Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Payndz posted:

A decent lawyer could surely have put plenty of doubt in a jury's mind about it. But hey, that's not what the show's about.

This is why I love any episode that ends with the murderer going insane and confessing everything in front of Columbo/the police. Those guys are probably going to jail. The ones that just end with a shocked "I can't believe he figured it out" face are definitely gonna get a lawyer to pick apart Columbo's circumstantial evidence and walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

I also enjoy that initial period of time where the perp is all friendly to Columbo and arrogantly glad-handing him, and then that gradual realization that Columbo might actually be a threat.

My favorite one of these is an episode - I can’t remember which one, where Columbo shows up to the crime scene with a terrible cold. When the murderer greets him, Columbo declines to shake his hand - “I’ve got an awful cold and I don’t want you to get sick, sir.”

The guy then proceeds to show Columbo around, complete with several rounds of “Well Lieutenant, it’s obvious to me that the murderer must have come in through this window” & “I think you’ll find it quite clear that the murderer must have exited through this door,” etc etc etc

Columbo then smiles, thanks the man for showing him around, and gladly extends his hand to shake the man’s hand.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m just confused because - weren’t these commentaries recorded FOR this release? Or were they for something else? If they were specifically recorded for this release, how could there be a rights issue?