Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Digital Jedi posted:

One of the most enjoyable things of watching Columbo for the first time and only being in my early 30s is seeing so many actors I know solely from other shows and films.

Like Hey it's Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Donald Pleasence) showing up with Columbo!

This.

Man, Columbo is so great and it's astonishing how well it holds up decades later. Peter Falk is fantastic. WE used to have a Sunday night tradition in college of getting stoned and watching reruns. When I was a little kid, my parents would watch it after I went to bed and (I think) it was paired with McMillan and Wife as a Sunday Night Movie kind of a thing. I remember often being able to hear the TV and for whatever reason the theme song they played used to scare the hell out of young me for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ26K3nVM_0

Here's a full list of costars and it's really impressive:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls027695787/

Thanks for the thread. Brings back memories.

I always thought that Columbo would be a good candidate for the comedy movie remake thing that was going on for a while. Six Million Dollar Man too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Every time I think this thread is dead, there's just one more thing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would check out the very last episode "Columbo Likes the Nightlife."

Does he got to boogie?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The tv executive who murders her lover when he doesn't promote her alienates everyone and ends up getting fired too. Columbo has a real 70s view on women in business.

50's

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

I love any episode of Columbo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Labored explanations of cutting-edge (extremely outdated) technology is one of my favorite parts of Columbo

Shoelaces have come a long way.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't know why but I always thought his name was Frank.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

His name is Frank, god dammit. It's right there on his badge and I know I didn't imagine it.

:colbert:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^That's not how he rolls^^^

He deals with all these smarty pants arrogant fucks, acts stupid and then lets their egos gently caress them over. He should be on the 1/6 commission and get Trump to admit everything he's ever done.

Somehow I expected sardine sandwiches, beef jerky, Vienna sausages and liverwurst.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 29, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

It's really crazy how this rather formulaic by the numbers show really is and how many awesome actors they got to show up in it. It's a real testament to Peter Falk, the writers and the talent the producers were able procure to star in it.

Fun Fact: I needed a last minute Halloween costume one year, busted out a raincoat I had, bought a couple of cigars and spent the evening telling everyone "oh, just one more thing". It landed OK for the most part and as a cobbled together low effort costume, overall it went pretty well.

So if any goons ever find themselves in a similar bind, go as Columbo and remember me well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Get home from work and I have a few emails write, throw on an episode of Columbo while I do that. Every night as I'm winding down to go to bed, Columbo. Sunday morning when I wake up and don't feel like doing anything for a few hours, Columbo. I don't feel pressure to remember anything that's not contained in the episode I'm watching, and if I fall asleep during an episode I can pick it up right where I left off without any problems. And then of course, if I am in the mood to pay super close attention to every line and every facial expression, that's a totally rewarding experience too and each episode certainly will need to be watched at least twice to absorb all that stuff.

Oh, excuse me Mr. 555, I'm really sorry but just one more thing.

You said that you come from home every night and watch the show while you write emails. Is that correct, sir? Well, here's the thing, sir, and you know...I just can't shake it. When I talked to you last week, you said that you worked in a restaurant and one of your duties was covering brunch. "Busiest shift of your week" you said, do you remember that, sir? You mentioned you made a lot of money on that shift if I recall correctly. Now...and here's the thing...how could you watch me solve crimes on a Sunday morning and still cover your brunch shift?

And so forth.

Also, I don't think that MASH really holds up that well but I'll put All in the Family down as a 70's show that can stand up against anything. Christ, some of Archie's diatribes and especially his gun rights speech on public access sound like modern mainstream GOP talking points and even some politicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lDb0Dn8OXE

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

If there's a lovely episode of Columbo, I honestly haven't seen it. Mind you, I didn't watch any of the reboots or poo poo that wasn't part of the original run so IDK about those but I found the reruns I used to watch in college to be pretty reliable.

IIRC, there would be an All in the Family episode at 10pm, Taxi at 10:30 and then I'm pretty sure a Columbo at 11 every weeknight. We were in art school and would do our "homework" getting baked to that channel almost every night and it would carry us through 1am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like you also need some extraneous stuff so that it's not necessarily obvious all the time how Columbo is gonna find his leads and crack the case. If you start streamlining episodes down to 45 minutes I think naturally each case would become more simplified for the audience and Columbo's path to the answer would be obvious because they'd have to use every minute of screentime efficiently to lay the foundation for it. With the extra padding you can kinda camouflage those things a little more so the audience doesn't always see them coming from a mile way.

It also allows time to build the characters and the setting for the story.

It helps the pacing and allows for a modicum of world building so that, even though the show does follow a rather rigid template, each episode kind of has its own unique flavor and doesn't seem like it's repeating itself. And Columbo rambling on about unimportant bullshit is so great because the suspect always thinks he's getting over and is happy to indulge the Lieutenant in discussing flowers or pasta recipes for as long as he wants before Columbo busts out his whole "oh, yeah, one more thing, sir. I almost forgot" trademark.

hatty posted:

I like it when Columbo shows up halfway through the episode, he’s like the shark from Jaws

Bad fish. Swallow you whole.