Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just finished The Prisoner and the final two episodes were absolutely brilliant so it's so funny to compare those highs with PMG's lows with commodore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

FYI it seems the entire series is on Tubi:
https://tubitv.com/series/300006728/columbo

Wow having only a few episodes per season really lets you plow through things, I was already up to The Commodore :barf:

I tried to pay closer attention and give it an honest 2nd shot, some live watch notes:

-The cuts are already weird and jumpy, and every commercial break just slams to a black screen.
-Big chunk of the opening is a direct rip of Requiem for a Fallen Star, impersonating someone on a boat to make it look like they're still alive.
-Oh yeah Falk is high as gently caress in this :2bong: The second he shows up he's doing everything half speed. Before Falk was an actor he was in the merchant marines, maybe he thought he could just sleepwalk through a boat-based episode?
-:lol: them clowncaring into Columbo's little French thing. First time we see it with the top down I think.
-Loving this scene with people screaming dialogue at each other over industrial shipyard noises.
-Watch Columbo try to cross his legs for 2 minutes :thumbsup:
-Out there on the dock playing Daily Jumble with those stencils.
-This final 'gather in the drawing room' scene is torture.
-Rows off into the sunset :wave:

Still probably the most experimental episode I've seen. Definitely won't ever be a favorite, but if you're in a patient mood it isn't complete garbage the way I once thought.

I always thought the Commodore episode was extremely funny, the final scene with all of them gathered together could've been done a little better writing wise though (" tisn't "). Non-Irish Detective Mac, the 4 of them squeezed into the Peugeot, the screaming, the mizzen-boom jive.
The row off in sunset I believe is due to thinking that was going to be the final episode of Columbo, hence the experimental nature of it as well/trying to do something a little different. The Columbophile community hates the episode.

I was not aware of The Prisoner definitely watching that now.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

knox posted:

I always thought the Commodore episode was extremely funny, the final scene with all of them gathered together could've been done a little better writing wise though (" tisn't "). Non-Irish Detective Mac, the 4 of them squeezed into the Peugeot, the screaming, the mizzen-boom jive.
The row off in sunset I believe is due to thinking that was going to be the final episode of Columbo, hence the experimental nature of it as well/trying to do something a little different. The Columbophile community hates the episode.

Oh yeah, definitely watch The Prisoner. Go in knowing as little about it as possible if you can.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Payndz posted:

Oh yeah, definitely watch The Prisoner. Go in knowing as little about it as possible if you can.

I wish I could do this again, it's a wild ride!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Was thinking about this show again today. Something I really like about those last 2 seasons of the original run when they switched show runners is it the closest the show gets to almost having like a through line between episodes. The killers act much more as foils to Columbo, and reflecting back to focus on some aspect of his character whether it be his intelligence, the love of his job, or just how he feels about people. Its good stuff and goes a long way of making those episodes feel like something a bit more new while still keeping to the formula.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

knox posted:

Payndz posted:

Depending on how goony you want to be about it, there's ongoing debate about what order to watch the episodes in. There are certain episodes where he mentions being new or doesn't seem to know what's going on that make sense early on, and others where he's more in control or messing with the staff which fit better later in the season. After doing a bit of research I settled on this order which seems to be fairly reasonable:

The Unmutual Website order:
01. Arrival
02. Dance of the Dead
03. Free for All
04. Checkmate
05. The Chimes of Big Ben
06. Schizoid Man
07. The General
08. A. B. and C
09. Many Happy Returns
10. A Change of Mind
11. Hammer into Anvil
12. Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling
13. Living in Harmony
14. The Girl Who Was Death
15. It's Your Funeral
16. Once Upon a Time
17. Fall Out

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
No matter what order you use I recommend following up with the In My Mind documentary that is about the show. It is honestly kinda corny but has some really great footage of PMG that gets across how intense and weird the guy was.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just finished 'Columbo Cries Wolf' S9E2 and I think it might be the first episode I really dislike solely for the twist in it.

The twist is
The wife mysteriously alive after all that time! Her and her husband came up with the idea so she could sell the magazine at a higher price.
And then the husband does actually kill her in the end and tries to make it look like she disappeared again

It's over an hour of the episode I feel I want back

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Had to grab this small Columbo 'Fade Into Murder' painting for my Peter Falk-obsessed gf;

Artist is https://www.instagram.com/rachelpetruccillo, I had seen this painting months ago and was surprised it was still available when I checked last week. Does a lot of classic TV/film portraits.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just hitting the first '89 reboot episode :guillotine:

I did like how, since most viewers wouldn't have seen the character since '78, they reveal Falk like a slasher villain. The weird Frenchy car slowly rolls up with his face in shadow, then illuminated by him lighting his cigar :clint:

Watching him blow up the psychic's meal ticket was more fun than I remember, but still calling bullshit on betting his life on that guillotine trick just working out the way he intended. 10 more episodes and I can start mixing in the Specials shows, most of which I don't think I've seen before.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

I did like how, since most viewers wouldn't have seen the character since '78, they reveal Falk like a slasher villain. The weird Frenchy car slowly rolls up with his face in shadow, then illuminated by him lighting his cigar :clint:

There’s a real odd piece of music that they play during that. It’s like they created a theme for him, but never played it again.

When I try to remember it in my head all I can come up with is the theme to Cumberbatch Sherlock

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Wow at the cast list for Troubled Waters. Even my very face-blind partner was all "Hey, I know that actor!"

The lounge band riffing on forever is also very true to my childhood memories of cheap 1970s holiday camp entertainment.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 4, 2023

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ynohtna posted:

Wow at the cast list for Troubled Waters. Even my very face-blind partner was all "Hey, I know that actor!"

The lounge band riffing on forever is also very true to my childhood memories of cheap 1970s holiday camp entertainment.

they riffed forever on Now You See Him too which is probably the greatest Columbo episode even with the 10 minute jazz riff.

They ended up cutting an aside reveal that the jazz leader boyfriend had a jewish last name either for time or for making the villain too unsympathetic (He's already a Nazi!) too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat the end of Murder, Smoke and Shadows is brutal. I don't remember any earlier episode where Columbo relishes grinding the murderer's face in it during the reveal. He really hated that fuckin' kid, but I suppose his crime was also pretty brutal.

Now that I think on it, these first 2 episodes of the reboot feature a decapitation and a hammer smashed face :gibs: Quite the change from the bloodless deaths of the '70s.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ynohtna posted:

The first half hour or so of that episode feels like Peter Falk wandered onto the set of The Love Boat and just decided to make the best of it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

i'd buy it

knox
Oct 28, 2004

knox fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 27, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyyCIE9IRkI

e:
Still pushing through latter day episodes, someday I will actually completely finish the series! Tonight was the last ep of season 9, Murder in Malibu. Giving this one props for doing something different with the murder and not fully revealing things until the end. Some real Agatha Christie poo poo.

Though I don't think I ever need to hear Peter Falk say the word 'panties' ever again in my life :chloe:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 11, 2023

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1692914323201667303

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
all those audio commentaries... drat i want that collection

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

some incredible special features in that set

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hell, I'm looking forward to the music tracks.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

wanna hear that TV historian defend Commodore :getin:

But yeah the commentaries are the most interesting part of a disc release, unless they do a really good job with the film restore which I never trust until it gets released and the reviews come in.

Also :lol: somebody in the replies tried to 'huh I guess I'm a little confused' the post by pointing out the box says 1970s and the movie came out in '68. A false Columbo fan.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe they will put them up as purchasable episodes too. Currently no way to buy Columbo on iTunes for instance.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

wanna hear that TV historian defend Commodore :getin:

But yeah the commentaries are the most interesting part of a disc release, unless they do a really good job with the film restore which I never trust until it gets released and the reviews come in.

Also :lol: somebody in the replies tried to 'huh I guess I'm a little confused' the post by pointing out the box says 1970s and the movie came out in '68. A false Columbo fan.

I understood the baffling defense of Commodore in this thread once I reached the Ed McBain episodes. Then I knew how they could say it wasn't the worst.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ooo I'm just starting season 10 and plan to thread in the episodes categorized as specials chronologically. Which means I'm just a few Columbos away from both Undercover and No Time to Die. Guess I've still got stuff to look forward to :q:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I've been watching 1 or 2 of these a week so I suppose I'll contribute a non-shitpost

Double Shock- this one was a lot of fun, it features Martin Landau playing twins and Julie Newmar bringing some Catwoman energy. there's a whole scene of Columbo being a guest on Martin Landau's cooking show and they're clearly just riffing and having a great old time, I'm guessing Falk and Landau were pretty good friends because they have some excellent chemistry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTmdT1uKI3w

Lovely But Lethal- a young Martin Sheen gets murdered with a microscope and then Vincent loving Price is in it and he is NOT the murderer! how are you going to have Vincent Price on Columbo and not have him be the murderer??

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1695149040185258196

uh this loving sucks

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What why

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well that's a pretty big bummer, that's 90% of the draw of the set for most people I'd imagine. I assume licensing bullshit but I can't think what would have made them wipe all of the extra content out vs individual pieces.

Unrelated, finally dipping my toes into season 10 for the first time, two episodes down. Digging it pretty well so far. Goes to College was maybe the best ep yet for the perps being smug dickheads and underestimating Columbo while loving up constantly. Hazardous's killer is significantly less smug, but still makes game ending errors left and right. It almost feels like they're making the killers dumber so their mistakes are easier to follow for modern audiences?

I'm trying to watch everything chronologically, so one more ep then I'll dip into the Specials for 3 shows, then the 2nd half (?) of season 10 before finishing off the series with the rest of the Specials.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gildiss posted:

I understood the baffling defense of Commodore in this thread once I reached the Ed McBain episodes. Then I knew how they could say it wasn't the worst.

I haven't hit the Ed McBain ones yet but I say the worst Columbo is "Murder in Malibu", which was so bad I didn't believe the murderer did it even after he confessed. At least Commodore tried to shake things up a bit even if it completely failed, and the last scene with Columbo in the rowboat is pretty drat good.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I haven't hit the Ed McBain ones yet but I say the worst Columbo is "Murder in Malibu", which was so bad I didn't believe the murderer did it even after he confessed. At least Commodore tried to shake things up a bit even if it completely failed, and the last scene with Columbo in the rowboat is pretty drat good.

It is in my eyes definitely the worst one.

Was rewatching some of it on TV the other day, and I just....do not understand the casting choices. Andrew Stevens is a complete dud, no charisma at all, Brenda Vaccaro seems fine, but the twist of them falling for each other, just comes out of nowhere, zero sexual tension between them at any point. The whole episode is just off, none of it feels right. Not a single line feels convincing, by anyone (except Falk).

Yeah yeah the 90s seasons have some duds and problems throughout, but this is the same season that has a Patrick McGoohan, and Ian McShane in the unique "Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo". Next season kicks off with "Columbo Goes To College", then you have George Hamilton, Dabney Coleman, Rip Torn, Faye Dunaway, the Shat, Ed Begley Jr. etc. Just what the hell were they doing with Stevens and Vaccaro.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 25, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ed mcbain episodes are hands down the worst because even as bad as some other episodes get at least they are not bad and have scenes centered around sexual menace that feel incredibly out of place with the rest of the series

e: honestly the 90s episodes get a bit of a bum rap. overall they are def a step down and contain some of the worst episodes but stuff like columbo vs hugh hefner or columbo vs steven spielberg are still a lot of fun to me even if its not executed as well as some of the earlier stuff.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 25, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I haven't hit the Ed McBain ones yet but I say the worst Columbo is "Murder in Malibu", which was so bad I didn't believe the murderer did it even after he confessed.

Heh, I actually really liked that one, because for one of very few times in the whole show it leaves you guessing on what actually happened, and I thought the idea of having the 'murderer' being mistaken themselves about killing someone was clever. If nothing else props to the guy for thinking on his feet!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

piratepilates posted:

It is in my eyes definitely the worst one.

Was rewatching some of it on TV the other day, and I just....do not understand the casting choices. Andrew Stevens is a complete dud, no charisma at all, Janet Margolin seems fine, but the twist of them falling for each other, just comes out of nowhere, zero sexual tension between them at any point. The whole episode is just off, none of it feels right. Not a single line feels convincing, by anyone (except Falk).

Yeah yeah the 90s seasons have some duds and problems throughout, but this is the same season that has a Patrick McGoohan, and Ian McShane in the unique "Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo". Next season kicks off with "Columbo Goes To College", then you have George Hamilton, Dabney Coleman, Rip Torn, Faye Dunaway, the Shat, Ed Begley Jr. etc. Just what the hell were they doing with Stevens and Margolin.

Stevens appeared as the "villain" in a movie shown on the latest season of MST3K. I joked about him being a Columbo villain if Columbo was about a guy ratting out his neighbors to their HOA for not sorting their recycling properly or something, then said something about him being a poor man's Robert Culp that nobody was poor enough to actually need. I bring this up because I said all this before I saw "Murder in Malibu".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

hatty posted:

What why

There's some talk going around it might be related this lawsuit where Universal spent a lot of time acting like they owned all of the rights and then the families of the creators got some claw-back. It would track if they asked the one party's permission and then someone else heard about this box set for the first time and raised objections.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I ain't no kinda lawyer or nuthin' but shouldn't that just mean they would get a cut of the sales, or cancel the release entirely? How does stripping out the commentaries but still releasing the episodes do anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m just confused because - weren’t these commentaries recorded FOR this release? Or were they for something else? If they were specifically recorded for this release, how could there be a rights issue?