Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Columbo Goes To College is easily the best of the 80s/90s films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hace posted:

I'm up to Season 4 now and this show is good as gently caress

Oh man, Negative Reaction is sooooo good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

Yeah, anybody sitting on the fence about checking out the show should know that the first episode is Spielberg and other people who took turns directing included Boris Sagal (Katey's father, who also directed movies like The Omega Man *), Cassavettes collaborator and generally cooler than you Ben Gazzara, and Patrick "The Prisoner" McGoohan.

(*) and died in a gruesome helicopter blade accident

Jonathon Demme directed one too.

Hannibal Lector wouldn't have stood a chance against Columbo.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 26, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MrBling posted:

I'm bringing this thread back to life because well .. I'm still watching this!

And I'm pretty sure I just watched the worst episode of Columbo. At the very least the worst so far.

The final episode of season 5: "Last Salute to the Commodore"

Surprisingly poor, considering it was directed by Patrick McGoohan but I guess he decided to have a galaxy brain moment and do the entire episode as a normal murder mystery where the murderer isn't unveiled until the end, instead of the normal Columbo formula.
I don't really have a problem with that approach, it's fair enough after 5 seasons to try and do something a little different but the whole episode is just horrendously paced.
And they decide that Columbo needs some young sidekick detective who then never shows up again as far as I can tell.

If you're going to change things up I much prefer the subplot of the previous episode ("Now You See Him...") where Columbo is trying to get rid of the new raincoat his wife got him because it's too tight and he can't get rid of it. Only problem is that one of the other police officers keep finding it and bringing it back to him.

"Last Salute" is considered to be the worst of the "Classic" era. But you haven't seen bad until you get to the late 80s/90s films.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The bits with Columbo sightseeing were great though. Also, him at customs.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Those punks shouldn't have mocked him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Tonight's episode on MeTV is a great one.

Troubled Waters

Columbo is a on cruise when a murder takes place so he helps the captain solve the crime. .

Directed by Ben Gazzara.
Robert Vaughn is the perp
Dean Stockwell as the patsy for the murder
Patrick Macnee and Bernard Fox in supporting roles

Also, the captain talks about meeting Mrs Columbo, so that ruins that silly online theory that Columbo is just making her up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I dunno, I'd give the honor to Commissioner Halperin in "A Friend in Deed." He's rich, he's corrupt, he's unremorseful, and he takes others down with him.

Well, he is a cop.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

One of the most enjoyable things of watching Columbo for the first time and only being in my early 30s is seeing so many actors I know solely from other shows and films.

Like Hey it's Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Donald Pleasence) showing up with Columbo!

Pleasence would also show up (as a different character) in Mrs. Columbo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I love "Murder Under Glass", where a famous chef is murdered, and during the investigation, other chefs keep feeding him all their rich food, and Columbo couldn't be happier.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I like how he pulls out an egg investigating the plane crash in the one with the Man in Black.

He pulls out an egg in "Lovely But Lethal", then wanders about the crime scene kitchen looking for salt.
He pulls out another egg in "A Stitch in Crime" and cracks it against the murder weapon

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In that revival episode Peter falk wrote where the woman murderer tries to romance him (actually p good for a revival ep) he just straight up raids the victims fridge because he’s hungry. It’s not even an act to get people off their guard it’s just him and some cops who presumably know his schtick.

That's why I can never buy people's theory that Columbo's whole schtick is an act.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Because Robert Culp was in this scene, the best scene with the best acting and cinematography in all of Columbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRcBrF9t8so

I love how some eps end with no words, just the killer knowing that they're truly and totally hosed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Oh, just one more thing ...

In the 70s there was a Columbo Board Game

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You gotta love that they couldn't bother to get Falk's likeness.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BiggestBatman posted:

They tried to get it but every time it looked like he was about to sign the release he would add an extra clause at the end and make it complicated again

He insisted on play testing it, but then kept drifting off onto tangents about how he's really not good at board games. His wife, however, she loves 'em. Can't get enough of them. He had to eventually hide CLUE, because his wife would always solve the mystery within the first few turns. Took all the fun out of it. And oh boy, one weapon is a lead pipe? He has a cousin who's a plumber, who had to redo an entire apartment building that was filled with lead pipes. Could really mess up the drinking water. As soon as he heard that, he and his wife had all their plumbing redone, 'cause his wife makes the best iced tea. Sun tea, actually.

Now you say you like sun tea too, and this made delicious glass other Sunday. Funny thing though, his wife couldn't make sun tea that day, on account of the storms. Didn't clear up until well into the evening. So the only way you could've made it is if you bought at the store. And funny enough, we just happen to have you on camera at the store across the street from the victim's home. And those things are time coded too. You know what a time code is? It's a little clock, printed right on the tape, so we know exactly to the minute of when you were in the store. And it's exactly when you said you were at home, Mr. Cassidy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would check out the very last episode "Columbo Likes the Nightlife."

It stars a very young Matthew Rhys.

There was an interview with Rhys and he talked about making that ep. When he arrived at the airport, Falk was the one to pick him up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I didn't know that existed. I bought the regular box set.

I think i was a Japanese exclusive

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.avclub.com/romania-asked-peter-falk-to-help-prevent-an-uprising-af-1847093587

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Payndz posted:

Just got my complete DVD collection. :toot: Sadly not the original 'cigar box' set with individual season cases but a newer one where multiple discs are stacked on a single spindle and the one you want is always at the bottom, but for £30 I can't complain too much.

Was going to start with a Patrick McGoohan, but as there's no index in the box (!) I didn't realise there are only two episodes per disc and not three. Never mind, I see Donald Pleasence is the villain in one of these so I'll go with him instead!

If it's the same releases as the US version: sometimes there's three per disc! And with season 1, there's a single episode on a disc. And if it's the same as the US, there's a couple of Mrs. Columbo eps on the discs as bonus features, one of which has Donald Pleasence!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Watched through the original run and a few of the renewal episodes a few years ago. I was moving and had a PC but no internet so I sat around watching local media for a few days.

My least favorite murderer is the dude with the wine vault who knocks out his brother(?), ties him up in the vault and leaves him to starve to death over a long weekend :gonk: And Colombo seems to actually like him, keeps asking him about wine pairings and poo poo.

Half brother, and it apparently turning off the air meant his half brother suffocated in there. It took me a few watches to get it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Payndz posted:

"Lieutenant."

I liked the bit in the McGoohan-as-murderous-lawyer ep where Columbo asks for the politician's autograph for his wife and the guy asks who he should sign it to. "Mrs Columbo."

Falk did one of those Dean Martin Roasts in character as Columbo, and revealed that her first name is "Rose".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Every single one of these is Columbo's true self, the one that's NOT putting on an act.

I love the stealing the biscuit, only to save it for a midnight snack.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Just watch A Case of Immunity and oof, not a good one but it was so corny it makes up for it, ending with the King giving columbo a thumbs up

Trivia: one of the protesters outside the embassy was Jeff Goldblum

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

That's a great Jack Cassidy

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MffDpqfVyt8&t=84s

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 11, 2022

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Is there an ashtray in this thread? I’d like to get rid of these eggshells.

I had no idea there were Columbo fans on SA!

I just read this entire thread and it motivated me to set my DVR to record all Columbo episodes we get here. I think it airs on like four different channels.

It also streams for free on sites like Tubi.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Payndz posted:

A decent lawyer could surely have put plenty of doubt in a jury's mind about it. But hey, that's not what the show's about.

That would actually be a cool thing to see, Columbo on the stand. The smary defense lawyer believes he's going to get his client off, all he has to do is tear apart this shabby, rumbled detective when he's on the stand. And it begins to look likes it's going to work. The judge has to keep reminding Columbo to stay on subject as Columbo detours into a story about his wife, or some relative back home in Italy. Columbo's testimony with "Oh jeez", and "why didn't I think about that?" And just when the defense is about to rest, Columbo proves without a shadow of a doubt in the jury's mind that Robert Culp/Jack Cassidy/Patrick McGoohan is guilty and leaves the lawyer a jibbering mess.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

He drew a gun in one of the 90s movies, "No Time to Die".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Levinson and Link, who created Columbo, also created Murder, She Wrote. Kind of wonder if they were inspired by Ruth Gordon in the Columbo ep "Try and Catch Me"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

In the 70s it was perfectly acceptable for the investigating officer to crack a hard boiled egg against the murder weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

They should just use all those the commentary and interviews with Falk from the DVDs.

Oh wait, they don't exist, because when Falk went to them and offered to do them, Universal said "Nah", and turned him away.