the shoulder buttons + triangle, then maybe maps on square and nexus stage on circle? Something like that.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Phigs posted:

Was this with or without badges? (just asking for when I try for it myself)

FWIW tactical trip mini is one of the towers you can get a platinum on without any medals or sunstones; for myself, personally, I got the platinum with around 20 sunstones.

Oenis posted:

Most towers I beat with the help of tutorials, but I dunno, that didn't feel very satisfying. How do I get good on my own at this game without following step by step guides? I never know if I should focus on attack, defense, or go with both. How do I best spend my metacurrency? I know that you should aim to pick up feathers as early as possible. There's always a ton of variables to tweak and this seems like a puzzle with a million pieces so I never know where and how to start.

This is a pretty difficult question to answer, mostly because it changes almost constantly. In general, especially early on, it's worth raising your attack because you save a lot of health going from 10 turns to kill to 2 turns; on the other hand, a lot of towers its smart to start picking defense near the end because it takes a lot of attack to take no damage from enemies, and comparably a lot less defense.

For spending metacurrency you probably want to continue just using sunstones, so that you can get more sunstones. It's usually pretty safe to dump them all in attack, for the reasons outlined above. Though for some towers (and once you get enough sunstones) it might be more beneficial to go defense.

Lastly, for feathers and hearts, well, it depends? No, seriously, towers tend to have different values for hearts and feathers that makes one more optimal than the other; in Tactical trip mini, for example, feathers literally double your exp mod and are the better choice by far.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

They've transcended, they're on a different plane from us mere mortals.

I'm still not sure why they talk about clowns all the time. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I recently got back into this because somebody carelessly mentioned it the RPG thread, which means I'm gonna lose another 100 hours of my life to it.

I'm still not very far, honestly; I've done all of chapters 1+2 except for Pop Tactical Lord, and I've got 3 platinums (+ a solid number of golds and silvers). Probably gonna work on upgrading my lower tier medals a bit, get a handful more sunstones, and maybe finally beat Pop Tactical Lord? Maybe I can start tackling chapters 3, 4, and 5, which I bought and then promptly never played. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

An Actual Princess posted:

definitely don’t feel like you have to do them in order; several of the chapter 3 and 4 are approachable at low suns. also don’t forget about the free towers way at the bottom of the list, especially beach, which is completely doable at zero medals or suns and can be very rewarding

I mean I know you're right, but it's way more comfy revisiting an old tower and trying to optimize it than starting up a brand new tower. :v:

I'll give beach a shot after I upgrade my bronze medal in W, I promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Scrree posted:

I think one of my favorite aspects of this game is the way that looking at other people's runs can be productive in unexpected ways.

For example, I was feekling lost on what to do next and ended up watching this guys no sunstone pure platinum Tactical Tower W run. While I could copy his moves exactly to get a couple more sunstones, what actually happened was that I kept thinking "What would I do differently if I started the run with a bunch of medal power ups but played for the nexus clear?"

Eventually enough "Oh, that was a neat tactic, I'll try that next time." and "I wouldn't be able to spend those two yellows key here, but I could make up for it by opening that red door..." built up to form a rough gameplan. And it worked! I went from a low 30mil plat to just squeaking the diamond clear with 52mil. It's my 2nd diamond, which means I can finally open the Tactical Tutorial nexus stage. It's exciting and it feels so satisfying that I got there through taking in someone else's observations and genuinely building off of them with my own theorization.

oh my god i never even thought about skipping the floor 15 eternal back into w i go