Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
spent the weekend in chicago for the cure concert

it was midnight and the wife suddenly demanded food

she decided she wanted canes, there was only one open till 1am, and it was a 30 minute drive 9 miles away. i couldnt fathom how it could take that long, but you're either hitting a stop sign or a stop light every other block. anyway, we made the trip, went inside, and had awesome chicken.

when we went to our car in the lot, i saw a weird building that kinda had a cool lighting to it, so I went to take a picture of it. as I was framing the shot, some white car with blacked out windows pulls up about 30' away between me and the building and just sat there blocking the shot. i tilted my head sideways like a 'what the gently caress are you doing' look and they still sat there. couldnt see anyone. decided I didnt want to push my luck at 1am in the middle of nowhere downtown chicago and got in the car. then they started circling the lot slowly. creepy fuckers.

thats my Canes in Chicago story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

There are some extremely zealous parking lot towing operations that will tow your car if you step foot off the property so it might have been the owner of the towing operation scouting your car. There’s a McDonald’s near me in Chicago that’s notorious for this, a spotter for the towers just sits in the parking lot all day and there are signs on adjacent businesses warning not to park at the McDonald’s.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Makes more sense, as the lot I was parked in wasn't part of Canes.

Still creepy as gently caress at 1am.

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK
A lot of these places just opened near me and they are pretty mediocre that is my review.

They made the beer gay and I said ok, who cares? Apparently my neighbor Keith.

SASS-F9CF7

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i dont like your review

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

i like raising canes theres so many choices on teh menu. you can choose the box combo. OR the bix box combo, which is like the box combo but buigger. or u can get the sandwich. which is like the box combo but with 2 buns. So many great things to choose from

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Dave's sauce is slightly better than Canes, but both are inferior to Shack Sauce. Dave's cheese fries are almost as good as Shake Shack's, but their mac and cheese isn't as good as Church's. Dave's tenders are better than Canes, Dave's obviously brines, but both are really good. I got the 'hot' spice level and they had ok heat. One Dave's tender is equivalent to about 2 Canes tenders.

This reads like a math word problem, dammit.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hey Canes you suck, you’re the chicken version of Sonics. Inland Empire garbage

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 5, 2023

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

the chicken is moist and perfectly cooked but bland. the sauce is okay. the fries are garbage.

----------------

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I have returned from the Post Malone Dallas Cowboys Raising Canes. I ordered my Box Combo The Posty Way™. I don't know what I was supposed to do with the salt and pepper packets; perhaps the fries, which were worse than usual. I did not get to see the merchandise vending machine but there was a suit of medieval armor for some reason. I formally support other fast food restaurants teaming up with celebrities I don't know and/or sports teams to make weird museums. Thank you, I yield the rest of my time.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
had some last night and it was good, but we noticed the tenders are smaller now the past 2 times we've gone. they've shaved maybe 25% of them off.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Friend posted:

I have returned from the Post Malone Dallas Cowboys Raising Canes. I ordered my Box Combo The Posty Way™. I don't know what I was supposed to do with the salt and pepper packets; perhaps the fries, which were worse than usual. I did not get to see the merchandise vending machine but there was a suit of medieval armor for some reason. I formally support other fast food restaurants teaming up with celebrities I don't know and/or sports teams to make weird museums. Thank you, I yield the rest of my time.

"worse than usual"!? usually those things are school cafeteria grade. sorry for your loss.

i like the blue lights though.

----------------

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i thought it was a culver's at first so it's a major improvement

----------------

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

i say swears online posted:

The outside of the top picture does sort of look like a Culvers, but I would take Culvers over Canes the vast majority of the time.

Canes does like 2 things right (the sauce, and how they cook, but not exactly how they season, their chicken) and that's about it.

Culvers does way more things right.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

i say swears online posted:

what da gently caress!!!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

"worse than usual"!? usually those things are school cafeteria grade. sorry for your loss.

i like the blue lights though.

Yeah, they were packed (yesterday was the opening and they still had three cops hanging around for security) so I don't really blame them but the fries needed at least a few more minutes in the fryer, they were way undercooked. Usually the fries are at least good for mopping up the last of the sauce but I threw them and my extra sauce out.

One love chicken fingers.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Twenty Four posted:

The outside of the top picture does sort of look like a Culvers, but I would take Culvers over Canes the vast majority of the time.

Canes does like 2 things right (the sauce, and how they cook, but not exactly how they season, their chicken) and that's about it.

Culvers does way more things right.

culvers spicy tenders >> cane's tenders it's true

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
mehh. culvers tenders are okay, but canes are way next level

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

So they are opening a Canes about an hour away from me. Is it worth the trip? There are plenty of decent options around 15-20 minutes away.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

A 2 hour round trip for chicken tenders? Absolutely not lmao

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Anderson Koopa posted:

So they are opening a Canes about an hour away from me. Is it worth the trip? There are plenty of decent options around 15-20 minutes away.

i think you might be disappointed. haha

----------------

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
canes is great when it's nearby especially because they have the single fastest drive thru of any place i've ever been (which they should when you're so committed to only selling one goddamn thing that you can't even have a spicy tendy) so it's legitimately fast food

but if you drive more than ten minutes it's extra not worth it because the fries have a shelf life of whenever your grandmother was born

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Anderson Koopa posted:

How do you feel about high quality, unseasoned, flavorless chicken tenders with a really good sauce, excellent Texas toast and absolutely nothing else worth talking about?

If you find yourself in the area go for it, don't make a special trip.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Q_res posted:

How do you feel about high quality, unseasoned, flavorless chicken tenders with a really good sauce, excellent Texas toast and absolutely nothing else worth talking about?

If you find yourself in the area go for it, don't make a special trip.

Thank you for the recommendation, work may take me out that way at some point. I'll wait and see if the stars align.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The sauce is only remarkable because you have to use it

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The sauce is only remarkable because you have to use it

I really, really like the sauce but you're not exactly wrong.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
One opened in our town about 6 months ago. We went twice and I really haven't had any desire to go back. A Dave's Hot Chicken opened about a month later and they are great, though. Their sauce is better than Dave's but not actually required to enjoy the chicken. Although it's good with the fries.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's not worth an hour drive. The chicken is pretty good, though. It's juicy, and while the breading isn't as seasoned as Popeyes, it's better than KFC, and leagues better than Chick-fil-A which has zero seasoning - no pepper or anything at all. Dave's Hot Chicken here is a bust. We've tried them twice now and.. eh. Probably never going again.

tabasco_hijikata
Apr 12, 2024

Can you weaklings handle tabasco?

Made from tabasco peppers, vinegar and salt.

Tabasco products are sold in more than 195 countries and territories, and packaged in 36 languages and dialects.
Raising Cane's used to be good. Tenders were much bigger, sauce container was bigger..

back when it was a Louisiana thing.

now the tenders get soggy and hella small. They done sold themselves

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Our isn't like that at all. We've been going maybe once a month since they opened last year and the tenders are large, breading is solid/crispy, and the chicken juicy. Maybe not as large as when they first opened, but I dont feel cheated for what we pay. The sauce is more than enough for the tenders and fries, and I dunk the poo poo out of everything. We usually have leftovers.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 23, 2024

tabasco_hijikata
Apr 12, 2024

Tabasco products are sold in more than 195 countries and territories, and packaged in 36 languages and dialects.

Philthy posted:

Our isn't like that at all. We've been going maybe once a month since they opened last year and the tenders are large, breading is solid/crispy, and the chicken juicy. Maybe not as large as when they first opened, but I dont feel cheated for what we pay. The sauce is more than enough for the tenders and fries, and I dunk the poo poo out of everything. We usually have leftovers.

Where are you located?

oh nvm Chicago. Interesting.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

had canes last night and yeah, our local one has gotten super lovely. like on a food level it's just fine, i won't spit it out or anything, but it used to be huge, juicy, well seasoned and now we get a lot more overcooked and small tenders that are not worth the like 30% price hike over the last couple of years

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Nikumatic posted:

well seasoned

I've only had Cane's a handful of times, but I don't remember the chicken ever being all that well seasoned.

Yeah the sauce is tasty, and while the chicken at least used to be decent size and quality (not sure recently or by location), the chicken seasoning wise never stood out to me on its own.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

well the seasoning was mostly like salt and pepper, but mostly it wasn't TOO salty and it tasted just fine to eat by itself. now there's no choice but to slather it in the sauce for flavor.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Oh yeah I'm no spice fiend or anything close to it, but as I have said in this thread before and others have agreed, I always thought Cane's seasoning was unremarkable at best, with the sauce doing the heavy lifting.

However I haven't had it in a while, so if it managed to go downhill from there, well I'm not sure what to say, lol.

tabasco_hijikata
Apr 12, 2024

Yeah location probably definitely matters.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It's all been downhill since they dropped the box from five fingers to four.

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

i like cains but i dont like in teh drive thru when they open with whatever weird bullshit like "wicky wicky u want some chicky" or some poo poo. just ask me what i want and ill tell u. hint: its chicken

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
What? Mine doesn’t do this, thank god.
I’d just say “nevermind” and drive on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

eightysixed posted:

What? Mine doesn’t do this, thank god.

Your local Cane's is being reported to corporate headquarters for failure to comply with Mandatory Fun Protocols. Violators will be subject to re-education.