Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Payndz posted:

"It's remarkable how England looks in no way like Southern California."

As a Brit, American TV pretending to be set here is endlessly amusing. I always remember an episode of Magnum with a caption saying "Leeds, England" while showing a Cotswold village. Nnnnnnope!

Not even 24: Live Another Day (which was filmed in England) was immune - a character got from London to their remarkably Cotswold-y home in Yorkshire within one episode, or under an hour. Yeah, if they were picked up by a Harrier, maybe.

It's kinda weird when nowadays they actually shoot stuff here and pretend it's other places.

Or very occasionally, actually have it be the real place, like the Avengers having a fight at Waverley Railway Station in Edinburgh in Infinity War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

May be a controversial suggestion but M*A*S*H was (is) that same way for me. Episodic, chillax tv after long days, that could also reward attentive engaged viewing when your mind is on that wavelength.

There's even occasionally some continuity although production vs airing order fucks with it sometimes. (The most explicit case with MASH is a runner in season 4 or 5 where the 4077 invent a new type of surgical clamp because Hawkeye and BJ need it for a common type of laceration they get, and the episode where they invent it aired like 3 weeks after a 2 parter where Hawkeye and Margaret go to show it off to another unit)

There's definitely something to be said for the VCR and later DVD and streaming ages forcing TV to be a bit more aware of at least being consistent with character histories and backstories. And serialisation is a wonderful thing as well, but much like people decrying multi-camera sitcoms these days, I think it's more that there's a lot of BAD examples of formulas, which obscures how good they can be when they work.

Columbo, Murder She Wrote, even poo poo like OG Law & Order, and sitcoms like MASH or Mary Tyler Moore have a general shape you can expect, which makes the details more pleasurable. And even the odd times where the shape changes a little can be lovely too

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I've been watching Poker Face and loving it, so decided to watch Columbo since the former is very, very, very open about cribbing heavily from the latter. The first pilot with the psychiatrist who is so utterly convinced of his superior mind (he doesn't discount Columbo in the slightest! He just thinks he's smarter/better prepared!) and can't help taunting Columbo with hypotheticals that end up hanging him was so good. Especially since the episode wraps up with him just standing and smoking in a kind of bewildered acceptance that he got completely played :allears:

I actually like the second pilot a little more. The scene where the stepdaughter tries to frame the murderer because she knows her stepmom killed her dad but can't prove it, and Columbo comes in to shut her down is great. The capper being the killer being smug and saying something like "Thank you for putting an end to this nonsense, Lieutenant" and Falk just tossing out "Of course, after all, I can't arrest you on the wrong evidence" just slays me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

It is never not statisfying waiting for the exact moment when they realize he has them.
Especially how much of a pest he is to as the epsidoe elapse and by the end they want him to go away so badly.

I just finished season 7 and I still love it every time. 3 more season left and all the specials.
I can't wait to go back and rewatch them all.

And thanks to whoever responded to my question earlier about season 6 being so short. Never knew any of that. And since it sparked some talk about movies vs tv, how many actors/actresses at the time when were on the show were already known as big stars?
I'm just too young to that knowledge and time refrence to know. I know who they are because of other works they do but not where that fits in with their appearance.

I actually really like Columbo Goes To The Guillotine. It's really blatant that they just put James Randi in a Columbo episode, but it's a lot of fun if you enjoy the theatre of magic as well as the show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Good timing, since the latest season of Columbo (Poker Face) just ended!

I want to make a joke about Lyonne and Falk having the same voice without sounding mean and I don't think I'm smart enough to do so.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's clear that a good 80-90% of anything Columbo says about his private life is horseshit to sell the bumbling befuddled good cop routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

IMO, rather take the corniness of Murder in Malibu than the tasteless sexual menace of No Time To Die.

Hey, that's not fair, there's plenty of other reasons No Time To Die is the worst Bond film! :v: