Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I been slowly making the way through the series with a group, watching an episode weekly. Just seen Candidate for Crime, I like that even the weaker episodes still tend to make for some great tv. Like you really feel the run time of this one (unlike any port in a storm) but I did enjoy a lot of the longer scenes like the headlight argument he lays out on paper to the suspect. Like he has had plenty of back and forth with killers before but never one that went that into the nitty gritty. Also a fun gotcha.

I would say Dead Weight is probably my least favorite so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

candidate for crime is a classic how dare you

I thought it was good! I just thought overall it was a weaker one. And I still tend to really like the ones I think are weaker, like Short Fuse I would say is way worse than Candidate but I still had a lot of fun watching it because the killer was ridiculous.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The wife is a beard.
She does actually exist but she still is his beard.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Just finished Double Exposure with my group. Probably the most evil villain yet, a guy in marketing... And on top of that, he cheats at golf!
The trick was one you can really see coming but it ends up working because Robert Culp just sells it so well. Good ep.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Rollie Fingers posted:

The villain in Ransom For A Dead Man is the absolutely the most evil character in the entire series. Even though I've watched the episode like five times there's still an amazing feeling of happiness and closure when Columbo traps her rear end at the end.

Lee Grant is too pretty to be evil

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
But she offers free plane rides! And flies nice and calmly!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
just watched a friend in deed. it's a good one. the trick at the end with columbo revealing that he bought the apartment and everything in it is his is great, mostly for columbo pointing out various items.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I watched the exercise episode yesterday, i love not hiding his angry columbo holy poo poo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
he clearly switches modes too in some scenes. he'll be his normal columbo self and the killer arrives and it clicks for him. its like he is shifting gears on a bike. he is just leaning forward a bit more on his normal personality.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, there was furuhata ninzaburo which is pretty inspired by the columbo formula and was popular in its own right, and then there is this
https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1459041114791501839

You see references pop up here and there. loving Lupin the III had an episode about a skateboarding kid detective whose uncle is Columbo.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 26, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
one of the greatest outfits to ever grace the show

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i watch the episode with the german guy with the bad hair. it wasn't one of my favorites but i am glad the german guy with the bad hair was defeated, because i really disliked his hair.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Forgotten Lady was nuts. Def a top 10 contender for me. Lot of funny bits in it, dog eating ice cream, columbo skipping out on his test, the tree, etc. Plenty of great columbo lines too. Incredible supporting cast performances. And that ending!!
Like of course there is the memory twist but the build up to that moment was so tense and you got these moody shots of columbo all dressed up

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Just watch A Case of Immunity and oof, not a good one but it was so corny it makes up for it, ending with the King giving columbo a thumbs up

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the music gil melle for death lends a hand takes the sequence from great to unforgettable
its a major bummer the later seasons didn't had his score

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://en.shindanmaker.com/1111127
i made a dumb thing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my group watched commodore. it was like bizzaro universe columbo. so much weird touching, so much yelling. it was too baffling for me to earn any real negative feelings, but oh boy it was bad

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
watched old fashioned murder yesterday with my group. columbophile dot com has had some opinions i disagree with before but i was really surprised how low they rank this one and the number of people in the comments who disliked it. my group really enjoyed it and everyone thought ruth was up there when it comes to killers lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
columbo is creepy in general that episode. he invades everyone's space and not just her's though that was def the worst offender. I coulda got on board with the general sense of weirdness if that didn't made the whole episode uncomfortable to watch because of that and the screaming in places.

it's funny they setup mac as a smartie and then he is more useless than wilison. total nothing character.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It's this old man, which while goofy isn't out of the left field since it's columbo's theme and they were going into this thinking it was the finale. it's like the one bit of the episode that works but that also ends up making it feel even more out of place.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 23, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my group watched make me a perfect murder recently, really enjoyed it. i tend to enjoy the #girlboss killers the most but i didn't really connect with kay. but it makes up for it bt being a nice looking episode. the murder sequence is really good despite being nothing new, just well paced and tense. big fan of the two breakdown scenes (elevator and columbo on the TV screens)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its hard for me to tell between commodore, or the most recent episode i watch, murder in malibu, is worse. on one hand commodore is at least weird enough to be interesting while bad, while malibu is just a snoozefest, but on the other hand i actively dislike columbo in commodore

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh i forgot to say i finished the show. its great but oh god those ed mcbain adapations loving suck.

anyway my big take is if The Conspirators actually ended with the boat getting away it would have shot up from a decent episode to great. it would finally let a killer get a win which would be perfect for a finale, but columbo still catches them in what counts. columbo just out smarting them on every flank felt unnecessary.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i always think about the jamie lee curtis bit even though its so small

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i want

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The plane ride is probably one of my favorite scenes in the series too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

This isn't for everyone, but for those it's for; this is for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-8zgBQ4Fo8

woah, columbo MADs

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Thank you Covid-19 and Poker Face for making columbo popular again

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The one that always sticks with me is Forgotten Lady

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 13, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just finished The Prisoner and the final two episodes were absolutely brilliant so it's so funny to compare those highs with PMG's lows with commodore.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Was thinking about this show again today. Something I really like about those last 2 seasons of the original run when they switched show runners is it the closest the show gets to almost having like a through line between episodes. The killers act much more as foils to Columbo, and reflecting back to focus on some aspect of his character whether it be his intelligence, the love of his job, or just how he feels about people. Its good stuff and goes a long way of making those episodes feel like something a bit more new while still keeping to the formula.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
No matter what order you use I recommend following up with the In My Mind documentary that is about the show. It is honestly kinda corny but has some really great footage of PMG that gets across how intense and weird the guy was.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
all those audio commentaries... drat i want that collection

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ed mcbain episodes are hands down the worst because even as bad as some other episodes get at least they are not bad and have scenes centered around sexual menace that feel incredibly out of place with the rest of the series

e: honestly the 90s episodes get a bit of a bum rap. overall they are def a step down and contain some of the worst episodes but stuff like columbo vs hugh hefner or columbo vs steven spielberg are still a lot of fun to me even if its not executed as well as some of the earlier stuff.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 25, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Using a time machine to just stop the McBain episodes from ever being filmed

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i don't like procedurals so i can't weigh in on that, but yeah that form of sexual menace should never be part of a columbo story

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
IMO, rather take the corniness of Murder in Malibu than the tasteless sexual menace of No Time To Die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like that Columbo does just straight up like the jerks too and find stuff about them charming. It makes the few where he truly despises them feel extra special.