Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I think the best Columbos are the ones where you can sympathise with the killer. You know they did it, you know Columbo is hot on their trail and you almost hope they get away with it and Columbo almost wishes it too. The Ruth Gordon one is the best example. "Just think Lieutenant. If you had investigated my nieces death all this need never have happened." :discourse:

I still think people should watch the modern Columbos. There are still good bits and episodes there. I'd just randomly mix them into the watching of the older classics. Who the guest star is is generallly a good clue of what the quality will be.There is no continuity in the series that needs to be followed other than Columbo's dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The tv executive who murders her lover when he doesn't promote her alienates everyone and ends up getting fired too. Columbo has a real 70s view on women in business.

That character has a fantastic breakdown scene. One of the best scenes of the entire series I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdVFI2cZ4mI

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

ultrabindu posted:

Great little bit in Robert Culp's first episode where the attempted cover up of the crime is played in the lenses of his glasses

https://i.imgur.com/rKwHNsx.mp4

Well to tell you the truth sir, I knew it was you from the first moment I first meet you. You see sir, you forgot to turn on the replay of the murder on your glasses. I just could'nt get it out of my head. And you know how these little things keep me up all night.

Also just realised the evidence that catches Culp out at the end of that episode was a contact lens...

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Payndz posted:

I guess now I've done all the McGoohans, I'll have to go back to disc 1 with this promising young tyro director. Wonder what will become of him?

Last time I saw that kid he was working with Robbie the Robot.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

I know you all mentioned it, but I don't think I was quite ready for how bad Commodore is. I'm halfway through and this may be the first episode I'm thinking of skipping through.

Commodore is great. It's the one episode of the series that makes the audience feel like they are the murderer.