Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Laterite posted:

Culp and Cassady are indeed S-tier Colombo foes (ColumbFoes) but my personal favorite is Patrick McGoohan. Just having a blast devouring every scene he's in with absolute gusto.

McGoohan's work on Columbo netted him 2 Emmys, he's great value for money in his appearances, I personally loved him as the spy Nelson Brennan he seemed to have fun with that role.
He also directed Murder with Too Many Notes which I thought was quite a brisk ep even though it had a long runtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What I always find funny about McGoohan is that for a full decade, he was an upright, intense hero on British TV (first Danger Man, then The Prisoner). Then he moved to Hollywood and found a new career on TV and in film playing cocky rear end in a top hat villains who aren't quite as smart as they think.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Payndz posted:

What I always find funny about McGoohan is that for a full decade, he was an upright, intense hero on British TV (first Danger Man, then The Prisoner). Then he moved to Hollywood and found a new career on TV and in film playing cocky rear end in a top hat villains who aren't quite as smart as they think.

America never got over the revolutionary war

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

America never got over the revolutionary war

Also the UK, so it evens out.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Finished up the "original" run.

Kinda weak episode with the Irish gun runner poet. He wasn't a particularly interesting villain and Columbo didn't really seem to be very into it either.

Are the newer episodes noticeably worse?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

MrBling posted:

Kinda weak episode with the Irish gun runner poet. He wasn't a particularly interesting villain and Columbo didn't really seem to be very into it either.

Yes except for the college student one and the one with the girl who tries to honeytrap columbo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Every time I think this thread is dead, there's just one more thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MrBling posted:

I would check out the very last episode "Columbo Likes the Nightlife."

It stars a very young Matthew Rhys.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jose Oquendo posted:

It stars a very young Matthew Rhys.

There was an interview with Rhys and he talked about making that ep. When he arrived at the airport, Falk was the one to pick him up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Davros1 posted:

There was an interview with Rhys and he talked about making that ep. When he arrived at the airport, Falk was the one to pick him up.

Hell, I know he just did a season of Perry Mason, but get him a trench coat and cigar for a Columbo movie. He could do it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does he got to boogie?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Dagger of the Mind in season 2 is the first episode of Columbo that's really disappointed me. He planted evidence!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

rewatched Bye Bye Sky High IQ Society Murder Case and the episode's pretty ok right until the end when out of nowhere you have one of the greatest scenes/endings in columbo.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I like whenever Columbo gets genuinely pissed off and lays into the culprit during his final summation/monologue/what have you. Great stuff.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Kicking myself for not picking up the 'cigar box' complete DVD set on eBay when I saw one as a £30 buy-it-now a few days ago. Now having to endure the tedium of bidding and watching the price rise like omicron infections just before the deadline.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Payndz posted:

Kicking myself for not picking up the 'cigar box' complete DVD set on eBay when I saw one as a £30 buy-it-now a few days ago. Now having to endure the tedium of bidding and watching the price rise like omicron infections just before the deadline.

I didn't know that existed. I bought the regular box set.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I didn't know that existed. I bought the regular box set.

I think i was a Japanese exclusive

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Which one was the one were someone kills the victum with a block of ice and then chucks it in a swimming pool to dispose of the wepon?
Also is Billy Connerly famous in america as he was once the villain in one of the later ones and I didnt think he was that famous???

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
He did a late 80s/early 90s network sitcom where he was a quirky teacher, IIRC.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

wibble posted:

Which one was the one were someone kills the victum with a block of ice and then chucks it in a swimming pool to dispose of the wepon?
Also is Billy Connerly famous in america as he was once the villain in one of the later ones and I didnt think he was that famous???

Most crucial game. An nfl team manager murders the playboy owner who inherited the team because he doesn’t care enough about football

He is not. The murderers aren’t all dick van dykes and Leonard Nimoy’s. They put in character actors people recognize but haven’t heard of quite a bit.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 20, 2021

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Just watched 9x02, Columbo Cries Wolf, and it had a bonkers twist.

One of the best of the newer episodes.

18 left to go, I don’t want it to end.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Davros1 posted:

I think i was a Japanese exclusive

Is columbo popular in Japan

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, there was furuhata ninzaburo which is pretty inspired by the columbo formula and was popular in its own right, and then there is this
https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1459041114791501839

You see references pop up here and there. loving Lupin the III had an episode about a skateboarding kid detective whose uncle is Columbo.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 26, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Is columbo popular in Japan

reruns of columbo would get around a quarter of japanese households watching when competing against baseball games. it was/is v popular.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Apparently the guy who made Phoenix Wright was heavily inspired by Columbo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.avclub.com/romania-asked-peter-falk-to-help-prevent-an-uprising-af-1847093587

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a statue of Columbo and Dog in Budapest. It's pretty great.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Apparently the guy who made Phoenix Wright was heavily inspired by Columbo.

No idea what you could be talking about.

https://i.imgur.com/BsFWvr9.mp4

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Completely forgot about the lady that murder's her brother, takes over his company and decides to turn up to a board meeting dressed as Penelope Pitstop

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
one of the greatest outfits to ever grace the show

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That's a great episode. She's a real sympathetic character who just...tragically alienates everyone around her when she finds her independence. Sure, she murders her brother, but gently caress that controlling rear end in a top hat.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The tv executive who murders her lover when he doesn't promote her alienates everyone and ends up getting fired too. Columbo has a real 70s view on women in business.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The tv executive who murders her lover when he doesn't promote her alienates everyone and ends up getting fired too. Columbo has a real 70s view on women in business.

50's

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Roddy McDowell, chemical expert, is my favourite villain breakdown so far

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
In his defense, I'd probably make that face if I thought I was seconds away from getting exploded by Peter Falk.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just got my complete DVD collection. :toot: Sadly not the original 'cigar box' set with individual season cases but a newer one where multiple discs are stacked on a single spindle and the one you want is always at the bottom, but for £30 I can't complain too much.

Was going to start with a Patrick McGoohan, but as there's no index in the box (!) I didn't realise there are only two episodes per disc and not three. Never mind, I see Donald Pleasence is the villain in one of these so I'll go with him instead!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Payndz posted:

Just got my complete DVD collection. :toot: Sadly not the original 'cigar box' set with individual season cases but a newer one where multiple discs are stacked on a single spindle and the one you want is always at the bottom, but for £30 I can't complain too much.

Was going to start with a Patrick McGoohan, but as there's no index in the box (!) I didn't realise there are only two episodes per disc and not three. Never mind, I see Donald Pleasence is the villain in one of these so I'll go with him instead!

If it's the same releases as the US version: sometimes there's three per disc! And with season 1, there's a single episode on a disc. And if it's the same as the US, there's a couple of Mrs. Columbo eps on the discs as bonus features, one of which has Donald Pleasence!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ultrabindu posted:

Roddy McDowell, chemical expert, is my favourite villain breakdown so far

I love this one because there's no reason on paper to like McDowell's character; it's all in the performance. Bastard is just so damned likeable.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So far watched the Donald Pleasence and first Patrick McGoohan episodes, and loving the chill vibes of the whole thing. No rush, no gunplay, no montages of people peering into microscopes or CGI bullet-entry flashbacks, just Columbo ambling about pestering people and gradually whittling down the killer's story before snapping shut the trap at the end.

I'm also enjoying the past-shock of a show that started half a century ago. Smoking everywhere. No seatbelts. Rotary phones, and people laboriously dialling numbers. Calling an operator. Cheques. Huge boat-like cars. No DNA evidence. Hardly any forensic analysis. Columbo just picks up pieces of key physical evidence with his bare hands and puts them in his pockets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
God I can't remember the drat episode but there's one where Columbo ends up going to talk to a database clerk and it's just delightfully awkward how put off he is by the whole thing

E: ah, it's "An Exercise in Fatality". After waiting for lile 10 minutes for a print-out of a person's phone number, Columbo make a call and leaves a message:
"Hello. This is Lieutenant Columbo: homicide. It's very important that I talk to you. You can call me at the main precinct. The number there is: you can look that up."

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 12, 2022