Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Got the boxset as an anniversary gift yesterday. Awwwwww yes

Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Moonlighting rules by the way, this conversation reminded me of that a bit. Bruce went right from Moonlighting to getting a record zillion dollars for Die Hard, so it seems at least in some cases TV actors were getting treated well going into film. By the 80s at least. Tom Hanks was in Splash just a couple years after Bosom Buddies, but it was a thing for sure.

Columbo rules, I gotta watch more of that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Aye Doc posted:

everyone's going to rediscover Columbo because of Poker Face, this was Rian Johnson's sick plan the whole time wasn't it. my Columbo re-watch is going super, up through end of season 4 now and this season felt like it was absolutely loaded with good episodes and *amazing* guest stars. it's making me wonder..... is Murder she Wrote worth a watch at all if I'm vibing with Columbo? it's a looooot of content to get through, maybe I'd just watch the first 6 seasons or something, but does it scratch the same itch as Poker Face/Columbo?

Definitely worth a look, but I watch these episodic older mystery shows by watching misc eps, not continuous. Picked from people's fav lists, imdb and forums etc, ones my Mom liked, a whim, stuff like that. Just because my interest level is in say 15 eps for example of one of these instead of 150. And I find it's more fun to spread those 15 eps around than just watching the first season for example. But it is rad if you're into it enough to watch the whole thing for these. I can at least say my Mom can vouch for all of Murder She Wrote (at least up until the last couple seasons).

I'd also recommend a few Magnum P.I. episodes, and I really enjoy the Magnum/Murder She Wrote crossover two-parter. They made a version of the Magnum P.I. episode that wraps it up quickly instead of going into the two-parter, so need to make sure you find the right versions. I'd say check out the Murder She Wrote Pilot ep at least, I gave that a 10/10 on imdb, and in general I find these 80s pilots are just really good. Miami Vice too etc, plus that's a show I like enough to watch most of, at least through season 3. And Moonlighting as mentioned, hunt that down, it's solid gold. I actually couldn't skip any of that one. Well, through season 3 again, these shows usually have some clunky later seasons.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

drat those are cool.

Just watched s5e5 Now You See Him, hot diggity that is some strong Columbo. That's a fun one, Jack Cassidy is too dang delicious in his evilness. Falk is a delight as ever too, and just so much style and fun mood to it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This is the Columbo content I crave! That statue is rad too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Absolutely, happy Columbo day! We give a Falk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Moonlighting is on Hulu now by the way, after many years in limbo. Highly recommend!