Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

FilthyImp posted:

This really shouldn't have died an ignoble death.

And really, we all have the time to marathon Columbo now.

Watch it every Saturday on MeTV!

The last Columbo episode came out in 2003, and the only reason the character didn't get a proper final sendoff is because Peter Falk was diagnosed with dementia before they could film the last script.

It's funny seeing this thread pop up when I'm nearing the end of a Columbo marathon (I'm about to watch the second William Shatner episode). I'd say the most notable episode considering the times is season 3 episode 8, "A Friend in Deed," which features an LAPD deputy police commissioner as one of the least sympathetic murderers in the show's history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

MrBling posted:

I'm bringing this thread back to life because well .. I'm still watching this!

And I'm pretty sure I just watched the worst episode of Columbo. At the very least the worst so far.

The final episode of season 5: "Last Salute to the Commodore"

Surprisingly poor, considering it was directed by Patrick McGoohan but I guess he decided to have a galaxy brain moment and do the entire episode as a normal murder mystery where the murderer isn't unveiled until the end, instead of the normal Columbo formula.
I don't really have a problem with that approach, it's fair enough after 5 seasons to try and do something a little different but the whole episode is just horrendously paced.
And they decide that Columbo needs some young sidekick detective who then never shows up again as far as I can tell.

If you're going to change things up I much prefer the subplot of the previous episode ("Now You See Him...") where Columbo is trying to get rid of the new raincoat his wife got him because it's too tight and he can't get rid of it. Only problem is that one of the other police officers keep finding it and bringing it back to him.

It's hard to say exactly what happened, but my theory is that it was a recycled script from a failed pilot or pitch that got a rush-job rewrite for Columbo. Maybe the network ordered one more episode as a surprise and everyone had to rush to get it done? I've noticed that the sound balancing for that episode is also atrocious, and the final scene with Columbo and the room full of suspects is dragged out to an agonizing degree.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Davros1 posted:

"Last Salute" is considered to be the worst of the "Classic" era. But you haven't seen bad until you get to the late 80s/90s films.

I have seen the later movies, but I would still insist that "Last Salute" is easily the worst Columbo episode.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Columbo has a pretty good diversity in terms of killers. Sometimes the killer is a terrible person, sometimes the victim is even worse. Sometimes the case is first-degree murder, sometimes it's accidental manslaughter, or even a case of self defense that would hold up in court but the killer panics and covers it up. A couple of times they don't even kill the right person.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

Annoyingly, at least in the UK, 'Last Salute To The Commadore' would get shown A LOT. It's a weird outlier of an episode that feels semi-improvised and has Falk blatantly boozed up the entire time, but I don't think anyone could call it good.

It doesn't even follow the Columbo formula. The killer turns out to not be the killer halfway through, and after that it's a traditional whodunnit right down to the last scene being an "I imagine you're all wondering why I called everyone to this room" big reveal and confrontation.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I suspect Columbo has all the relatives he mentions, but only half or less of what he says about them is true.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Rollie Fingers posted:

The villain in Ransom For A Dead Man is the absolutely the most evil character in the entire series. Even though I've watched the episode like five times there's still an amazing feeling of happiness and closure when Columbo traps her rear end at the end.

Suitable For Framing is another one with a deliciously evil murderer who gets their comeuppance in a satisfying way.

I dunno, I'd give the honor to Commissioner Halperin in "A Friend in Deed." He's rich, he's corrupt, he's unremorseful, and he takes others down with him.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Apparently the guy who made Phoenix Wright was heavily inspired by Columbo.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

it feels very wrong to me for columbo to have any first name that isn't extremely italian

"Frank" could be the short, Anglicized form of "Francesco."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

El Fideo posted:

Columbo's first name confirmed as Frank after all?

Not really confirmed, but there's more evidence that his first name is Frank than there is any other name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Payndz posted:

Weirdly, the actual murder plot felt a little strained, probably because of having almost 50 years of quirky murder mysteries following it. A definite case where if the killer had just followed modern-day common sense and not volunteered a single word to the cops, he would have got away with it. But no, he had to jump in and tell them all the decoy avenues they should be looking at instead of him. Dumbass. Like having to remember to dial an area code rather than use the operator, it was a different time.

That's the whole point of Columbo's schtick. He presents himself as a bumbling cop who just so happens to have some evidence that could point to the culprit, and thus he makes the culprit think that if they can just come up with some story that makes sense of the evidence then this cop will nod along and go away. Everyone has a right to remain silent, but Columbo tricks people into thinking that speaking up will get them into less trouble.

And remember, by the time Columbo came out there were a good 80 years of murder mysteries preceding it.