Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Think I'll start marathoning this as well. It's been a while.

My personal theory about Columbo is that he knows who the murderer is the moment he lays eyes on them. From there he just needs to put together the case so it holds up in court.

He's got Holmes-levels observation talents. I like to imagine he's some kind of human experiment. A murder-solving replicant. I bet at the end of the day he just goes to his tiny home where he sits on the single piece of furniture he has and stares at the wall- waiting until the station calls again. Kind of like Dan Stevens in "The Guest".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

There's quite a few cases where he suspects them from the word Go just because of a small discrepancy -- why'd you check your mail as you were calling about your dead wife? How are you sure they left right when they said they would?

In some other cases, it's a series of smaller hunches or lucky coincidences. But the building the case part is always fun.

It's always fun in the beginning of the ep when the perp is trying to cover up the crime. Especially when they are panicky and doing it poorly. It's like watching a wrestling match. I'm just eating my popcorn thinking: Man, Columbo's gonna destroy you. You don't have a chance.