Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Columbo is one of my top 5 TV shows of all time. Out of the later episodes 'Columbo Undercover' and 'Columbo Goes To College' are as good as the best episodes from the '70s.

'Dagger of the Mind' otoh is one of the worst things I've watched on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s p bad. The murderer manages to completely tie up all loose ends and stymie Columbo. So instead of solving the case through his careful observation he bullshits evidence that doesn’t exist and fools the murderer into making a confession. Columbo’s usually really good about depicting the way the police should work instead of fetishising and hero worshipping the way they actually do like every other cop show. May as well have him start carrying a loving gun

Also that it was supposed to be set in London yet 90% of it is filmed in California and they did an incredibly lazy job of making California look like London.

Also the writer had obviously never visited London and still thought people in '70s London still spoke and acted like Dickens' characters. The murdered man's name was a play on Miss Havisham for god' sake.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The villain in Ransom For A Dead Man is the absolutely the most evil character in the entire series. Even though I've watched the episode like five times there's still an amazing feeling of happiness and closure when Columbo traps her rear end at the end.

Suitable For Framing is another one with a deliciously evil murderer who gets their comeuppance in a satisfying way.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I dunno, I'd give the honor to Commissioner Halperin in "A Friend in Deed." He's rich, he's corrupt, he's unremorseful, and he takes others down with him.

He’s a good shout for sure. That episode is my favourite in the whole series.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Lee Grant is too pretty to be evil

Apart from being a murderer, she’s a tort lawyer who helps corporations escape damages and psychologically abuses an orphaned girl in her care.

Afaik she’s the only villain in the show who’s shown to be cruel to kids.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Dick Van Dyke should've been a recurring villain. I thought his performance was one the best in the series.

Perhaps he was too convincing as an irritable, narcissistic murderer that he thought it could affect his reputation as the most wholesome man in showbiz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

It’s best not to think about it.

For example, in one episode he arrests the killer because the victim’s shoe laces were tied the wrong way round.