Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think it's a heightened persona deal. That's how he really is but he turns up the dial when he meets a witness or a suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Dagger of the Mind in season 2 is the first episode of Columbo that's really disappointed me. He planted evidence!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Apparently the guy who made Phoenix Wright was heavily inspired by Columbo.

No idea what you could be talking about.

https://i.imgur.com/BsFWvr9.mp4

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That's a great episode. She's a real sympathetic character who just...tragically alienates everyone around her when she finds her independence. Sure, she murders her brother, but gently caress that controlling rear end in a top hat.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ultrabindu posted:

Roddy McDowell, chemical expert, is my favourite villain breakdown so far

I love this one because there's no reason on paper to like McDowell's character; it's all in the performance. Bastard is just so damned likeable.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ultrabindu posted:

Great little bit in Robert Culp's first episode where the attempted cover up of the crime is played in the lenses of his glasses

https://i.imgur.com/rKwHNsx.mp4

I love any episode of Columbo that does a fun camera thing. Like how in the John Cassavetes episode, he goes to the scene of the crime to retrieve a corsage and they have it flash in his sunglasses.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm watching Most Dangerous Match and I just keep thinking about the woodchipper in Fargo.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Payndz posted:

Read a Falk interview at The AV Club and he said in the episode he directed, he asked Spielberg the best way to set up some shots.

I am just imagining that conversation going like Columbo interviewing a suspect.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tunicate posted:

yah resorting to planting evidence is a lame resolution

What gets me most is how disappointed I was in Columbo for resorting to that. It's not so much that it's poo poo as a story thing--it doesn't make sense for the character that's been established so I'm disappointed in him.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Payndz posted:

Sound and fuuuury, signifying... NOTHING!

Yes, I just watched the London/Macbeth episode. :haw:

I kid; it wasn't that bad. It wasn't good either, but as a Brit I treated it like whenever any US show has a Very Special Episode set in Britain and considered it a comedy. Looked at like that it's pretty watchable, as Honour Blackman (who I last watched as Cathy Gale in The Avengers) and [Gypsy voice] Richard Basehart! Richard Basehart! ham it up to the max as the overly theatrical thespianic couple who accidentally kill their meal ticket and then spiral their criminal activities outwards until they become cold-blooded murderers. They're great fun as a pair of bitchy, brittle, co-dependent egotists, to the point that they almost outshine Columbo in his own show. Almost.

Whenever American TV comes to Britain (either in the Austin Powers "It's remarkable how England in no way resembles Southern California" way, or the rarer type here where they actually shot on location in the UK) you can always expect to see the following: aristocrats, stuffy and pompous public-school (a very different meaning over here) officials, black cabs, red buses, Big Ben, fish and chips, cringing Cockney proles and the visiting American at first seeming browbeaten by those clarssy arccents before showing them what's what, what. And 'Dagger of the Mind' hits all the marks. It was actually a surprise to see the episode turn up so early in the show's run - I would have expected the foreign travel gimmick to come much later. (It was kind of funny spotting the switches between genuine London footage - with grey, lovely weather - and the bright, warm sunlight of LA, though.)

Yeah, I just hate how he catches them in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I just watching that one. My jaw dropped a few minutes after that bit when I realized Falk and Culp were standing in front of a mountain of cigarette cartons. Right next to the produce! Come on kid, forget those lame apples, swipe a carton of Marlboros.