Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like Columbo and I vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm working my way through the revival episodes and so far the sex therapist one is the best of the bunch.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Dick Van Dyke as a killer of the week was incredible because despite playing a terrible man he still seems really likeable.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I have the feeling if they'd tried to make a 20+ episode season of Columbo it would've ended like Kolchak: a one-season wonder that the star himself pulled the plug on because it was getting stale fast.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 20, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Commodore just wasn't a good episode. I say this as someone who went into it with an entirely open mind about it. Exactly two moments in the episode work: the twist in the middle and the very last shot.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Columbo titles are usually significant in more than one way. It's quite clever.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Since I've picked up where I left off in the revival episodes, I gotta say that Murder in Malibu really, really fails hard. It tries to do a variation on the Last Salute to the Commodore twist in the middle but fouls it up to the point that I still don't believe the actual murderer was the murderer, which is kind of a problem for a show about a murder. In fact the whole episode feels like the production team accidentally filmed the rough draft of the story by mistake.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ynohtna posted:

Wow at the cast list for Troubled Waters. Even my very face-blind partner was all "Hey, I know that actor!"

The lounge band riffing on forever is also very true to my childhood memories of cheap 1970s holiday camp entertainment.

The first half hour or so of that episode feels like Peter Falk wandered onto the set of The Love Boat and just decided to make the best of it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Snooze Cruise posted:

all those audio commentaries... drat i want that collection

Hell, I'm looking forward to the music tracks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gildiss posted:

I understood the baffling defense of Commodore in this thread once I reached the Ed McBain episodes. Then I knew how they could say it wasn't the worst.

I haven't hit the Ed McBain ones yet but I say the worst Columbo is "Murder in Malibu", which was so bad I didn't believe the murderer did it even after he confessed. At least Commodore tried to shake things up a bit even if it completely failed, and the last scene with Columbo in the rowboat is pretty drat good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

piratepilates posted:

It is in my eyes definitely the worst one.

Was rewatching some of it on TV the other day, and I just....do not understand the casting choices. Andrew Stevens is a complete dud, no charisma at all, Janet Margolin seems fine, but the twist of them falling for each other, just comes out of nowhere, zero sexual tension between them at any point. The whole episode is just off, none of it feels right. Not a single line feels convincing, by anyone (except Falk).

Yeah yeah the 90s seasons have some duds and problems throughout, but this is the same season that has a Patrick McGoohan, and Ian McShane in the unique "Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo". Next season kicks off with "Columbo Goes To College", then you have George Hamilton, Dabney Coleman, Rip Torn, Faye Dunaway, the Shat, Ed Begley Jr. etc. Just what the hell were they doing with Stevens and Margolin.

Stevens appeared as the "villain" in a movie shown on the latest season of MST3K. I joked about him being a Columbo villain if Columbo was about a guy ratting out his neighbors to their HOA for not sorting their recycling properly or something, then said something about him being a poor man's Robert Culp that nobody was poor enough to actually need. I bring this up because I said all this before I saw "Murder in Malibu".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Davros1 posted:

They should just use all those the commentary and interviews with Falk from the DVDs.

Oh wait, they don't exist, because when Falk went to them and offered to do them, Universal said "Nah", and turned him away.

I would give a major organ to hear an in-character Peter Falk episode commentary. In fact I've decided to become a devout Christian based solely on the possibility of such a thing existing in Heaven.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Narsham posted:

Last Salute does a lot of what it's trying to do. The problem is that most of what it's trying to do is a really bad idea

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Takes No Damage posted:

That one still bugs me. Probably the most brutal sadistic murder in the whole show, and Columbo seems to really like the guy :chloe:

To be fair, his brother really sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i mean yeah but he and the dog don't gently caress. they have an understanding on extramarital dates

:chloe: