Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Think I'll start marathoning this as well. It's been a while.

My personal theory about Columbo is that he knows who the murderer is the moment he lays eyes on them. From there he just needs to put together the case so it holds up in court.

He's got Holmes-levels observation talents. I like to imagine he's some kind of human experiment. A murder-solving replicant. I bet at the end of the day he just goes to his tiny home where he sits on the single piece of furniture he has and stares at the wall- waiting until the station calls again. Kind of like Dan Stevens in "The Guest".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sanzuo posted:

My personal theory about Columbo is that he knows who the murderer is the moment he lays eyes on them. From there he just needs to put together the case so it holds up in court.
There's quite a few cases where he suspects them from the word Go just because of a small discrepancy -- why'd you check your mail as you were calling about your dead wife? How are you sure they left right when they said they would?

In some other cases, it's a series of smaller hunches or lucky coincidences. But the building the case part is always fun.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

There's quite a few cases where he suspects them from the word Go just because of a small discrepancy -- why'd you check your mail as you were calling about your dead wife? How are you sure they left right when they said they would?

In some other cases, it's a series of smaller hunches or lucky coincidences. But the building the case part is always fun.

It's always fun in the beginning of the ep when the perp is trying to cover up the crime. Especially when they are panicky and doing it poorly. It's like watching a wrestling match. I'm just eating my popcorn thinking: Man, Columbo's gonna destroy you. You don't have a chance.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
One of the most enjoyable things of watching Columbo for the first time and only being in my early 30s is seeing so many actors I know solely from other shows and films.

Like Hey it's Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Donald Pleasence) showing up with Columbo!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Digital Jedi posted:

One of the most enjoyable things of watching Columbo for the first time and only being in my early 30s is seeing so many actors I know solely from other shows and films.

Pleasence would also show up (as a different character) in Mrs. Columbo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ahhh yes Mr. Columbo. The Amontillado is right this way.

Imagine Orson Welles on Columbo?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Columbo is so, so good. I love that the formula isn't whodunnit or how, but the dramatic irony of how Columbo will catch them using simple powers of observation and interrogation disguised as innocuous conversation. After decades of rote police procedurals it's a welcome change of pace.

Also worth noting that Tubi has the first pilot, 1968's "Prescription: Murder".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I love "Murder Under Glass", where a famous chef is murdered, and during the investigation, other chefs keep feeding him all their rich food, and Columbo couldn't be happier.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
just watched a friend in deed. it's a good one. the trick at the end with columbo revealing that he bought the apartment and everything in it is his is great, mostly for columbo pointing out various items.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just watched that Tuesday. Took me a second when he said that and was so Columbo

It's refreshing watching these and have the first 10-20 minutes be solely with the victim and perpetrator. And not immediately introducing Columbo or just a quick 2 minutes. Really helps build the episodes

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Who's the best recurring murderer and why is it Robert Culp?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

grassy gnoll posted:

Who's the best recurring murderer and why is it Robert Culp? Jack Cassidy

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Culp was one of the adults on Mystery Inc.

Advantage Rob

In his final incarnation, the murderer hid in Everybody Loves Raymond

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Because Robert Culp was in this scene, the best scene with the best acting and cinematography in all of Columbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRcBrF9t8so

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Unquestionably a strong candidate, but he's still gotta be second place. Culp's weird and menacing in all his roles; I just can't stay mad at gleeful murder cherub Jack Cassidy.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Unquestionably a strong candidate, but he's still gotta be second place. Culp's weird and menacing in all his roles; I just can't stay mad at gleeful murder cherub Jack Cassidy.

If the murderers were being considered in a vacuum yes I would agree that Culp is better however every episode of Columbo is a two-hander and Cassidy has almost perfect chemistry with Peter Falk. Since the show is Columbo and the murderer playing off of each other this is not just an important factor but the most important factor catapulting Cassidy to number one

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I watched the exercise episode yesterday, i love not hiding his angry columbo holy poo poo

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Also: the actual scene with best cinematography is when he first investigates the body under the Santa Monica pier in the spy episode

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I like how he pulls out an egg investigating the plane crash in the one with the Man in Black.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I like how he pulls out an egg investigating the plane crash in the one with the Man in Black.

He pulls out an egg in "Lovely But Lethal", then wanders about the crime scene kitchen looking for salt.
He pulls out another egg in "A Stitch in Crime" and cracks it against the murder weapon

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

In that revival episode Peter falk wrote where the woman murderer tries to romance him (actually p good for a revival ep) he just straight up raids the victims fridge because he’s hungry. It’s not even an act to get people off their guard it’s just him and some cops who presumably know his schtick.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In that revival episode Peter falk wrote where the woman murderer tries to romance him (actually p good for a revival ep) he just straight up raids the victims fridge because he’s hungry. It’s not even an act to get people off their guard it’s just him and some cops who presumably know his schtick.

That's why I can never buy people's theory that Columbo's whole schtick is an act.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think it's a heightened persona deal. That's how he really is but he turns up the dial when he meets a witness or a suspect.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Yeah, his schtick isn't fake, but he knows what he's doing with it. Folks who think it's an act are being fooled by him just as hard as the criminals.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
he clearly switches modes too in some scenes. he'll be his normal columbo self and the killer arrives and it clicks for him. its like he is shifting gears on a bike. he is just leaning forward a bit more on his normal personality.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Because it was a convenient excuse, I went back and watched a few episodes to compare regular guest stars. I gotta say, Cassidy's got just a little bit of that Midatlantic accent in his performances, and it's just superb.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Dick Van Dyke should've been a recurring villain. I thought his performance was one the best in the series.

Perhaps he was too convincing as an irritable, narcissistic murderer that he thought it could affect his reputation as the most wholesome man in showbiz?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rollie Fingers posted:

Perhaps he was too convincing as an irritable, narcissistic murderer that he thought it could affect his reputation as the most wholesome man in showbiz?
It's definitely that.

Nimoy was similarly fantastic in his episode.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Digital Jedi posted:

This.

Man, Columbo is so great and it's astonishing how well it holds up decades later. Peter Falk is fantastic. WE used to have a Sunday night tradition in college of getting stoned and watching reruns. When I was a little kid, my parents would watch it after I went to bed and (I think) it was paired with McMillan and Wife as a Sunday Night Movie kind of a thing. I remember often being able to hear the TV and for whatever reason the theme song they played used to scare the hell out of young me for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ26K3nVM_0

Here's a full list of costars and it's really impressive:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls027695787/

Thanks for the thread. Brings back memories.

I always thought that Columbo would be a good candidate for the comedy movie remake thing that was going on for a while. Six Million Dollar Man too.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
By television law, every mystery TV show has to have an episode in which the suspect is a stage magician, and Now You See Him is the best of the bunch.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Because Robert Culp was in this scene, the best scene with the best acting and cinematography in all of Columbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRcBrF9t8so

I love how some eps end with no words, just the killer knowing that they're truly and totally hosed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Oh, just one more thing ...

In the 70s there was a Columbo Board Game

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Davros1 posted:

Oh, just one more thing ...

In the 70s there was a Columbo Board Game

I actually bought a copy of this off eBay after I first learned that it existed. I've never actually gotten around to playing it (and reviews I've seen have said it's not that much fun), but it was just one of those "That exists? I must have it!" moments.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You gotta love that they couldn't bother to get Falk's likeness.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
They tried to get it but every time it looked like he was about to sign the release he would add an extra clause at the end and make it complicated again

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BiggestBatman posted:

They tried to get it but every time it looked like he was about to sign the release he would add an extra clause at the end and make it complicated again

He insisted on play testing it, but then kept drifting off onto tangents about how he's really not good at board games. His wife, however, she loves 'em. Can't get enough of them. He had to eventually hide CLUE, because his wife would always solve the mystery within the first few turns. Took all the fun out of it. And oh boy, one weapon is a lead pipe? He has a cousin who's a plumber, who had to redo an entire apartment building that was filled with lead pipes. Could really mess up the drinking water. As soon as he heard that, he and his wife had all their plumbing redone, 'cause his wife makes the best iced tea. Sun tea, actually.

Now you say you like sun tea too, and this made delicious glass other Sunday. Funny thing though, his wife couldn't make sun tea that day, on account of the storms. Didn't clear up until well into the evening. So the only way you could've made it is if you bought at the store. And funny enough, we just happen to have you on camera at the store across the street from the victim's home. And those things are time coded too. You know what a time code is? It's a little clock, printed right on the tape, so we know exactly to the minute of when you were in the store. And it's exactly when you said you were at home, Mr. Cassidy.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Davros will you quite get to the point??

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
watching How to Dial a Murder and Columbo really didn't like the murderer in this one, he was really trash talking him at the end, telling him how bad a murderer he was.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
That opening long shot in the first episode is just

Perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Culp and Cassady are indeed S-tier Colombo foes (ColumbFoes) but my personal favorite is Patrick McGoohan. Just having a blast devouring every scene he's in with absolute gusto.